Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 9:50:10 AM EDT
I am building a 10.5' SBR, and I am looking for advice on whether to partake the adventure with a piston driven upper such as the LW, or a conventional DI upper such as the CMMG or bushmaster.  I am also mounting a suppressor which will be used with the system most of the time, if that makes any significant difference... I have heard that running anything less than a 11.5" DI system with a suppressor can possibly cause problems, and if a piston system would be better for this purpose.

Also, if you could explain technically why or why not to go with either choice, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#1]
The advantages of a piston SBR is higher velocity and less gas in your face when suppressed. The downside is obviously cost and proprietary parts.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:17:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Leitner-Wise piston upper, whatever the cost.  5.56 or 6.8mm.  You will regret any other decision.  The only downside is it might take a while to get it.  Contact Darren Mellors at Grenadier Precision.

David
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Check out the Full Auto forum - most SBR discussions are in there.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks, I will transfer it over there.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Leitner-Wise piston upper, whatever the cost.  5.56 or 6.8mm.  You will regret any other decision.  The only downside is it might take a while to get it.  Contact Darren Mellors at Grenadier Precision.

David

Odd I don't regret not having an LW piston upper on my SBR. nope not one bit o regret.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

David

Odd I don't regret not having an LW piston upper on my SBR. nope not one bit o regret.

+1

It's amazing how many people have been using short-barrelled AR's before the latest piston designs, and didn't realize that something was missing.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top