Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/17/2005 7:40:29 PM EDT
I bought 500 rounds of Olympic 6months ago. It shot without a hitch then I started reading about the trouble everyone else is having and quit buying it. Saturday I was in Gander Mountain and they had it 99.00 a thousand. I could not control myself and expected the worst. I ran it through my RR M4, no problam them I put it in a brand spanking new Armalite A4 and still no problem. It came in 50 round boxes markes FMJ M193. Is this the stuff that is causing the trouble? Have they corrected the issues? Bad batch? Am I just lucky? I am really tempted to go back and buy another 1000.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought 1000 rounds about 1 year  ago before I read all about it.  I didn't have a single problem with any rounds out the 1000 I had.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I baught 1000 rounds of it back in Jan. or Feb.  and have shot about 500 rounds of it so far.  It is not as accurate but I havent had any problems with it (knock on wood) yet.  I was thinking maybe I was lucky also.  For $99 per 1000 it would be hard to pass it up and just use it for plinking ammo.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Check the ammo review tacked at the top of the ammo page here.  I had horrible experiences with their SS109 ammo but never tried the 55 grain stuff.  There were alot of posts and pics on how out of spec the 55 grain ammo was though.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems like quite a few people here "got lucky" and had no problems with the Olympic.  I too, purchased 1K before reading these forums, ... I guess showing my ignorance.  Bottom line, although the stuff isn't terribly accurate, it's more accurate than I am, shooting off hand at gongs.  Since that's what I do with my AR (Bush 20in) I can't complain.  

Compared to XM193, it has less "dings", brass is more polished, and primer is sealed.  I know aesthetics aren't terribly important, but I found it interesting all the same.

Quite a few folks seem to have had problems with SS109 .. I am using the M193.  I certainly don't claim that it's as good as US Mil Spec ammo, but I do believe that to be effective with any firearm, you've got to practice .. a LOT.  Cheaper ammo (as long as it's safe) allows more practice per dollar spent.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#5]
There was a thread here about a few months ago, someone came on here bragging about their "new" ammo and their great quality control on the new stuff, a vendor chimed in saying the same thing, the vendor sent a quantity in for review, the person who did the review found that a tremendous amount of the ammo wouldn't fit in the industry standard gauges, as I recall they pulled bullets and found substantial differences in powder charges, and a lot of other problems.  At the time of the test, their quality was still sub standard, and it wasn't that long ago.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I've gone through 2k rounds of the stuff so far.  Haven't had a problem with it.  I'm using the M193 Gander Mtn. stuff in a RRA Tact entry.  I've been lucky as far as accuracy goes.  About 2in. sometimes less.  Cleaner than wolf, and haven't seen a single primer fall off of any of them.  At $99 for 1k.  I might pick up a couple more.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess if you are a gambling man, Olympic is your plinking ammo.  With such great odds, and all you have to lose is your life/limb/eye/other body parts.  I'll stick to other "plinking" sources that are as cheap or cheaper like Wolf etc.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=220304

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top