Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/8/2005 6:35:36 AM EDT
I like the fact that the OA-93 has no recoil tube.
Please relate your actual experances with this
pistol.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:26:47 PM EDT
I ordered two. One came with cracks in the anodizing but OLY took it back and gave me a full refund.

The second one is awesome. It runs like a scalded dog. It eats wolf all day without incident.

The combination of the SS barrel and steel free float handguard makes it too hot to hold without gloves, after 3 mag dumps.

I love the no buffer tube look.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:44:48 PM EDT
I should be getting mine this next week whenever the FFL transfer takes place... I'll report back when I do.

-HK-
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:59:46 PM EDT
Don't have one...but you might want to read this thread...if you haven't seen it already.

OA 98 thread
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:56:13 PM EDT
I just got it today and will be taking it to the range on Sunday... more to come after the trip to the range.

-HK-
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:53:56 PM EDT
Range Report:

Well friends, I just took my new OA-93 to the range, and was quite impressed. I started with Winchester white box 5.56 and it worked flawlessly. I had a couple of FTE's with Remington 55-grain .223, but nothing serious. As far as reliability goes, it's a shooter all right. Out of the box, I averaged 2-3 inch groups at 7 and 15 meters and roughly five inches at 25 meters. I'd say the pistol is a shade more accurate than I am, since this was outdoors, unsupported, standing.

I must admit that, while the Beta-C 100 round drum looks awesome on it in pictures, it is a bit unweildly to handle for unsupported shooting. There just isn't enough room out front of the weapon to make the 100-rounder feasible. I found myself letting the drum rest on my forearm and holding the foregrip from underneath. Not the most ideal, but switching to a GI 30-rounder cured that pretty quick.

The aluminum free-float tube gets a bit warm after about 20 rounds and quite hot after 50 or so; it also didn't seem to cool very quickly, even when shaded from the sun. I'm planning to wrap it with 550 cord, so I guess that won't really matter next time I take her out.

I do recommend optics of some sort. I did some initial shooting without anything and never did find an easy way to see where exactly I was aiming. Luckily those were part of my function test and not when I started keeping score. I dropped a cheap red dot (that I had bought for it) on it, and even un-boresighted it helped immensely.

All in all, it's not the best weapon I have ever shot, nor is it anywhere near the worst., but it did score pretty well on the list. If you want an out of the box AR pistol that doesn't require the buffer tube assembly, I highly recommend it. As with anything it has its pluses and minuses.

Pluses...
  • it just looks wicked, especially with the 100-round drum
  • it's alot of fun to shoot. especially at night
  • may very well be about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on hout
  • tends to get a little warm to the touch
  • may be picky on which ammo it likes, but time will tell

Cheers,

-HK-
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:42:31 PM EDT
I have had a lot of ftf problems with mine sometimes it will shoot a mag but last time I had it out 4 rounds were the most it would shoot without recocking. It is not nearly as fun to shoot as a bolt gun.I have tried diffrent mags and ammo. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:16:54 AM EDT
I have a OA-98 and love it.

I am getting pretty good with one hand.

I use my Eotec 552 on mine.

I would like to put a free float tube on it instead of the shroud, but can't find one that will fit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:39:27 PM EDT
Not sure if you are looking for one like the current OA-93 or not, but Olympic has them here.

-HK-
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:50:23 PM EDT
Hello everyone,

I am seriously thinking about getting the OA-93. I am pretty new to AR-5's, I have a OA-KB3 with only about 300 rounds through it. No problems at all and I love it.

Is it difficult to site in a red dot scope on these OA-93 pistols? What would be the best way to do so? Thanks for any help.

Ed
Top Top