Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2003 6:30:27 PM EDT
I was lookin at USOrdnance Semi M60's they offer and it said its an OPEN BOLT. I could have sworn that open bolt production was banned??? I've seen the open bolt conversion kit for AR's as well. Somebody please clue me in on this cuz im VERY confused.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I looked on their website and found on the semi's you described.  The description at the top was about the M60 machine gun, and not about the semi you would be able to buy.

Tex78

edited to update after finding the semi's
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never heard anything about open bolt weapons being banned but that does not mean it isn't true.  (Generally speaking, I don't believe open bolt weapons are as accurate as those that fire from the closed position.)
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#3]
still confused, but thanks just the same.
Jeremy
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#4]
They are not banned. All open-bolts I am aware of are semi-auto versions of MGs (MAC10, KG-9, etc.). Problem is, they are easily modified to FA, so ATF will not approve them as Semi-Auto, unless a manufacturer makes drastic changes to prevent conversion. So far, most manufacturers choose to make closed bolts versions.

On top of this, very few new SMGs designs are open-bolt, seems most SMG development is closed-bolt. So the future seems to be closed-bolt.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#5]
ok open bolt isnt banned but very restricted? i kinda like open bolt in something like a mac since accuracy never would be an issue. its just something different to shoot.
Thanks for the info,
Jeremy
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#6]
ummmm please excuse my novice, but whats an open bolt? I've heard that and closed bolt before, what are they?
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ummmm please excuse my novice, but whats an open bolt? I've heard that and closed bolt before, what are they?
Thanks
View Quote

CLOSED BOLT: A weapon which has a cartridge chambered before the trigger is pulled.

OPEN BOLT: A weapon which relases the bolt upon pulling the trigger, thus chambering and firing the cartridge in one motion.

The open bolt principle is used in SUSTAINED FIRE weapons.

This ensures that COOK-OFFs do not occur.

Calvin
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 11:41:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They are not banned. All open-bolts I am aware of are semi-auto versions of MGs (MAC10, KG-9, etc.). Problem is, they are easily modified to FA, so ATF will not approve them as Semi-Auto, unless a manufacturer makes drastic changes to prevent conversion. So far, most manufacturers choose to make closed bolts versions.

On top of this, very few new SMGs designs are open-bolt, seems most SMG development is closed-bolt. So the future seems to be closed-bolt.
View Quote

Just an additional note to Renegades correct statement, ATF made the ruling on the Mac's after many semi open bolts had been produced.  Those are still legal to own, but since then no more could be made, just like the converted drum mags (Suomi to M11 & MP5)

Closed bolt systems are generally more accurate anyways, though open bolt are more resistant to cook off.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#9]
so what guns are still legal to be made semi open bolt?????
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
so what guns are still legal to be made semi open bolt?????
View Quote

All of them, as long as you can show ATF it cannot be easily converted to Full-Auto. AFAIK, nobody is making any OB guns due to this difficulty factor.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I believe the semi open bolt Macs and Tec/KG's are still prohibited (aren't approved), but those are the only ones I know of.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top