Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2003 3:17:10 PM EDT
Please give me your opinions on the Fobus M33 and M44 handgaurds.  The M33 has the 1913rail on the top and bottom and the M44 has four rails.  Any Pictures, comments, how do like them?  How do the covers hold up? Can they be trimmed to cover the sections not being used?  I appreciate any help I can get with these.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I use to own a set of M44. Very good product, I was very happy with it for the price.
Also, don't waste your money on the M33. The only rail usable on that one is the bottom rail, since the top rail isn't sturdy enough to accomedate optics. The M33 is basically a very expensive bottom rail.
The M44 on the other hand allows you to mount flashlights at 3' and 9' o'clock. I also feel that the way M44s are installed is a better (not best) solution for mouting optics. Also the rubber panels make it extremely comfortable to hold. Personally, they were the most comfortable foregrip I've ever held. Yes, you can trim the panels using ordinary scissors.
You can find M44s for about $100 easily on the EE or on ebay.
I sold my M44s to upgrade to SIR.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my M44 handguards. The top rail on my M44 is actually lower than the top rail of my upppers' rail so mounting an optic there isn't really an option for me. They're more than durable enough for mounting lights and/or a forward grip on the lower rail. My only complaint on them was the rail covers. They are soft rubber which makes them comfy, but mine were also pretty loose fitting as well. I ended up replacing them with the Magpul/Bushmaster 5 slot rail covers and I'm much happier now. J

[img]http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6kf2w/Fobus44.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
comfy
View Quote

[SHOCK]
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Like satin sheets, or a Pink Featherd Boa!

Simply Comfy!

[img]http://shadesofbrownwigs.safeshopper.com/images/bg0ut4f6.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Markm -- LOL!

I have the lower rail of the M33 on my 16" BM carbine.  I use the rail for my vert fore grip and it works great.  The upper is the standard BM handguard.  

Cost me $30 - and it was $30 well spent.

I agree, however, that if you're looking to mount optics, you should go with something else.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#6]
How's the air flow in that M44 handguard?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#7]
They are awful. One person mentioned them having 1913 rails... they are not 1913 rails. 1913 rails are not plastic. Plastic rails are horrible. Anything that clamps them will squeeze them and with time, and use, the plastic will deform. Especially on something like a forward grip that has a lot of pressure applied to it.

They cost nearly as much as an Olympic Arms FIRSH system, and while the FIRSH is hardly my favorite rail system, I would have one of them before any of the Fobus handgaurds. The Fobus sytems are over priced, under durable and worth staying away from IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#8]
i have the M33 and like it alot, very tight fit
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i have the M33 and like it alot, very tight fit
View Quote

Ditto.  And comfy.  I replaced a set of regular carbine handguards and I greatly prefer the M33's.  

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top