Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 7:37:25 AM EDT
Hi all,

I'm new to this part of the forum, so I apologize if this has been discussed before...

I was wondering if you all could share your opinions on the M4 CQBR rear sight as a BUIS (image from www.specwargear.com):

I like the idea of a sight that matches the normal A2 rear sight, as that's the sight I'm most familiar with.

Can someone also tell me who manufactures this sight and where I could mail order one?

Thanks for your help and advice!

Dave
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:40:43 AM EDT
[#1]
It is LMT fixed BUIS.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It is LMT fixed BUIS.

Thanks a lot - couldn't quite read the logo.

I'd still like to hear what you all think of these sights.  Thanks!

Dave
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#3]
love mine, i have 2 of them. allows me to remove the sight when using night vision scopes or day optics (acog). the thumb knob aways stays tight yet comes off without tools. and its ligher than a carry handle.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I ike mine. It is a 6/3 A2 rear sight.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I love mine! I got it when they first came out, and the price was $165 (it dropped to around $120 fairly quickly, though), and I still think it was money well spent. Try looking around the equpiment exchange, and you can find both new and used ones for decent prices. Research the seller in the feedback threads, though!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice fixed BUIS, but on the large side as it is basically a cut down A2 carry handle.

I have one, but am condering the Larue for my next project.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Nice fixed BUIS, but on the large side as it is basically a cut down A2 carry handle.

I have one, but am condemning the Larue for my next project.

What?!  No Gucci gear?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#9]
The LMT's the more engineered continuation of the cut down carry handle. If you're willing to pass up the little differences (wider channel on the LMT), you can make your own "CCH" for around $70, which seems to be the going price for carry handles on the EE. More if you need the cutting tools and aluminum blackening agent.

Here's mine.. I bought it off the EE pretty inexpensively (precut and finished):

EDIT: Here's a writeup on how to do it: groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/chopacarryhandle.msnw
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:45:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I love my LMT...but I use it on an "Aimpoint dedicated" M4. Were I to win the lottery and get something like an ACOG I would, I think, prefer something a bit smaller / lower profile like the ARMS 40 series. I have zero experience with the LaRue.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:34:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a LMT rear sight with a EoTech 552. I like the set up a lot. I use the eotech for everything 250 yards and closer. From 300 yards to 600 yards I use the LMT. I like the idea of not limiting my rifle due to the equipement installed.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:55:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have a LMT on a rifle with an Aimpoint.  I like the sight, but agree with Grant regarding the LaRue BUIS.  I have a LaRue on another rifle, which also has an Aimpoint.  Comparing the two sights on nearly identical rifles, I offer the following:

-LaRue is lighter than the LMT
-LaRue is smaller than the LMT
-LaRue has an adjustable (yes, adjustable) throw lever.  LMT uses a know.  I much prefer the throw lever and believe it to be more secure (i.e. less chance of shooting loose) than the knob/screw.
-LaRue has a wideraperture channel, making it easier to see more FOV when focusing on the Aimpoint dot.
- LMT has elevation adjustment.  I actually view this as a negative.  Once my irons are zeroed, I NEVER adjust the elevation.  Plus, I adjust the front sight pin to zero the elevation, not the rear sight.  Therefore, the elevation adjustment on the rear sight is not something I need.  The elevation dial is just something that could accidentally be changed and it adds to the sight's weight and size.  YMMV.
-LaRue is CHEAPER.

What works for me may not be the best thing for you.  I do like the LMT and have no plans to get rid of it.  However, I'd never buy another one.

Hope this helps.

LMT knob gets in the way when doing speed clear.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone have a picture of the LaRue on a rifle?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have one, but am condemning the Larue for my next project.

What?!  No Gucci gear?

I misspelled "considering", not "condemning"  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I meant to add that but forgot.  And that's one of the BIGGEST problems I have with the LMT!  When slapping the charging handle with your palm or pinching it with your left hand, the knob often gets in the way.  The LaRue throw lever is on the RIGHT side of the sight, so this is not a problem with the LaRue.

Hang on, wouldn't this be a problem with the M4 carrying handle mounted also?  I was under the impression that the knob is in the same location as on the removable carrying handle.

I don't have much experience with carbines, which is part of the reason I want to buy one before I get deploying next year and (hopefully) carry one.  I'm looking at accessories to take with me, since I'll probably be lucky if I can even swing an M68 sight.  Basically it might come down to having on the carrying handle or this BUIS, in which case I'll use just the BUIS to reduce the weight.  Just so you have some background info...

I went ahead and ordered the LMT from Grant (despite his recommendation for the LaRue ).  ONe concern in my case is familiarity - the LMT works just like the GI sights I'm used to.  I guess if I don't like it, I'll order the LaRue!

Dave
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Anyone have a picture of the LaRue on a rifle?

Send M4arc an IM, he has numerous pictures of his LaRue BUIS/Eotech mount setup.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top