Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/14/2003 6:46:11 AM EDT
Drooling over the Colt Military website, the Colt Automatic Rifle catches my eye...

In the overview, it says that it fires from the Open bolt position.

How would an open bolt AR work? i've seen the Armalite videos on the operation of the M16 so i kinda know how it works in closed bolt.

Nakey
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I once shot an open bolt AR.  Long time ago.  IIRC, the bolt was notched out at the bottom, and the trigger retracted a piece (a "sear"??) that was where the hammer traditionally is.  It worked just like a MP40 or a "Greasegun".  The bolt keeps going back and forth until the trigger is released and it catches in the notch.  But I can't remember how the front of the bolt was configured.  What actually popped the cap...It could have been a sliding assembly within the bolt....but it's been too long to remember.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top