Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2003 8:09:48 AM EDT
I posted on the precision rifle board and figured I should ask here also. Anyone out there used this scope? I'm considering buying one from SWFA and wanted some first hand opinions. The price is right and all the reviews on their site are favorable, of course.

I'm gonna be shooting out to ~750yds. and can't decide, if I get one, whether to get the 10x or 16x version. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any given.

Shabo
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to the industry board and scoll down the SWFA forum.  There's a thread tacked at the top that discusses this scope and there are probably other threads if you scroll down.

I don't have first-hand experience with one but I've heard nothing but good about them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I liked the one I had! Decent scope for the money I spent on it...glass was really clear, held zero, solid construction, etc...
I didn't rap it around the field so I can't really vouch for how much abuse it will take though.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I have owned one for a few months now and I think it is a very good value. Mine is a 10X and I've only used it to 400 yards but it works well at that range. I may get another.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I was told that the Super Sniper scopes all use a 10X mildot... so if you get the 16x one, the mil-dot system won't work.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was told that the Super Sniper scopes all use a 10X mildot... so if you get the 16x one, the mil-dot system won't work.
View Quote

This is nonsense.  The mil dots are properly calibrated on all three scopes (10x,16x, and 20x).  I have the 20x.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:23:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had 2 of the 10x SS scopes.  All of my scoped rifles are slowly getting Leupold scopes, but one still has an SS scope on it.  For the $$ the Tasco SS is a great deal.  I have shot with one out to 750 yards.  I haven't had any problems with them.  They have plenty of elevation adjustment and track well.  I did scratch an ocular lens. I sent it back to Tasco and they repaired it.  This was right before Bushnell bought them.  I would say buy one and if your budget allows it buy a Leupold later, but keep the Tasco SS as a backup.

IDHunt
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Any recommendations on a mount and rings to set up the Tasco SS on a Century Arms G3 clone. It has a flat-top picatinny rail similar to the M4.

Link Posted: 8/11/2003 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Not a fan of the Tasco scopes, but many here believe they are a good value.  Regardless of manufacture a fixed 16 power scope is a poor choice unless it is going on a special purpose rifle and that is a long range only rifle.  Your field of view will be so narrow that it will become hard to find the target.  Any movement will be exagerated making the the rifle basically useless unless fired from a bench, bipod or some very stable field position.

16x magnification is great for long range shooting or smaller targets at medium ranges (like p. dogs at 400 yards or so).

A decent variable like a 4.5-14x or 4-12x will do most everything and thus make your rifle much more versatile. The Bushnell 3200 in 4-12 power is a nice scope for under $400 if I recall correctly.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Any recommendations on a mount and rings to set up the Tasco SS on a Century Arms G3 clone. It has a flat-top picatinny rail similar to the M4.

View Quote

Well if its a standard rail then look no further than badger ordnance rings.  Since the front OBJ is 42mm I believe you can get away with medium height rings.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this height assessment
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top