Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/27/2003 11:24:51 AM EDT
Ok, I'm looking to get some sort of optiocs for my AR after getting used to the iron sights. I have a 16" Bushmaster flat-top, used at the moment for 100 yards or less. I do not currently have plans on shooting over 100 yards, as the range I go to is 100 max. I am not currently planning on long distance competitions or ranges, so if I ever need something for more than 100 yards I realize something I buy now won't cut it. So .....

What would be a good choice for my needs? I don't know that I will need anything that is magnified, so should I just go with something like an Eotech or Aimpoint? I haven't shot the AR at 100 yards yet, so don't know how big of a target/bullseye I would be aiming for, so don't know how I would handle a non-magnified at that distance.

I also don't want to get something magnified that I rarely use, since it would really only benefit me at 100 yards (I would guess).

So, that points me to Eotech or Aimpoint. Between the 2, without seeing either in person, I would lean towards the Eotech. It's just tough for me to pick one without seeing it in person, so any thoughts on one over the other would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Deniro, I'm in the same boat...trying to decide which one to get.  

I have seen both...the Eotech/Bushnell is really kinda strange in that the reticle seems to float out in front of you, and it isn't really solid...I'm gonna have a hard time describing it, but the reticle looks weird, like it's made up from a bunch of little dots.  There's a great big fat circle around a smaller center circle; it's the outer circle that looks strange.  Could take some getting used to.  On the plus side, though, the sight feels very "open", there's not as much of it in your field of view, as it were.  

The aimoint has a more traditional style of dot, which I prefer.  There is more of a sensation of looking through a tube, though, since it's longer.  

Now, this is from recollection...a guy from my range shows up with a couple of M16s from time to time, and he looks like he hijacked a truck from SWFA...he has 1 of EVERY thing you can imagine.  

The aimpoints are really cool, but I think for CQB, indoor, lower light, that kinda stuff, the Eotech might be better.  That big outer ring is like 65moa...can't miss that bad boy.  

Of course, if you think you might be needing to make the occasional longer shot, the Aimpoint might be better.  

I keep going back and forth...the Aimpoint for cool factor, plus they're good sights, and the Eotech, which is good, but for a slightly different application.  Plus, it might be that the Eotech makes it easier to use a BUIS without additional mounting hardware.  

Remember, I don't own either one of these, and I'm not trying to pass myself off as an expert.  Hopefully, some folks who use both of these can let us know how they like 'em.  

Coincidentally, I was on the Midway sight right before I popped over here...just sent 'em my C&R license, so I get a little of a discount.  The Comp C is $269, and the Holosight is $229.  If I get the Aimpoint, then I want an A.R.M.S. #38..and that's another $150...so I went back and forth between the two 'til I gave myself a headache and came over here lol.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you gone to any local shops to check one out.  Maybe approach someone who has one of these at the range.  Don't have an EOTECH but I know a ton of folks who love them.  I have the Aimpoint M2 and the ARMS#22M68 mount for my bush shorty flattop.  It has worked well for me.  With the Aimpoint, I have improved my groups at longer distances considerably.  What I don't like about the Aimpoint is the lens covers (when flipped open) can block your view at times.  You would not have this problem with the EOTECH.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Have you gone to any local shops to check one out.  Maybe approach someone who has one of these at the range.  Don't have an EOTECH but I know a ton of folks who love them.  I have the Aimpoint M2 and the ARMS#22M68 mount for my bush shorty flattop.  It has worked well for me.  With the Aimpoint, I have improved my groups at longer distances considerably.  What I don't like about the Aimpoint is the lens covers (when flipped open) can block your view at times.  You would not have this problem with the EOTECH.
View Quote

Try mounting your caps so that they flip downwards. Sorry about the picture quality but you get the idea.

[img]http://paul.223.tripod.com/Firearms/Long_Arms/Rifle_Details/Aimpoint_Comp_ML/Front_of_Comp_ML.GIF[/img]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I am leaning towards the Aimpoint Comp series and just opened a thread to see if anyone can tell me if they are the way to go. I myself just want a self defense mode short range SHTF type of situation.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I will give that a try Troy.  I love my Aimpoint cobra, it has improved my groups at all distances (when shooting for accuracy) a great deal.  Target acquisition as closer ranges is awesome.  It does take some getting used to using the Aimpoint with both eyes open.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Why not get an OKO scope. They work well, and are more "open" than the the Aimpoint or EOTech. The dot isn't fuzzy and Brownells has them for $150. with C&R or FFL.

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I have both sights on two otherwise identical 16" Olys. The Eotech is simply a more advanced design. You begin to appreciate this when you get some sort of crud on the lenses (as happens when you are shooting in real terrain rather from behind a sterile firing line). Also, the radial lines in the Eotech are extremely handy for refining your aim when you must shoot from an akward (read: not upright) position.
The one advantage the Aimpoint has is when you initially turn it on. You can dial directly to the approximately correct brightness setting without having to look through the scope. With the Eotech, you have to punch the ON button; then use the up and down buttons to adjust while confirming through the scope. This seems to take forever; particularly when you've just shown up for a jungle match and the rangemaster yells "TARGET!" while you're still unloding your stuff from the car.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Aimpoint ML2 or M2.  The CET diode has amazing battery life, sharp definition of the dot, and is more durable than a traditional illumination system.  Aimpoints are probably a tad less durable than a Trijicon Reflex but are a helluva lot lighter and less bulky.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Aimpoint all the way.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I concur with one one fella said.  You are in Virginia and I know alot of guys here live there.  You should post that you want to meet up to shoot and hope that they have a variety of scopes.  There is nothing like you deciding what you want after firing using the aimpoint and eotech.  I own a eotech and love it.  I have never shot using an aimpoint.  Both are probably good.  It may come down to your personal preference.  Try shooting with both and decide yourself.  too much money at stake to screw up.  i like the simplicity of the eotech not needing to spend $150 or more on scope rings.  good luck in your decision.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, shops around here (Richmond, VA) that I know of don't carry items like this. Not a big market for them. I also don't know anyone at the range I go to (Black Creek), and people I see shoot either .22 or handguns. There's another local shop I'm going to try and get to, but I don't know what they may carry.
I figure at this point it is mainly a personal preference, but it is nice to see something in person first. They should both be fine for my purpose.

So, if I get the Eotech, then I do not need anything else to mount it to a flattop, right? I can get a BUIS if I want, but that's a separate deal.

With the Aimpoint, I would have a few more ways to mount it. I could get the ARMS 22M68, a space (full or half?), and that's it? Or I could use the 22M68 and the forward cantilever mount thing that is new by ARMS. Plus other ways, I guess.

[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=163794]This[/url] thread has 2 pictures of the Aimpoint like I am talking about.

It looks like the Aimpoint would be more money with the mounts, etc. Anyway, I'll try to check more local places. If anyone reading this is in the Richmond area and wants to stop by Black Creek one day (not on the weekends), that would be great.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top