Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/5/2002 6:23:12 AM EDT
Lately I've been looking at the tritium night sights and I wanted to solicit some opinions from you guys.  I have this type of sight on several of my handguns and was wondering if they would work as well on my AR.  FYI - I have a Bushy M4 A3 w/removable carry handle.

Is there one brand or style that is better than the rest?

How difficult are they to install?

Are they military-spec other than the tritium inserts or am I going to have to use a different method for sighting-in?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 6:36:27 AM EDT
[#1]
There's really a lot of options. It all depends on what it is you are looking to do. I really like the Ashley Outdoor Big Dot tritium sights. Its a big fat white dot that really shows up fast and easy for CQB type shooting. Plus the big white dot shows up WAAAAY easier in that time between light and dark when it is too dark to see the front sight well, but not dark enough for the tritium to start glowing. The downside to this system is that it is big and well make accuracy a little harger out at extended ranges.

Another option is the Trijicons. Most people, myself included, dont feel the rear tritium sights are necessary. Just go with the front. The rear sights are too close to your eye to really do anything at all in my opinion, and are a waste of money... YMMV.

These front sights are VERY easy to install. However, the front sight adjustment tool you can buy most places sometimes dont work with these tritium sights because of the way they are designed.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 6:51:02 AM EDT
[#2]
IMHO there are two to get:
1) the Trijicon version (better for rifles)
2) the Mepro version (I like it for carbines)

I have the Mepro front sight on my M4gery.  I like the Mepro on the carbine because its A1 style - meaning 5 detents per rotation - so it gives you a finer adjustment than the Trijicon.  The lamp is a post style (instead of a dot) I also like that - it helped with lining up the sight on the 300m targets (even in daylight).  The only issue with this sight is its a round post - meaning under certain lighting conditions glint will alter the perceived width of the front sight thus screwing up your aim.  For 200M and under there is not real problem - the 300M targets I was working to keep the sights properly aligned with the glint (this is when I learned the post lamp can help).

The Trijicion is the A2 style meaning is square faced (no glint issues) but it uses a round dot instead of the post. Its a bit wider than the standard A2 post (the Mepro is barely - hundreths of an inch wider than an A2 front sight).

The nice thing about BOTH of these sights (and why I prefer them over the others) is once you adjust them for zero - you can turn the lamp to face you (the a supplied taller front sight detent pin holds it in place).  Most of the other sights you only have a 25% of zeroing properly - otherwise you have to change the sight setting to use it.  With the Trijicon and Mepro you always have the lamp facing you and the sight is always properly zeroed.

I'll second the motion on no need for the rear sight.  However Tweak was telling the AR15-L that he uses the rear sight and subdues the light from it a bit by using a Sharpie marker (neat idea).  So its just a dull glow and it aids in sight alignment.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 6:58:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I will second new-arguy's comments about the AO Big Dots - they are the cats ass for CQB irons.  I have as the irons on my guns.

I have had the Trijicon and Meprolight sights but for what I want I find the AO a better option.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 6:59:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Lately I've been looking at the tritium night sights and I wanted to solicit some opinions from you guys.  I have this type of sight on several of my handguns and was wondering if they would work as well on my AR.  FYI - I have a Bushy M4 A3 w/removable carry handle.

Are they military-spec other than the tritium inserts or am I going to have to use a different method for sighting-in?

I had Scattergun Technologies install a rear peep sight and tritium front sight on my Remington 870 18 inch barrel. Just my preference, but I vastly prefer either a white or fluorescent front post sight over the tritium. I was able to pick up a deer in very low light dusk conditions with the ST rear peep and an Ashley .080 inch wide white post sight on the 870 20 inch deer barrel so I know it works. After hunting season, I am planning on installing either a .080 or .100 wide Ashley white post on the AR. Just my opinion, but I believe the white post sight is more versatile than the tritium and a good enough compromise for both normal light and low light conditions.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If you decide to go with the Express Sight Systems (formerly Ashley) tritium sight, go to their website FAQ's section. I believe they recommend a 40 yard zero for their tritium sights.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#6]
A good drill to test your irons - do a walk through of a building/house under varying lighting - going from low to bright light rapidly - you will notice the big dot AO's are always very visible unlike some other types of sights.
The tritium dot with its white suurounds is always visible no matter what your tgt - due to the contrast either you will see the white or the tritium - especially on very light backgrounds the tritium center will come up dark.

Link Posted: 11/6/2002 4:42:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Alright - well I think you guys have sold me on the Ashley big dot front sight, but how much will this affect precise aim as opposed to the stock front sight post?

Also, what do you guys think about the AO same plane rear sight to go along with the front sight?  I assume this alleviates the problem of two different points of impact when switching from the large to small aperture on A2 sights.

Thanks again for the excellent feedback.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 5:36:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Alright - well I think you guys have sold me on the Ashley big dot front sight, but how much will this affect precise aim as opposed to the stock front sight post?

Also, what do you guys think about the AO same plane rear sight to go along with the front sight?  I assume this alleviates the problem of two different points of impact when switching from the large to small aperture on A2 sights.

Thanks again for the excellent feedback.

Go to the Ashley website FAQ's section. They have a very good discussion on the same plane sight. They were right on the money about a significant shift in zero between the large and small MIL-SPEC apertures. My 16" barrel Colt was printing about five inches low at fifty yards when switching from the small aperture (zeroed at 50 yards) to the large aperture, exactly within the range of what the Ashley website predicted (amount of shift is dependent on barrel length and type of front post). I haven't installed the Ashley same plane sight yet, but plan to do so immediately after hunting season.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 7:33:42 AM EDT
[#9]
The Ashley is better for CQB, but I wanted an all-around sight - something that still worked well enought @ 200M and beyond.

Definately get the same plane rear aperture.  I had one on my carbine before I had the Tritium front sight.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 7:49:22 AM EDT
[#10]
i think that the rear tritium is important. in pure darkness you can be just outside your rearsight and not know it. your eye wont be able to focus on the rear, the front and the target all at once but the out focus rear will let you know your aligned. i use to think that the front was enough, but i glad now that i purchased both.
and also the number of notches in the front sight of a tritium makes no difference because it has to be spun 360 deg's everytime
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I have both the AShley Express night sight and the Meprolight night sight. I greatly prefer the AX sight.

I'l be order a couple more AX front night sights and same plane apertures soon.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 10:01:16 AM EDT
[#12]
7point62,

You are incorrect, the front sight of many tritium front sights have seperate elevation adjustmenst and the tritium element is then turned to face the shooter independantly.  You get the ability to turn the sight 1/4 turns you dont have to use full turns.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the AO front sight and same plane aperature (mounted in an ARMS#40 sight) and like em a lot.  I think the big dot does give up something for longer range precision say 100yards but i would normally used my aimpoint and switch to the irons if it malfunctioned.  In any case i don't anticipate the need for long range shootin' with my irons in any scenario i'm likely to encounter.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top