Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 7/17/2006 5:33:04 AM EDT
Hi all, first time on the forum

im after some info, im currently doing Research and development for my agency and im interested in any feedback i can get on Olympic arms Model K40-GL- their AR15 version with the Glock 22 lower. I have ordered one for trial which will hopefully arrive soon however a have seen very little in the way of reviews on the net. Also what is the general opinion on their Model UM-1P (heavy barrel marksman version), We are also looking at a short range precision marksman weapon system and I ended up ordering a bushmaster counter sniper version of their varminter for trial as i could find no independant info on the UM-1P.????????

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 6:05:51 AM EDT
I think I've seen a couple of folks talk about these in the pistol caliber section.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 6:16:18 AM EDT
IM me regarding the GL version; we are currently deploying them.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 4:55:54 PM EDT
Try this linkReview

If you have archive access you may be able to find the original, this member is LE and his department purchased .40 versions.
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 8:10:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 2tired2run:
Try this linkReview

If you have archive access you may be able to find the original, this member is LE and his department purchased .40 versions.

Achive

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=260102

Team Membership has it's privlidges....
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 1:02:46 PM EDT
I knew that was out there, but was told by another member (non-team member I suppose) that is was not in the archive. Thank you for posting the link for the gentleman
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 1:27:04 AM EDT
I'd like to hear an update on the review.

Link Posted: 7/19/2006 4:25:30 AM EDT
I'll try to formulate something later today or tomorrow. I need to check with the rest of the instructors to see what the status is beyond my experiece.
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 10:40:56 AM EDT
I would appreciate that sir.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:15:51 PM EDT
Bump for any more info?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:34:05 PM EDT
I've got the K9GL and I like it a lot.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:07:24 AM EDT
How does the bolt hold open work? Will it stay open at "Empty Mag"?

Have you seen the mod to add a push button on the mag release bar?

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:16:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2006 5:40:15 AM EDT by wolfpak]
The bolt does lock to the rear on the last round.

Here is also a link showing how I modified my mag release bar. It works great.

http://www.oa2.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=27476#27476
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:04:52 AM EDT
I had a request to follow-up on our KGL .40 department weapons.

Functionally, we have had 3 broken extractors, and a few other items mostly due to weapons being beat up. We have continued to have some problems with the aftermarket 28 round magazines.

There is a growing consensus that the weapon really doesn't fit a niche for us. Its another pistol caliber carbine, which in and of itself is fine, but for deployment/practical applications a harder hitting round (rifle) would be preferred.

This is a perception so far, but several instructors and a few team leaders have begun putting some documentation together to support their preference.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the rifle, A little rough, somewhat goofy in appearance (if that’s important to you; I could care less as long as it goes bang when I pull the trigger) I'm just not a big cheerleader for it. I was never a big fan of the Colt 9mm when we deployed it, and only mediocre on the MP-10.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:17:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By wolfpak:

Great idea
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:47:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2006 11:50:59 AM EDT by Noxspector]

Originally Posted By wolfpak:

Very cool! I wasn't sure it would.

Yep! that's the mod/link I was going to mention.

nturavrgcop thanks for the update. What would be a guesstanment 'my term' on round count when the extractors failed?

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:03:39 PM EDT
I finally got mine about a year ago and had the barrel SBRed and supressed by LRM. LRM does phenomenal work--we shot it side by side with an MP5 SD. It was as quiet or quieter than the SD-- both were running on standard velocity ammo.

Mag changes are a bitch. It is very difficult to insert a fresh mag and have it lock in place when the bolt is closed. Standard capacity mags work better and hold open more often. I have had one extractor blown off -- could have been handloads. I think it may have fired out of battery. It is extremely accurate with no recoil--it is a great weapon to shoot, but I would not trust my life with it.

Hope that helps.

Top Top