Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/13/2006 10:29:10 AM EDT
Hey all, I have been looking through the posts and I think that they are great, an excellent website. However it doesn’t seem that anyone else uses their rifle for what I would like to use my, still to be purchased rife, for. I am moving down to Texas this summer and a family member of mine has a large plot of land in West Texas, which requires offing some wild hogs. For those of you that are unfamiliar they can max out around 200lbs. currently they are shot with big game rifles but it isn’t very efficient when it come to the number taken.

Anyway, they like to run and stuff when you start shooting at them so I will need to start shooting when they are around 25yrds or less, but would also like to hit them at a further range. So what I am getting at is that I will need an optics that I can use for close range shooting and from further way with good accuracy. Does any one have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#1]
First there are a bunch of hog hunters on this board and there is a wealth of information about it. Sounds like your looking for either a Eotech or an Aimport.. either will suit you well and they are both as good as it gets for fast moving targets.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the ACOG TA31 low power the  best. You might want to save a few bucks and go with a Aimpoint or Eotech.  I have had both and like the Aimpoint a little more but both are great.  The Aimpoint will cost you a little more because of the mount but it is worth it IMO.  Make sure when you get an AR its a flat top.

Edit to say: Welcome to AR15.com
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
... so I will need to start shooting when they are around 25yrds or less, but would also like to hit them at a further range. So what I am getting at is that I will need an optics that I can use for close range shooting and from further way with good accuracy. Does any one have any suggestions?

Best tool for the job will be an Aimpoint with the 3X magnifier on a Samson Flip Mount.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Eotech
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Leupold CQT !    
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... so I will need to start shooting when they are around 25yrds or less, but would also like to hit them at a further range. So what I am getting at is that I will need an optics that I can use for close range shooting and from further way with good accuracy. Does any one have any suggestions?

Best tool for the job will be an Aimpoint with the 3X magnifier on a Samson Flip Mount.

www.pbase.com/edwin907/image/50171825/original.jpg

www.pbase.com/edwin907/image/50171435/original.jpg

Sweet rifle. Yours?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I have shot Hogs with several different weapons and calibers from buggys, tree stands and on the ground. I think my favorite set up has been my Marlin Lever in .35Rem with an Aimpoint M2. The 200 grain projectile performs well on their thick skulls and solid shoulders and it maintains it's trajectory when shooting through heavy vegitation like the thick palmetto heads down here in Florida. The Aimpiont is ideal for hitting a moving target. Just remember your shotguning skills and keep the barrel moving.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a red dot on my .50 Beowulf and a 1.5-4.5 scope on my Su16. The low power scope works well with both eyes open on 1.5 power and then crank it up for the longer shots.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I like the ACOG TA31 low power the  best. You might want to save a few bucks and go with a Aimpoint or Eotech.  I have had both and like the Aimpoint a little more but both are great.  The Aimpoint will cost you a little more because of the mount but it is worth it IMO.  Make sure when you get an AR its a flat top.

Edit to say: Welcome to AR15.com

An alternative to an ACOG is an ELCAN - which is similar in purpose and capablities, but seems to have a wider field of view (which might make 25 yard shots easier)
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Take a look at the Trijicon AccuPoint model # TR21R 1.25-4x24 red triangle reticle riflescope. LINK

The Aimpoint/ EOTech with the 3X magnifier is another alternate choice but at a higher cost than the AccuPoint.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
www.trijicon.com/parts/ACF34AE.jpg

Take a look at the Trijicon AccuPoint model # TR21R 1.25-4x24 red triangle reticle riflescope. LINK

The Aimpoint/ EOTech with the 3X magnifier is another alternate choice but at a higher cost than the AccuPoint.

Both would be my top 2 choices as well.

The Eotech with the 3X being #1.  It's awesome.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Can you put an Eotech on an A2 upper?  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:04:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Trijicon Accu-point or TA-11 are my only suggestions for anything with magnification.

This rifle sports a Sightron 2.5-7x32 SG scope.  Not bad either as an option.  The scope is now on an extra 20" upper that I had, and is used for getting rid of ground squirrels.  This rifle now has a TA01NSN or TA-11 depending on what I need to do that day.

Frankly, an Aimpoint with 4 or 7 MOA dot is fine.  EOTech is a great option too (and yes you can mount it to an A2 by any number of ways but the BC-CAM is probably the most popular).

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#14]
What would be the advantage to mounting it onto a flat top as opposed to an A2? I was actually leaning toward the A2, for the open sights and the versitility.

But other then that thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#15]
EOtech. Super fast.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

That scope right there would serve you VERY well for <200 yard hogs.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What would be the advantage to mounting it onto a flat top as opposed to an A2? I was actually leaning toward the A2, for the open sights and the versitility.

While the A2 is nice for a KISS gun, as soon as you start thinking about optics, the flat top really is the way to go.

With a flat-top, you can mount and EOtech (for example) the way it is supposed to be mounted, with a solid fit and the correct height.  With an A2 handle, you have to start figuring out weird extended rails and other stuff, that is likely not going to be as solid, and may be mounted high.  It's still possible with A2, but more complicated.

And, you lose nothing by going with the flat-top, because you can always put a carry handle if you decide to go back to a KISS concept, or back-up iron sights (BUIS) on it anyway - which is what most people lose.

The way I see it, you lose nothing by going with the flat-top, but you limit your future options for optics by going with the A2.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While the A2 is nice for a KISS gun, as soon as you start thinking about optics, the flat top really is the way to go.

With a flat-top, you can mount and EOtech (for example) the way it is supposed to be mounted, with a solid fit and the correct height.  With an A2 handle, you have to start figuring out weird extended rails and other stuff, that is likely not going to be as solid, and may be mounted high.  It's still possible with A2, but more complicated.

And, you lose nothing by going with the flat-top, because you can always put a carry handle if you decide to go back to a KISS concept, or back-up iron sights (BUIS) on it anyway - which is what most people lose.

The way I see it, you lose nothing by going with the flat-top, but you limit your future options for optics by going with the A2.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You will actually lose versatility with the A2.  Go with the A4 config, get a BUIS, and whatever optic you want.  The Aimpoint or EOTech are good choices.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My current view is flat top with an A1 carry handle.  Back-up irons should be simple.  A2 carry handles have match sights with way more parts than necessary.  If you are buying a flat top rifle and are planning for a carry handle, check into the difference in buying an A1 over an A2 if you really want to stick to KISS with some optics versatility.

On the TR21-R Accupoint, that set-up on a Larue SPR-EE is probably my next scope if I can ever save enough without the next cash sucking episode of my life striking out of the blue.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Why do you need optics for hogs?  You ever gonna take one at more than 250-300 yards?
Don't need glass if your using .223 to do that.

Above being said, I'd use something a little bigger.  How 'bout a .30-.30?

Or for a real challenge use a pistol.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Those hogs are pretty tough-you want a clean, fast and humane kill -nothing less than a .270 for me.If you hit a hog in she shoulder w/a 223 at 200 yards he might die, but not fot a while. Just my opinion.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top