Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/22/2016 10:29:07 AM EDT
Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some opinions / reviews on, un-magnified, or variable power optics for use on the AR platform.  

I have tried a very wide variety of quality optics, but one thing I have never used is a 1X (zero magnification), etched reticle optic.  This is the route I think I want to go for my latest AR, the BCM HSP Jack Carbine.  I currently have a Vortex Sparc II red dot on it, and it works quite well.  However, I want to move away from battery dependence.  

A couple options that I know are out there, and I have been considering are:

Vortex Spitfire Prism Scope (the new AR version coming out this summer looks sick).  I like the price point of this optic at MSRP $349 including mount.  However the reticle (DRT) seems like it would mess with my vision down range.  Almost seems dizzying to look at.  Anyone have this optic, that can chime in on the effectiveness of the DRT reticle?  They make this optic in a 3x fixed magnification, and the reticle on that version is actually pretty awesome (EBR-556B reticle).  But I don't want a fixed 3x I don't think.

Leupold Prismatic Tactical 1x14.  This one may be ideal for what I'm looking for, as I do like the reticle okay.  It wouldn't be my first choice but the Circle Plex isn't too distracting and seems like it would be accurate out around 300 yards, with a 0.5 MOA thick crosshair.  This one is around $600 retail.  I don't mind paying for a good optic, but price will play a factor in my decision to some degree.

If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
However, I want to move away from battery dependence.  

If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.  
View Quote

Check out the Trijicon TR series.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I've owned the Leupold Prismatic, it's an excellent optic and sounds exactly like what you're looking for. The optional illumination module will run 250hrs at the lowest setting (my own tests) which is all I ever used anyway for lowlight use. However, I've tried both the circle-plex and DCD (double circle dot) reticle and prefer the DCD for fast shooting (YMMV).
Tomac
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#3]
It's 1.5x, but the Trijicon TA44 is really nice optic. Etched reticle, fiber optic illumination, no batteries, compact, and light.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've owned the Leupold Prismatic, it's an excellent optic and sounds exactly like what you're looking for. The optional illumination module will run 250hrs at the lowest setting (my own tests) which is all I ever used anyway for lowlight use. However, I've tried both the circle-plex and DCD (double circle dot) reticle and prefer the DCD for fast shooting (YMMV).
Tomac
View Quote

So you liked the Double circle dot then?  That is basically what the Vortex Spitfire has.  I haven't looked through the optic yet to see how it actually looks, just pics online.  With the double circles it almost just looks confusing.  Also the vortex states 3000 hours of battery life on lowest illum setting.  At half the price of the Leupold, and with the Vortex V.I.P. warranty, that would be the route I'd go, if the reticle works for me.

This is a good post, thank you for it.  Fast shooting is the primary objective of this rig that I'm setting up.  I have my "predator hunting" set up already in my other AR, with a 1-4 Vortex Viper PST.  I love that scope a lot.  I just don't want the weight on the new rig.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's 1.5x, but the Trijicon TA44 is really nice optic. Etched reticle, fiber optic illumination, no batteries, compact, and light.
View Quote

Yeah an ACOG was my first thought.  Only thing I'm iffy about is fixed magnification.  I do a lot of both eyes open shooting, especially at local carbine and 3-gun matches.  So I really want something with a true 1x.  1.5x may not bee too back though.  I may see if I can get my hands on one to look at.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I've not looked through a Vortex Spitfire but a buddy has the Leupold and it's quite nice.  The illumination works very well and the glass and reticle look great.

I hate the price but would love to own one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yeah an ACOG was my first thought.  Only thing I'm iffy about is fixed magnification.  I do a lot of both eyes open shooting, especially at local carbine and 3-gun matches.  So I really want something with a true 1x.  1.5x may not bee too back though.  I may see if I can get my hands on one to look at.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I felt the same way and was surprised how well the 1.5x worked with both eyes open even as closer ranges.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use the 1.5x ACOG at some local matches here in Texas, compared to a red-dot with my astigmatism (even corrected) it works better for me. The 1.5x isn't too distracting and is nice on longer shots.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Vortex SpitFire goes on sale at PSA for $149.   When you use the SpitFire, whichever circle or dot your brain chooses to target with makes the others fade from notice in your eye/mind, sort of like when tunnel vision occurs.   This of course is all in your head, but that is what seems to happen.    

Millet makes the 1-4x24 DMS with an etched reticle.    I think they are discontinued, but maybe you can still find one.  Same thing with this one, the unused circle or dot fades from your notice.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I use the 1.5x ACOG at some local matches here in Texas, compared to a red-dot with my astigmatism (even corrected) it works better for me. The 1.5x isn't too distracting and is nice on longer shots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also have astigmatism.  Dots don't work the best for me.  With my polarized RX lenses, the SPARC is crystal clear and pinpoint accurate for me, but without them, not so much... I see a star..LOL

This is another main reason I want etched reticle and prismatic lenses.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top