Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/20/2005 2:34:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2005 3:05:51 PM EDT by Big-Will]
Bradely M 231

The M231 (...) was adopted in December 1979 concurrent with the standardization of the M2 Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicle (IFV). (65%) of the parts of the M231 are identical to those of the M16A1 rifle. The M231 firing port weapon is light-weight, air-cooled, gas-operated, cartridge magazine fed, mounted in a ball firing port in the vehicle (two on each side; two in the back). The weapon can be quickly mounted or removed from the vehicle's ball swivel mount. The M231 fires on full automatic only, beginning from open bolt carrier and striker assembly position.

Pics and info came from here.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:26:16 PM EDT
w00t!
yea, lots of fun shooting it also.
side view in the ball mount

rear quarter view in the mount
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:46:59 PM EDT
Excellent pics, thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:54:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CB1:
w00t!
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=28010
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=28011

man that does look like alot of fun. How do you see what you are shooting at? Is there a small window above the mount? Is this mount on the side of the bradley?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:11:07 PM EDT
well, to shoot you kinda half to aim through the periscope while you point the weapon. it is all tracer and you have to walk the rounds in, at 1,200 RPM ammo runs out quick in a 30rd mag.

the Bradley M2 had 6 ports ( 2 each side) for the M231. the A3 model has 2 ports just on the rear ramp
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:52:44 PM EDT
I have the same door ... to my basement.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:22:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Big-Will:

Originally Posted By CB1:
w00t!
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=28010
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=28011

man that does look like alot of fun. How do you see what you are shooting at? Is there a small window above the mount? Is this mount on the side of the bradley?

tracers buddy, tracers...

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:57:29 PM EDT
im interested to know how the M16 varient fires from an open bolt. does it have a fixed firing pin? any pictures of the BCG?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:18:50 PM EDT
1,200rpm?

That sounds like pure fun.

Add a Beta and.....

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:19:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DvlDog:
im interested to know how the M16 varient fires from an open bolt. does it have a fixed firing pin? any pictures of the BCG?

It has a striker inline with the (much modified) bolt/bolt carrier assembly. When the sear (the whole trigger mechanism is WAY different!) releases the carrier, it goes forward, strips and chambers a round and locks the bolt, then the inline striker continues forward and hits the firing pin. Gas from the barrel operates the weapon. The spring and carrier are so light that the thing cycles CRAZY fast. 1200 RPM equates to 20 rounds PER SECOND.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:47:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GHPorter:

Originally Posted By DvlDog:

It has a striker inline with the (much modified) bolt/bolt carrier assembly. When the sear (the whole trigger mechanism is WAY different!) releases the carrier, it goes forward, strips and chambers a round and locks the bolt, then the inline striker continues forward and hits the firing pin. Gas from the barrel operates the weapon. The spring and carrier are so light that the thing cycles CRAZY fast. 1200 RPM equates to 20 rounds PER SECOND.

Does that thing jam up like a bitch shooting that fast?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:02:54 AM EDT
In the two times I fired it live I have not seen it jam at all. It even worked good with a couple of mags worth of blanks. I only fired it live at Ft Hood and in Germany in a range controlled enviroment. I wonder how it holds up in the desert under "un-controlled" enviroments.

Controlled enviroments meaning that the weapons are cleaned/inspected, closed range, pre picked targets, etc.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:40:35 PM EDT
I had a Lieutenant in DS/DS who used one when he dismounted from his Bradley.

He basically could have jumped up and down and shouted "I'm an officer! Shoot me!" and the enemy would have said "We know".

They are fun little buzzguns though.
Top Top