Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/14/2006 8:45:25 PM EDT
I know some of this has been ... that being said;

I am mentally overloaded trying to figure out what scope to get!

Mounting on a 5.56 A3 20" 1/7, w/YHM front & rear folders.

Want to be able to see impact @ NO less than 100yds.

Will be trading a NIB 608 SS 6" Taurus + $ if needed. (So yeah... a smaller budget)

This will be mostly a distance (2-600yrd.) paper punching tack driver (hopefully), unless for some reason it needs to be deployed on soft target.

Will be trying several rounds including 55 & 77, 78 gr.

Now my FFL says if you find what ever you want, he will send FFL to get dealer price, so cash may be an option instead of the trade. (depending on savings)

I've looked @ IOR, SS, and several... many others. I think a fixed may be best, somthing with a 50mm or so bell and somewhere in the 16x fixed range. So cash dealer price in the $400 range and $500 or so in trade.

Hope this is explicit enough... I'm going crosseyed I'm so tired. So if it doesn't make sense, please forgive me.

Thanks,
David
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:54:08 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT for day crew
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:24:23 AM EDT
[#2]
the super sniper is a good scope for the money.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:41:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Too much scope if you ask me.  I'd get a variable power scope, in low light, dial it down to lower magnifications, it will allow more light through the scope.  3x9 variable would be my choice, given your requirements.
Me, 4X ACOG!  I'll leave the bullet holes to the spotter with his spotting scope to see.  A rifle scope should do what it does best, and not do double duty as an auxilary spotting scope  A spotting scope is something you should get anyway, unless you plan to equip all of your weapons with high magnification optics.

The Super Sniper is a good value, too bad it doesn't offer a variable power model.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:14:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
<snip>
A rifle scope should do what it does best, and not do double duty as an auxilary spotting scope.
<snip>

I realize this. I do have a spoting scope. What I mean is that I would like to be able to see the target well enough at 100yrds. to make out the POI. I have a 3-9x42 and a 4x24. Both are decent, but after 100yrds. I lose more detail than I'd like.

I guess I would like to be able to put the retical on the X at no less than 100yrds.

Thanks
David
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:30:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the tactical set up with my carbine. 3-9x42 scope or my Eotech 512.

I would like to have a decent scope (for the $ stated above) for shooting out to 600yrds. From what I have been told and understand, if you have a variable scope, the higher the magnification goes up the less clear and or the more steady you have to hold it. (I'm talking about beyond 9x)

OTOH, the fixed higher power as a 16 or 20x, isn't as senative to movement as a varaible 6-20x would be rung out to the max magnification.

I don't want to turn this into a variable Vs. fixed... just the better scope/brand for MY application for the $ I can spend.

Thanks,
David

edited for spelling
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ya know Duffy, I gotta compliment you...Over the last year it REALLY shows you've been lightening up your platforms and keeping things slimmed down. All your tactical classes you've been taking are showing their wealth!

Victor, having an exprienced NV and gear guru to give me guidance helps
Alas with the MRP, it's already heavy.  To make the rifle versatile and give it an all weather capability (I believe the US miliatary considers night a weather condition), it needs appropriate gears which make it heavier than a day only weapon  Versatility does carry a weighty price.

Anyhow, how is a fixed scope less sensitive to movement?  Are you talking about the scope's internal mechanism?  That might have been true 20 years ago, but today, variable magnification scopes from quality manufacturers are just as tough as fixed variants, while giving the shooter far more options.

In precision rifle classes, we almost always use the highest magnification on our optics, save for one: low light conditions.  Versatility in a variable power scope in this case does not have a penalty.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
<snip>
Anyhow, how is a fixed scope less sensitive to movement?  Are you talking about the scope's internal mechanism?  That might have been true 20 years ago, but today, variable magnification scopes from quality manufacturers are just as tough as fixed variants, while giving the shooter far more options.

In precision rifle classes, we almost always use the highest magnification on our optics, save for one: low light conditions.  Versatility in a variable power scope in this case does not have a penalty.

Ok... when you have 2 scopes side by side, 1 fixed 20x and 1 variable up to 20x, the variable is maxed out at 20x and 'normally' have less field of view @ 100yrds than a fix 20x... so the movement of the scope would be more sensative than a fixed.

So... I am not looking for a variable powered scope... I'm looking for a fixed 16 or 20x scope. If anyone has advice on a quility fixed scope for the $ stated in 1st post, please let me know. Other wise, I don't need info on a variable scope. I appreciate your advice, but that is not what I want this rifle for.

Thanks anyway,
David
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top