Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/16/2004 4:57:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2004 4:58:38 PM EST by Drav]
www.blackhawkindustries.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=2030&d=

Has anyone used this backpack? I was looking at picking one up but wanted to hear some opinions first.

You love it? hate it?

Is it too big? too small?

Does it flop around too much? or is it too tight?

etc.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:01:37 PM EST
IMO Blackhawk products are a little overpriced and don't seem to have the quality of other companys like Tactical Tailor. Plus Blackhawk has their products made in communist vietnam
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:11:42 PM EST
I have an older 3 day pack(9-10 years old) made in the USA , which is very well made. For the money/value/ Quality look at Eagle industries or Kifaru.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:40:13 PM EST
I think someone on the Equipment Exchange had a sale going on. 3 day assault pack for 75-80, the Phoenix pack for around a hundred.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:54:57 PM EST

I've got to lean toward any of the "Made in the USA" packs that are comparable to the Blackhawk pack that you are considering. You can get the Eagle A-III (best value for the quality, IMHO) for about $95, or the Tactical Tailor for about the same price. If you want to spend a little more, you can choose from S.O.Tech, SOE, and London Bridge, all have similar pack designs, and all are made in the USA. HTH!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:09:57 AM EST
Ok, well I'll ask it differently. :)

Which backpack do you guys like best?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:28:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 11:49:26 AM EST by MudBug]
Some here will this this is blashpemous, but I've been looking at packs for about a week now, and I've reached this conclusion. If you want a pack for backpacking, there are better choices in the civilian market. the only thing all of these packs (Eagle include) have going for them is the 1000d material used in their making, and being able to mount MOLLE pouches. As far as fit, ergonomics, comfort, weight, suspension system go, you can get a much better pack for the price or cheaper, made by Mountainsmith, Jansport, Kelty, Gregory, Dana systems.

*Edited*
because I was in a hurry and left horrible grammer and missed a point.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:25:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By Drav:
Which backpack do you guys like best?

I've got an Eagle/Lightfighter R.A.I.D. and absolutely love it! MudBud is right on about the comparison to "civilian" packs, you can get lighter weight and better fit for possibly less money. With the "military" packs, you are paying for heavy duty material and hardware, plus they may have some specific feature that are useless on a civilian pack. For example, my R.A.I.D. pack is covered with PALS webbing to attach MOLLE compatible pouches, and it has routing ports for antennas and mic cables. HTH!

-Randy
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:35:20 AM EST
I have Blackhawk's X-1 Raptor and that has held up really good for me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:53:45 AM EST

Originally Posted By MudBug:
Some here will this this is blashpemous, but I've been looking at packs for about a week now, and I've reached this conclusion. If you want a pack for backpacking, there are better choices in the civilian market. the only thing all of these packs (Eagle include) have going for them is the 1000d material and used in their making. as far as fit, ergonomics, comfort, weight, suspension system go, you can get a much better pack for the price or cheaper made by Mountainsmith, Jansport, Kelty, Gregory, Dana systems.

I agree. Your money may be better spent at a reputable camping store. I think you can special

order Dana (Design) Systems w/ 1000d, although I don't see the point. I highly

recommend an internal frame pack for loads >20 lbs. My Dana backpack is 15+ years old,

has been around the world, and functions as new. I would shop for fit over brand, but stay

away from Kelty; I've heard bad things.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:52:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By Flushdraw:

<Snip>

but stay

away from Kelty; I've heard bad things.

My brother told me the same thing, but as I said, for a week I've been researching to buy a new pack, I've seen nothing but good reviews. Looking at their construction they seem very well built and designed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:04:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 12:07:30 PM EST by innocent_bystander]
Skip the made in Communist Vietnam Blackhawk crap and spend a few dollars more for Eagle. You'll thank me later.

My wife and I both use Eagle A-III packs with the plastic internal insert.
Top Top