Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 8:39:05 AM EDT
Trying to figure out what optic I want to go with? This will go on a Spike's dedicated ST-22LR. This gun will be used for squirrel hunting and punching holes in paper etc.I have a LaRue LT104 1.5 mount I will be mounting it on. What I am thinking is a Leupold or Nikon 3-9x40. I am wanting to stay in the $150-$200 price range.I know one advantage the Leupold has is that it is made in the USA and I dont think the Nikon is. But I think I can get the Nikon cheaper.Is it as good as the Leupold or not? Or should I go in a totaly different direction? Just wanted some other opinions on this!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#1]
theres a seller on ebay with new 3 by 9 prostaffs for around 120,, a leupold is out of your price range unless you can find a used one.. btw ive got both and the leupold is just a little bit better
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
theres a seller on ebay with new 3 by 9 prostaffs for around 120,, a leupold is out of your price range unless you can find a used one.. btw ive got both and the leupold is just a little bit better

Midway has a Leupold Rifleman for $199.99.And could probably find on a little cheaper in the EE or last resort Ebay.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I have found that $150 -$200 Nikon is comparable to a $300-$350 Leupold.   The Buckmasters from Nikon have features that the ultra low end Leupold VXIs do not and are closer to the VXII line.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Midway has a Leupold Rifleman for $199.99.And could probably find on a little cheaper in the EE or last resort Ebay.

I don't like those because they use friction dials that are not repeatable.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#5]
The Nikon's are nice for the money.  Very good galss, but not very good multi-coating.  That makes them harder to use in low light and when looking directly into the sun.

The Burris Fullfield II is $189, and is a superior scope.  Leopold is the most reliable, but I wouldn't really start considering them until the VX-II line or higher.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:09:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like those because they use friction dials that are not repeatable.

This, I hve a VX1 & friggin hate the friction dials so much that if I didn't get such a good deal I'd have taken it back or dumped it on the EE.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Nikon's are nice for the money.  Very good galss, but not very good multi-coating.  That makes them harder to use in low light and when looking directly into the sun.

The Burris Fullfield II is $189, and is a superior scope.  Leopold is the most reliable, but I wouldn't really start considering them until the VX-II line or higher.

Well alot of the time squirrel hunting your either looking into the sun,cloudy day, low light of morning and afternoon.So I think so far its the Leupold VX-II.I guess my budget of $150-$200 can change a little.I dont even know why I put amounts,I have already learned I cant build AR's and stick to a budget!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I was in the exact same situation. I compared the two in the store and could see no real difference to justify the extra money for the Leupold (I'm no scope expert though) . I ended up with a 3x9x40 Nikon Prostaff with a BDC reticle. It has worked great so far.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#9]
i have a Nikon Monarch 3-9 on my Xbolt and love it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Everyone here seems to endorse Leupold in my area. I myself am getting a Mark 4 for my M21. It will be my first one. Leupold offered what I needed for that rifle at a not so astronomical cost. I have had Nikon optics in the past and have had good results. The buckmaster line served me well. Pretty cost effective and you can clearly see everything even after the sun has set needing a flashlight to find your way. If my desire didn't require my M21 to be made up of entirely of parts and equipment made in the USA I would've gone back to Nikon probably.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Decisions,Decisions,Decisions!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I am seriously beginning to question whether or not Leupold is really made in America anymore.

ETA: I like my 2 sightron 3-9 scopes.  I have an SI 3-9x40 and an older SII 3-9x42. The SII has better clarity and relief than my Leupold varixIII 4.5-14x40 when they are both set to 9 power. Enough so that it is kinda aggravating. It is a very easy to live with scope.  It is in the price
range of the nikons etc. The kicker is that I had crushed The tube on my SI and my SII I bought used and there was a glass chip running around inside. I asked sightron if they could repair them for a cost and I got a short, almost terse, "send them in". They replaced the SI and rebuilt the SII for free.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am seriously beginning to question whether or not Leupold is really made in America anymore.

I think them Leupold cheapies might not all be.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Dad and I each have the 2-7x33 Riflemans on Ruger 10-22's, nothing to complain about and made in USA

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2304373
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#15]
For rimfire I've found Mueller optics to fit the bill nicely for not too much money.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think them Leupold cheapies might not all be.

I bought a 3-9 x 40 VXII in 2007.  Nowhere on the scope or the box did it say were it was made.  Nevertheless it's been a great hunting scope.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#17]
FWIW, Im content with a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 on one of my hunting ARs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I also have a Nikon 3-9 x 40 that I have had on a Winchester M70 for over 20 years without a single issue.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40. Love it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#20]
You killed that poor puppy?!

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Check out the Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40 here. It has a BDC reticle , which you might not want. The word is that these are rebadged Monarch UCC scopes from 2007. I don't have one, but it's what I plan on getting for my 30-06, unless I move up to a $400+ scope.

GL
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Where the Leopolds shine is in performance in the feild. Sun glare, dust, water submersion, rain, etc. No fogging in extreme heat (Texas and FL summers) or extreme cold (TN and MN winters)..

As far as price you buy cheap you have to wonder and you diminish your confidence.

Save for the best optics you can afford. I have owned older Nikons made in Japan and they were worth the money,  but when they started making them in China I stopped buying them. If Leopold has a product made in China i would not purchase it either.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#23]
As a side note the mount and rings are equally important. The one piece ring mount units are the best. Can any one say Larue!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
As a side note the mount and rings are equally important. The one piece ring mount units are the best. Can any one say Larue!!

I already have a LaRue QD LT-104 waiting for the perfect mate.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
but when they started making them in China I stopped buying them. If Leopold has a product made in China i would not purchase it either.

Mine says MADE IN PHILIPPIANS you consider that CHINA.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#26]
for a .22 a nikon is the way to go. decent glass and your shots will not be far out (i.e. over 200 yards)
put the extra money towards ammo.
I have two scoped rifles. Both wear a leupold vx II 4x12.
They are both ridiculously accurate and I love the scopes. However they are in 25-06 and 300 wsm so I did not want
a cheap scope on them. the leupold vx II line is the "lowest" i'd go on their line of scopes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#27]
i have a  leopold fixed 12x , it is a real clear an crisp piece of glass but the windege an elevation sucks bad, no clicks, very hard to return to zero.  just bought a nikon 6x18 for about half the $ an am very pleased ,. as clear as the leopold . i can see the .223 hole pretty good at 300yds.  

when i need another scope i'm lookin at nikon.     my 02cents
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Where the Leopolds shine is in performance in the feild. Sun glare, dust, water submersion, rain, etc. No fogging in extreme heat (Texas and FL summers) or extreme cold (TN and MN winters)..

As far as price you buy cheap you have to wonder and you diminish your confidence.

Save for the best optics you can afford. I have owned older Nikons made in Japan and they were worth the money,  but when they started making them in China I stopped buying them. If Leopold has a product made in China i would not purchase it either.

What he says.I own 9 hunting rifles and shotguns with scopes the scopes are all Leupold.I have never had a Leupold loss zero for getting dropped or banging around behind the seat of the 4X4 I can't say the same for other scopes I have used.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I've got 5 Leupold scopes and a smattering of Nikon and Pentax. The camera maker scopes are a good value. They tend to be lower priced because they don't have "the name" of the historical scope makers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Problem solved! I just purchased a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 matte on Ebay for $240. I think I done pretty good they are $330-$350 not including shipping in Midway and Cabelas.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top