Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2005 4:52:54 AM EDT
I know this will vary slighly due to the barrel length, etc.
I just mounted a Dieter CQD on a 16" HBAR.
I have played around with it to find out what works best.
The farther out towards the muzzle it seems to carry the weight better (less front heavy).
The closer to the receiver the better the support of my left arm being close to my body plus the quicker the muzzle will move.
I settled on dead center of the forend.
What's your rule of thumb?

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:04:49 AM EDT
[#1]
There is not one.

What you want to make sure you have is the ability to "squeeze the rifle" with both arms.

EX:
Hold it at (high ready)  , gripping each.
Squeeze both armpits together , keeping a a firm grip on both grips.
This allows for better handling of weapon and also helps with accuracy and follow up shots.
---- * Reasoning/Jusrtification for grip being closer to mag well ---- It is easier to squeeze the rifle and control it better. This provides you a more firm grip for control.
"If front hand is far out there - this effects your ability to squeeze the front grip with a similar feel/angle of arms/pits as the rear arm"

Try both....................................................................................

Closer works better for me.....
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:42:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Different strokes for different folks. I run mine about 2/3 back.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:39:00 AM EDT
[#3]

I liked mine as close to the mag well as I could get it...I finally just removed it and went back to using the mag well.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:42:17 AM EDT
[#4]
use what feels best to you.

i felt that having it mounted closer to the magwell feels fast and is less muzzle heavy
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:54:32 AM EDT
[#5]
No set rules for placement, but on a CQB weapon - like an M4 or shorty - I like it closer to the magwell, about 1/3 back from center. It's faster for me and I've always used it there so it's familiar.

Where you place it is nowhere near as important as how much you train with it in that particular location.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top