Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2002 4:40:51 PM EDT
Hey everyone, Great Forum.  I'm new here and hope to be able to learn and contribute to this great board.  How to my question:

I have been wanting to pick up a bushmaster for a while, and decided to get a price at a local store before the banning begins here in New Jermany.

I really like the profile of the M4, but wanted the extra 1.5 inch of rifling in the Shorty. I also preferred to have a barrel without the mini Y comp which i hear makes the rifle extremely loud.

I inquired on getting a Bushmaster Shorty Carbine with a M4 type folding style butt stock, and got a price of $880+tax+Nics. Is this a good price? What do you think of this configuration?
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been pricing shorties and have gotten $799 as the lowest.  But mine will be the A2 butstock and the A3 removable carry handle.  Sounds like you got a good deal.  The Bushmaster catalog says the fixed tele-stock is a $25 add-on.

Jeff D.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#4]
come on guys, this isn't a safe thread!
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#5]
"come on guys, this isn't a safe thread! "

Please No-Tact, get a fuckin life.  I ask a simple question and suddenly i'm a troll.  

Mr. Paranoia, what was it exactly that tipped you off?  Was it my secret Fed innuendo?  Man, you must be clairvoyent, cause you got me pegged.

And what exactly in my post is "not safe"?  My question didn't start off with, "How do I mow down a school with my illegal M4 while doing a drive by bayonetting?"

Next time i have an inquiry, i guess i'll have to ask the permission of the board watchdog.

Link Posted: 10/29/2002 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#6]
christ some of you guys are paranoid.

PP

i have that exact rifle and really like it. The brake on an ar carbine is a waste in my opinion. My 16 shoots as well out to 200 yrds as my HB 20" armalite. Buy it and enjoy.

mike
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Mike,Do you also have the M4 style fixed stock on your 16"?  The reason i'm curious is b/c i know the barrel of the Shorty is a bit heavier than that of the M4, and i was concerned with the balance of the rifle.  How does your rifle balance.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#8]
My stepdad has one of these nice rifles.. It's great, although there will obviously be a bad name on the rifle due to the recent killings.

I would tell you to not let that keep you away from a great rifle like the XM15 though.

Why couldn't that damn asshole have used a hesse? LOL! Probably wouldn't have hit anything then I guess...
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#9]
mine is an a2 with full stock. I tried a fixed collapsable and hated it. I prefer the A2 stock and the storage is a plus. Unless the stock is collapsable why have it. The rifle balenced the same with either stock.

I actually shoot my bushy more than my 20". accuracy is close and the weight difference is enormous.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 9:05:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is mine.

Link Posted: 10/29/2002 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you guys think it would be worth the extra $75-100 for the A3 flat-top type upper receiver?  
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#12]
The flattop would definitely be worth it.  You can always keep a detachable carry handle if you're not using the flat top, but it is always available in the event you want optics place on top.  It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 3:16:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Why dont you get a 16" M4 profile postban upper and a seperate lower so you can have what you want?

You dont get a $3 instruction manual, $5 sling or $9 cheapo guncase but you get the rifle you want.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 3:58:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey GI Brat -- How do you kie that AK brake? Thinkin about putting one on my SPR. $100 for a brake? Ops can keep there brake.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 4:52:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
GI_Brat-Is there something up in the pistol grip on your rifle-what the heck is it or am I even more nearsighted than I thought.

It's not your eye-sight
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#17]
i own the same shorty AK that is pictured above. i love the AK brake. between that and the buffer spring, there is virtually no felt recoil and the gun only jumps a bit. however it is loud as fuck to sit next to when someone else is firing it.

i plan on buying a full length h bar upper for it to get the  longer range, but thats after i buy my M1A and recover from that purchase.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#18]
How are the RRA and DPMS carbines compared to the Bushy, Ive seen them for like $625, and the Cav-15 is $650 any of these worth looking at?
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
How are the RRA and DPMS carbines compared to the Bushy, Ive seen them for like $625, and the Cav-15 is $650 any of these worth looking at?

RRA and DPMS are both of extremeely high quality, equal to Bushmaster.  From what I hear of Cavarms, they also make a good product and provides excellent service.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#20]
thanx, so basically save the 2 bills and get a RRA or DPMS carbine with the M4 or A2 stock
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 5:30:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, you save two bills but you lose a couple things as well. If you get a DPMS you will not get a chrome lined barrel or chamber. You will also get a barrel made with 4140 steel, not the milspec 4150 steel.

If you go Rock River, you have to pay extra to get the 5.56 chamber barrel with chrome lining. You still may save a little over the Bushmaster, but you still wont be getting the milspec 4150 steel. Rock River, like almost every other manufacturer, uses 4140 steel for barrels.

The only companies to make their barrels with milspec 4150 steel is Bushmaster and Colt. Only you can decide if this is important enough for you to spend the extra money, but I think it is well worth it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 5:45:30 AM EDT
[#22]
PP:

You asked about balance, and I think this is what sold me on this rifle.  It literally balances at the mag well.  I bought mine as an A2, then swapped-out the upper for an A3:

I'm not a fan of muzzle brakes, especially when added to a barrel less than 16 inches.  They're unnecessary, increase noise, and add length to the barrel that doesn't contribute to velocity.

JMHO, YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm not a fan of fixed telestocks, either.  They're lighter, but prevent a comfortable cheek weld.  I think they also look pretentious, sorta like Delta wannabe.  Again, JMHO.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Petey, I love my ShortyAK, A2 top and stock. I agree with Carbine_Man about the fixed telestocks, hard to get a consistent cheek weld in my opinion.    

However, I do like the AK brake on the Shorty, I think it works well and to me the noise is meaningless.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Looking at your opinions, i surmise i made the right decision in going ahead and ordering the rifle.hether
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Petey, lol I wonder that too. I like my A2 top, very little to go wrong with it, but you have to always remember that the sights are about 2.5 inches higher than the barrel. When I strap on an optic, it's 3.5 inches higher than the barrel. At close ranges, you have to adjust your aimpoint accordingly but that adjustment diminishes rapidly.

With A3, the optic, depending on your mounts, can sit fairly low in relation to the barrel and not require that mental computation. But it really does become second nature.

I'm glad I got the A2 top, I'm an iron sights guy anyway in that I believe that you have to know how to use the weapon. Optics are a bonus when you can still relate the sights and the target, but as we age, they become more of a necessity. lol    
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, that bushy is a fine looking rifle, I'm thinking of one too!  

I think the fake collapsing stock is nice, you can have the full length buffer tube with the collapsing look.
I have a preban collapsing colt, there is noticeably more recoil with the shortened buffer tube.    
Personally, I think the regular stock looks goofy on a carbine.  The regular stock looks nice on a 20" barreled AR.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 3:18:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Petey, lol I wonder that too. I like my A2 top, very little to go wrong with it, but you have to always remember that the sights are about 2.5 inches higher than the barrel. When I strap on an optic, it's 3.5 inches higher than the barrel. At close ranges, you have to adjust your aimpoint accordingly but that adjustment diminishes rapidly.

With A3, the optic, depending on your mounts, can sit fairly low in relation to the barrel and not require that mental computation. But it really does become second nature.

I'm glad I got the A2 top, I'm an iron sights guy anyway in that I believe that you have to know how to use the weapon. Optics are a bonus when you can still relate the sights and the target, but as we age, they become more of a necessity. lol    

Good point have
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I have to weigh in on the comp issue. I have a Bushmaster shorty with the mini y-comp, and I can definitely tell a difference in recoil and muzzle jump. Seems to make it much more controllable for action shooting. Others complain about the noise, but I don't notice it while I'm shooting. I'm thinking about putting the AK brake on my 20".
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top