Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/18/2004 4:17:51 PM EST
What is your overall opinion on the M17s?
What in your opinions are it's downfalls?
What could be done to make it better, besides the obvious top rail problem and lack of iron sights?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:25:32 PM EST
First the draw back of any bull pup is slower mag change.The rail and iron site problem can be rectified by KKF Kurts Kustom Fire Arms,he builds and modifies the M17 nicely and to me those are the only 2 draw backs.On trhe plus side you get a 22" barrel in a compact size.Gas piston operated my overall opinion is its reliable and has a decent trigger but it does need work to get it more usable than how it comes stock and its an inexpensive rifle.My buddy got his for $650+tax
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:34:45 PM EST
Owned one and sold it. Very not worth it. In retrospect I should have a AR. POS.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:49:05 PM EST
i looked into them when i was trying to figure out my primary defense weapon... After you buy one and then have Kurt make it useable you have the cost of a regular AR...

AR's benfits completely outway the m17 design... and besides you can shoot an AR left handed
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:03:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By chewbacca:
Owned one and sold it. Very not worth it. In retrospect I should have a AR. POS.

I call bullshit. I've seen the movies. You've never had a M17, you don't use anything but a bow caster.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:05:37 PM EST
+1
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:09:13 PM EST
What my buddy did to his was have Kurt do the rail and add the new handle and slots on the upper part and he added a harris bipod and optics and he now has a nice little sniper rifle in a compact package so for its intended purpose there is no reason to shoot lefty.Hes gonna get some trigger work done to get a more crisp let off but like I said it shoots good and its a fun rifle.Hell its probably better than the brit bull-pup.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:00:25 PM EST
I have e-mailed Kurt on the very subject, so I know I'll be sending him my M17 if I ever get one...
I plan to shorten the handguards (The part that covers the barrel, whatever it's called. I know it has a special name), add a small underrail for a vertical foregrip and, of course, ditch the funky top rail in favor of a normal one.

I am still contemplating whether to shorten the barrel to whatever the shortest length is (17" or so, IIRC) or keep it at it's normal length.I really do like the look of some of the modified ones I have seen.
Keep the opinions coming!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:37:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By tommytrauma:

Originally Posted By chewbacca:

I call bullshit. I've seen the movies. You've never had a M17, you don't use anything but a bow caster.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:39:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/18/2004 6:48:27 PM EST by chewbacca]

Originally Posted By N3rday:
I have e-mailed Kurt on the very subject, so I know I'll be sending him my M17 if I ever get one...
I plan to shorten the handguards (The part that covers the barrel, whatever it's called. I know it has a special name), add a small underrail for a vertical foregrip and, of course, ditch the funky top rail in favor of a normal one.

I am still contemplating whether to shorten the barrel to whatever the shortest length is (17" or so, IIRC) or keep it at it's normal length.I really do like the look of some of the modified ones I have seen.
Keep the opinions coming!

If you do get one (although I suggest not to) becareful how short you cut the barrel, because the overall length of the rifle can be no shorter than 26".

N3rd, haven't you and I already discussed this? I think so...
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:06:16 PM EST

Hell its probably better than the brit bull-pup.

Probably so, I am lefthanded and really like mine. I would be madly in love with it if it were a lefthanded rifle.

pros:
compact long barrel in a short package
something like 30 inches total length
inexpensive
uses ar mags
made by bushmaster so it has to be good

cons:
heavy in comparison to an ar
needs rails top bottom and sides for accessories
needs a vert grip so you don't burn your hands after a long string of shots
needs real iron sights, like any other weapon add your own secondary optic
onehandedness unless you get creative
may get a little bit of the gas leaking from the charging handle area
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:04:05 PM EST
If I had extra cash to spend and if I was a right-handed shooter I would buy one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:16:08 AM EST
They are kind of a fun, but will not replace the AR anytime soon. It's too bad that BM did not put a bit more work into the final product. The design is solid, but it needs some tweaking to make it what it should be.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:25:08 PM EST
Yes, Chewbacca, I believe I brought it up some time ago. For some reason, my interest is rekindled. I just love the look (if only it was black) and the size simply appeals to me. I wonder what could be done to add some irons...I recall seeing a picture of a sight on the end of the barrel of an M17, I think.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:42:50 AM EST
I've shot mine left handed with no problems, the cases seem to shoot forward? I can't figure out what people are talking about? Maybe the earlier model did that but the one I have you can shot left handed with NO PROBLEMS! Seems to hit the ejection port slightly which causes the Cases to go forward away from your body, lol

Maybe I lucked out? If so...... :-))))

P.S. As for quick mag changes not so, You have the lefty mag release which I use for my Left hand to drop and pull the mag at the same time loading, just as quick maybe quicker than AR. Plus the balance and size and Heavy rounds long barrel all make a difference. Iron sights Yep problem. But then again it depends on what your using it for.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:06:18 AM EST
By the way for your lefties STAG arms is making the STAG15-L, a completely lefthanded rifle now, not just an upper. ALL the controls are either ambi or L-handed, ejects to the left.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:32:41 AM EST
M17s - ugly
AR15 - beautiful
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:45:32 AM EST
they get hot when you hammer them. Even with extra cooling slots milled in the sides. I put a piece of Pachmayr pach skin on mine where my cheek rests and this helps alot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:57:21 AM EST
Dsa is supposed to be coming out with the AUG soon which might interest uf if your into bullpups.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:58:39 AM EST
I wouldn't hit it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:04:34 AM EST
The coolest mod I have seen was on this board. The owner used an SL8 top rail, this had BUIS and a rail.

It was very cool.

96Ag
Top Top