Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2003 2:12:25 PM EDT
I did a search, but did not find what I was looking for.  I know I've read somewhere about Olympic quality being a little rough.  Can any one back this. I found an Oly lower for $130 out the door.  Is this good or can I do better?  I know opinions are like a**holes but I like to hear about people's experiences.I have a Bushy, but never had an Olympic.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple Oly lowers and they are of excellent quality.  I would recommend them.  $130 a piece is an OK price but you should probably be able to get them from around $100. Look on the EE.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I've owned a Pre-Ban Oly Car-15 for many years and it has never failed me but once and that was a bad extractor. I like them.

Danny
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I think there quality has greatly improved over the last year or so. Previously, people had complaints about tight fitting magazine wells and out of spec lowers. I have a very early Palmetto (made by Olympic) that I'm considering having remanufactured, although it's just find the way it is. It's a slabside.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I did a search, but did not find what I was looking for.  I know I've read somewhere about Olympic quality being a little rough.  Can any one back this. I found an Oly lower for $130 out the door.  Is this good or can I do better?  I know opinions are like a**holes but I like to hear about people's experiences.I have a Bushy, but never had an Olympic.
View Quote

The cheapest I have seen for a new Oly lower is $125, I bought it and built a Match AR, no problems. $130 is about standard retail, if it is forged. If it is cast, $85 but I would not buy a cast receiver from any manufacturer.

I bought a new Olympic PCR7 a year ago, and after over 2000 rounds, never have had a single failure, no stoppages whatsoever. I love it, and would buy another AR from them. Their lifetime warranty speaks for itself. You may hear of quality issues in the earlier years, but those seem to be gone now, and in any case, they honor their lifetime warranty even for prebans.
I can't speak for anyone else, but my experience with Olympic has been excellent.

_DR
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. Going to try to build my first AR. $110 for the lower, roughly $10 for tax, $10 for the background check = $130. Sounds fair to me??  
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I own one Preban Oly 11.5" circa 1993. Had a few minor issues, but out of the 3 ARs I own its my favorite by far, almost every time I go out its the one I grab... John
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#7]
An Oly is a lifetime investment. If it breaks they will fix it, well what I'm getting to is there policy of remilling pre-ban and class III recievers. This may not seem like a big deal but it probably didn't seem like a big deal to someone who made a machinegun out of one back in the day either but now, at least to me it would seem like solid gold.

Glockdog

Airborne!!
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I own one Olympic preban lower. Its quality is top notch. Certainly the equal of any AR lower.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top