Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2006 5:33:04 AM EDT
Hi all, first time on the forum

im after some info, im currently doing Research and development for my agency and im interested in any feedback i can get on Olympic arms Model K40-GL- their AR15 version with the Glock 22 lower. I have ordered one for trial which will hopefully arrive soon however a have seen very little in the way of reviews on the net. Also what is the general opinion on their Model UM-1P (heavy barrel marksman version), We are also looking at a short range precision marksman weapon system and I ended up ordering a bushmaster counter sniper version of their varminter for trial as i could find no independant info on the UM-1P.????????

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 6:05:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I think I've seen a couple of folks talk about these in the pistol caliber section.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 6:16:18 AM EDT
[#2]
IM me regarding the GL version; we are currently deploying them.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Try this linkReview

If you have archive access you may be able to find the original, this member is LE and his department purchased .40 versions.
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Try this linkReview

If you have archive access you may be able to find the original, this member is LE and his department purchased .40 versions.

Achive

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=260102

Team Membership has it's privlidges....
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I knew that was out there, but was told by another member (non-team member I suppose) that is was not in the archive.  Thank you for posting the link for the gentleman
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 1:27:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd like to hear an update on the review.

Link Posted: 7/19/2006 4:25:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll try to formulate something later today or tomorrow.  I need to check with the rest of the instructors to see what the status is beyond my experiece.
Link Posted: 7/19/2006 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I would appreciate that sir.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Bump for any more info?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got the K9GL and I like it a lot.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:07:24 AM EDT
[#11]
How does the bolt hold open work? Will it stay open at "Empty Mag"?

Have you seen the mod to add a push button on the mag release bar?

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:16:56 AM EDT
[#12]
The bolt does lock to the rear on the last round.

Here is also a link showing how I modified my mag release bar.  It works great.

http://www.oa2.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=27476#27476
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a request to follow-up on our KGL .40 department weapons.

Functionally, we have had 3 broken extractors, and a few other items mostly due to weapons being beat up. We have continued to have some problems with the aftermarket 28 round magazines.

There is a growing consensus that the weapon really doesn't fit a niche for us.  Its another pistol caliber carbine, which in and of itself is fine, but for deployment/practical applications a harder hitting round (rifle) would be preferred.

This is a perception so far, but several instructors and a few team leaders have begun putting some documentation together to support their preference.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the rifle, A little rough, somewhat goofy in appearance (if that’s important to you; I could care less as long as it goes bang when I pull the trigger) I'm just not a big cheerleader for it.  I was never a big fan of the Colt 9mm when we deployed it, and only mediocre on the MP-10.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Great idea
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Very cool! I wasn't sure it would.

Yep! that's the mod/link I was going to mention.

nturavrgcop thanks for the update. What would be a guesstanment 'my term' on round count when the extractors failed?

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I finally got mine about a year ago and had the barrel SBRed and supressed by LRM.  LRM does phenomenal work--we shot it side by side with an MP5 SD.  It was as quiet or quieter than the SD-- both were running on standard velocity ammo.  

Mag changes are a bitch.  It is very difficult to insert a fresh mag and have it lock in place when the bolt is closed.  Standard capacity mags work better and hold open more often.  I have had one extractor blown off -- could have been handloads.  I think it may have fired out of battery.  It is extremely accurate with no recoil--it is a great weapon to shoot, but I would not trust my life with it.  

Hope that helps.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top