Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2003 6:59:14 PM EDT
I have an A2 upper receiver with 20" A2 profile barrel.  Right now it has just the standard A2 removable handguards.  In an attempt to gain some accuracy while using a tight sling and while having some accessories mounted, I'm considering replacing the handguards with a C-More Quad-Rail free-floating handguard.  Bushmaster has this listed in their catalog for $249.  Does anybody have any experience or knowledge about these?  I like the fact that it claims to reduce barrel temp by 80%.  I also like the fact that the 4 rails are M-1913 mil spec.  Will I be sacrificing any ruggedness or durability by doing this switch?  Will routine maintenance become more complicated?  Bushmaster catalog says these weigh 25.4 oz.  Anybody know how that weight compares to my standard A2 removable handguards?  Will I need to be concerned about cuts caused by the sharp rails? (I do not see rail covers for it listed in the catalog).  Do they heat up unbearably during rapid semi-auto firing?  The little bit of research into ff handguards with rails indicate most can be used only on flatop upper receivers, which of course I do not have.  Thanks for your time.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:01:08 AM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:42:10 AM EDT
[#2]
i have no experience with these so i ain't sayin' much, however, i have read 'round these parts:

-the rails are not exact m1913 spec, people have had trouble getting stuff onto them

-the thing is pretty heavy

popular opinion seems to be a big NO.

but you don't need a flat top. only SIR/RAS2 need that.

olympic FIRSH would be cheaper (~110 plus install), rails may be closer to spec or on spec, dunno.

you can get a KAC FF RAS for ~380. i would be tempted by that.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:04:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, 2Minkey.  Does anybody else have any input?  
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:13:38 AM EDT
[#4]
The latest C-More rails "should be" in spec. I've got an earlier version on my AR that is not and yes, I have had trouble getting some things to fit on the rails, specifically the KAC vertical foregrip and an adapter for the HK UTL. I managed to get the KAC grip on by filing it down a bit though it still doesn't fit quite right and it never will because the rails are out of spec. I've got a Surefire M-900A that goes on with no problem.

As far as rail covers, I'm using the Ergo panels, both low and regular profile.

It seems rugged enough so far but I can't say I've beaten on it that much either.

I bought them thinking the rails were in-spec so I was bit p.o.'d when I found out the rails were out of spec.When I contacted them about this they said would not replace mine. The first customer service person I spoke with told me that they released them this way - The sub-contractor who manufactured them messed up. The customer service rep said they tried a whole bunch of different accessories and said they only found a accessories that had problems going on, the KAC grip which also happens to be the one thing that almost everyone puts on an RAS. Consider this - they can't predict what accessories will be released in the future so other things will probably not work on their rail either.

Bottom line - I will NEVER buy another C-More product ever again and I'm planning on eventually replacing my C-More Quadrail with a KAC FF RAS. If C-More had been willing to replace my RAS, I would have been satisfied but they wouldn't so I say f' them.

One more thing - ARMS does make a SIR that will go onto an A2 but I don't recall the model # off of the top of my head.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#5]
John Delorien once wrote a book called "On a Clear Day You Can See General Motors" about how product decisions were actualy made at GM.

I'm Waiting for somebody here to write "On a clear Day You Can See Bushmaster."
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
John Delorien once wrote a book called "On a Clear Day You Can See General Motors" about how product decisions were actualy made at GM.

I'm Waiting for somebody here to write "On a clear Day You Can See Bushmaster."
View Quote

Yep - read John's (DeLoren sp?) book a good while ago.

The Bushmaster book will have to be mil-spec !!

[:D]
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, Matt_B for telling me about your experience.  I can definitely understand why you refuse to purchase another C-More product after that last fiasco!  Anybody else know anything about this item?  
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Anybody else have any experience with this particular product?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top