Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/31/2002 7:57:17 PM EDT
I'm considering buying an ATN 5X33L and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this particular scope?  I have a Bushmaster A3 shorty, and I am also considering swapping the standard front sites for a flip-up version.  I want to be able to easily switch between iron sites and a scope (at least until I can afford another rifle :-) ).  Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#1]
An ATN 5X33L is mounted on my Bushy Shorty AK.  Put there cause it was in the parts bin when we finished-out the rifle.  THERE ARE BETTER SCOPES OUT THERE but this particular ATN works fine for me.  The factory mount is a POS but it WILL tighten down and stay in place.  The optics are mediocre but not bad.  It holds zero and the bullet drop compensator is fun to use if not particularly accurate.  The illuminated reticle is DAMN SURE RED, must have something to do with it coming from a ex-COMBLOC country.  One reason I like the scope is it sits as low as possible on the rifle with M4 handguards in place, and I mean ONE YOUNG RCH over the plastic.  The ATN has about a MILE of adjustment in it as Lordtrader will testify.  YOU DO NOT NEED A FLIP-DOWN FRONT SIGHT.  The focal length of the 5X33L won't begin to resolve the front sight on my M4.  You look right through the front sight like it isn't there.  It ain't pretty, it is heavy, everybody badmouths them but the 5X33L works for me.

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I have pretty much the same experience as Arock.  

Get different rings.  The ones that came with mine stripped out on the first installation.

The optics are okay and the reticle is bright when illuminated.  However, since the reticle is also etched you do not need the illumination in most circumstances.

The body of the scope is built like a freaking tank, but the finish is not quite as tough.  Keep GunScrubber away from it as it will melt the finish.

In my opinion it is a decent value in a scope.  You can definitely get a better optic but not for the same money as the ATN.

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Any other suggestions for optics that do not go into the $700-800 price range or should I save my pennies and buy a Leupold Mark 4?  It doesn't sound like either of you are overly enthusiastic about the ATN 5X33L.  Thanks for the feedback!
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Take a look at IOR Valdada. Cactus Tactical Supply has the best prices I have Found, SWFA dose not have them yet. I have nothing good to say about ATN I've owned 2 I sold one while on a gun (before it broke) the other sitting on a shelf because there is something retelling around in it. If you willing to spend $600.00-700.00 You have a lot of great scopes to chose from.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the extra charge for the mil-dot reticle worth it?  I was looking at

Leupold Tactical VX-II 3-9x40 Duplex Reticle, Matte Finish, Target Knobs  $314
Leupold Tactical VX-II 3-9x40 Mil-Dot Reticle, Matte Finish, Target Knobs  $389

Any thoughts on mounts/rings?  
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:27:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top