Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/18/2008 7:59:57 AM EST
Okay, gonna put together one last AR (yeah, I know). Will be used for casual shooting, SHTF, maybe carbine course in the future.
I'm looking at either:
1) LMT 14.5" 1/7 carbine upper, no frills with a perm attached FH (maybe Vortex).
2) Sabre Defence's new 14.5" MIDLENGTH 1/7 upper with perm attached ext A2 FH.
Either one will have an LMT FA BCG installed and quality CH.

It's going to cost over $150+ more for the LMT. I also believe the warranty will be voided due to the smithing req'd to perm install the FH to bring the OAL to 16".
Ques are, is it worth the money just to have an LMT, name recongition, etc?
I know that 14.5" middys are pretty rare, but do you guys forsee any reliability issues with this combination?
Any advice and opinions appreciated.
TIA
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 10:59:54 AM EST
I have several 14.5 w/ perm Phantom LMTs. It is probably my favorite GP barrel. They are very accurate. They also maintain fantastic accuracy despite lots of abuse.

Yesterday i put together a Middy using a 16" Sabre barrel, that besides length/gas system has all the same specs as the LMT. Both are 4150 steel, chrome lined, gov't profile, M4 feed ramps, 1/7 blah blah blah. Neither are parked under the FSB, which is my only gripe against either company. I only had time to do a rough zero on the TA31 so no real accuracy test. It's going to prove to be a good one though.

It seems they're on par with each other as far as quality and accuracy. I'd say the only thing you need to consider is your preference on gas system.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 1:44:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/18/2008 1:44:38 PM EST by ar-jedi]

Originally Posted By Radjxf:
1) LMT 14.5" 1/7 carbine upper, no frills with a perm attached FH (maybe Vortex).
Any advice and opinions appreciated,

i went with LMT 14.5" upper, and had Denny at GTS pin-and-weld a PWS FSC556 on the end. added LMT M4 lower, and LMT std FA BCG.

very happy with the results.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/28/2008 9:34:58 AM EST
Nobody I shoot with has Sabre so I say LMT.I couldn't recommend anything I don't actually use.I use regular length uppers(no mid length) I buy quality and take care of them Never really understood the hoopla over the mid length mania
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 4:02:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By shootinmedic:
Nobody I shoot with has Sabre so I say LMT.I couldn't recommend anything I don't actually use.I use regular length uppers(no mid length) I buy quality and take care of them Never really understood the hoopla over the mid length mania

HUH?

Your buddies don't have Sabre's therefore the LMT is better quality?? Regular length, do you mean carbine length?? Your comment on quality is ignorant, Sabre is on par with LMT. Mid-length's have their advantages, just because you don't know them doesn't mean it's "hoopla".

Sabre and LMT are both high quality uppers. If it were me, I would get the Sabre and put the $150 in ammo or mags.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 5:07:42 PM EST

Don't get me wrong, LMT is top of the line as far as M4s go; I have 2 LMT 14.5s. Sabre does make one hell of a middy barrel though. One of my bro's shot my Sabre middy this weekend and wants one now. The only reason you don't understand the "hoopla" is because you're ignorant to it. Try one out (any middy) and you'll see what people like about them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 5:28:22 PM EST

I couldn't recommend anything I don't actually use.
I use regular length uppers (no mid length)
Never really understood the hoopla over the mid length mania

interesting logic there.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 3:21:44 AM EST
I am really happy with my Armalite middy I know it is not top notch like Sabre or LMT but I just don't really know if I want to buy a Car now that I got so used to my middy and I am looking at buying another rilfe and since I want another middy it will prolly be Sabre, but like I said I did not think my Armalite would be so good I shoot 1moa with my TA31F on it the only thing it is not the 4150 its 4140 but I really can't tell the difference after shooting my friends bushmaster that had a 4150 barrel on it but I have heard if you are going to use the gun in full auto that is where you will see it. another thing I have noticed is my Armalite like's higher grain rounds when I was told 1/9 twist is more for 62ish I find it shoots 68gr ammo the best so far and I was really shocked when I found the ammo my Armalite liked.. there is one thing I would like to ask, what is the moa on the Sabre and LMT's I know I want another middy so I will end up going with Sabre unless LMT has a middy I don't know about.. but anyway I really would like to find out the MOA on the 16" barrels.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 4:16:47 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:04:31 PM EST
I own both. I would gladly trade the LMT for another Sabre.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:29:22 PM EST
All I have ever shot is middys, so I don't know what not to like about CARs. I bought one this winter, it sits in the safe. Will most likely hand it down to one of the boys.

What is the big deal about middy's. I know what I have heard, but if it is true why does LE and .mil have CARs......

???

Where do you get Sabres cheaper then LMTs, I am about to order a LMT Car 14.5 perm, for the MSRP of 485 and the Sabre web site prices are really high.
Top Top