Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 1:07:38 AM EDT
Has anyone seen one of these? What do you think? I might need to try one when they come out. It sounds like an easy convertion. Cheap mags. Only problem, isnt .30 Carbine ammo a little on the expensive side?

http://www.olyarms.com/usa.html (click New Stuff)

Lets see, Hmmmmm,  SBR .30 carbine upper, flattop w/ Trijicon Reflex, fixed short tactical stock. Maybe a surefire tac. light.  Just a dream for the time being.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm kinda surprised we have'nt heard a report on one yet. I thought they were already available. There is'nt a whole lot of cheap ammo like you said. Also I have'nt heard a price on the upper with mag block?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I only saw them in the development stage before I left oly arms as a cnc machinist.

I worked on the bolts and some of the mag blocks.

Word was that the Israeli Defence Force , aka IDF, ordered some conversion kits because they favor the caliber for room to room searches. Story could have been bunk, but who can tell.

Oly arms has had alot of experience with the 30 cal as its founder used to rechamber WWII carbines into "17 Pee Wee", 30 cal carbine necked down to 17 cal.

Can't see that it would be a real big seller given the ammos price and popularity, but its nice to see some choices.

Fritze Out

Now the 300 WSSM, or 30 Olympic, whichever comes first, is what I'm waiting for in ernest.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#3]
http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?bool=AND&keywords=*&maxhits=20&cartid=a-7002&category=All&keywords_1=am00mo&keywords=.30+carbine&go=Find+It%21

Some of these prices dont seem to bad
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:03:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Rgr That,

Good prices on that site.

The gunshop I work at now sells AE 9mm at $7.99 a box, WOLF ammo when we have is even cheaper. The cheapest to shoot Oly alt caliber is the 9mm which is what the others are going to have to compete with.

I hope all the best for the 30 cal conversions, its a great little round.

Fritze Out
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:49:41 AM EDT
[#5]
The only limitation on the AR series caliber conversions is the magazine. Now that someone has got a mag conversion to feed the 30 carbine we can use that platform to play withy wildcats. I am particularly lt interested in necking it down to 22 caliber. A bottle necked case should feed even more reliable.

At one point there was a conversion to make the 30 carbine a 44 mag.

I think this new conversion will open up more doors for the AR.

Creuizer
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Why would you want to neck down a .30 carbine to .22 cal?

I think they already make a centerfire .22 that works great in ARs... but I could be wrong.

Actually, I don't see the practical side of .30 carbine in an AR.  Of course I have never let that stop me before...

Scot
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting......

If I have the $$$ maybe someday.

But the mags and mag block would allow diffent cal. uppers to be made. Hummmmm......

Edit-
Just saw that the upper has to be "notched" and that the ejector is like everyother Oly upper.....on the upper (da spring)...ugg
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The only limitation on the AR series caliber conversions is the magazine. Now that someone has got a mag conversion to feed the 30 carbine we can use that platform to play withy wildcats. I am particularly lt interested in necking it down to 22 caliber. A bottle necked case should feed even more reliable.

Creuizer
View Quote

The necking down of the .30 carbine was already done. I believe it was called a "Ferret", or something like that. I run across them from time to time on the internet. Sorry I can't be of more help.
---------------------------------------------
Whici will it be, Webster's or Oxford?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Creuizer
View Quote

The necking down of the .30 carbine was already done. I believe it was called a "Ferret", or something like that. I run across them from time to time on the internet. Sorry I can't be of more help.
---------------------------------------------
Whici will it be, Webster's or Oxford?
View Quote

Also heard it called the 5.7spitfire IIRC...underdog
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top