Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/10/2003 6:53:53 PM EDT
I'm in the process of putting one on one of my uppers. Standard length.

Any pros and cons of these handguards? I just thought they looked neat, and would be advantageous shooting from a rest.

:)
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:54:16 AM EDT
I use one on my match rifle (NRA Highpower) primarily because I like a flat-bottomed forend. The corners are round and it isn't very wide, so it doesn't work particularly well from a benchrest. I do a lot of load development from the bench, and have to level the rifle after each shot. However, I wouldn't use anything else since it feels great in position. The only problem I had was with the button-head screws that hold it to the barrel nut. I LocTite everything so nothing comes loose ata a bad time, but the button-head hex stripped out when I removed the screws. I now use standard Allen-head screws with no problems; they make for a "Franken-gun" look, but a spacegun already looks pretty far out there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:52:34 AM EDT
Not to hijak, but is the top rail screwed on or part of the handguard(machined from the tube)?
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:32:33 PM EDT
UPDATE: wes1, yes the rail is machined as part of the unit. Nice and solid. I finally got it on my 24" upper. Took it to the range, and noticed that it does fit well within the bag of a Sinclair benchrest. The roughness of the aluminum doesn't take well to sliding smoothly as a BR rifle should, but this can easily be solved with some smooth-sided tape. It is much better off of the rest than the old round tube, as there is no need to pinch the tube in place within the front rest ears. I did use locktite on the three retaining screws, and it seems it will work well. I like it so much I may get another for an upcoming upper project.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:14:30 PM EDT
I took my Dpms upper to Marty at Badger a few months ago and hade him install mine for me. I have a 20" stainless upper and it fits great. It also makes a great mounting platform for my Harris bipod. It is a very stable and rigid handguard. When you grasp the barrel and attempt to squeeze the barrel and handguard together there is absolutely no movement. I am 100% happy with mine , in fact when I build my CAR upper I will use the shorter handguard for it.
Top Top