Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/24/2006 6:15:03 PM EDT
Hello, I'm new to the board; I was doing some work at the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant (that's right, originator of the LC loads/brass) and a Corps employee pointed out this site to me.  I'm considering an Olympic M4, collapsible stock, P. rail w/sights and handle, and I was wondering if anyone has any alternate brand advice.  I sold Colts 20 years ago to law enforcement et. al., but have been out of the biz since then.  Several to choose from now....sorry I missed my chance at the (then new) pre-ban h-bars.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#1]
buy nice, or buy twice!

save up a few more bucks and buy something nicer...
Hang out here for a bit, read A LOT, the answers are all here.

Welcome to the board!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Olympic will be just fine.  I currently own a plinker plus and have owned other AR's in the past, Olympic, Bushmaster, Colt, etc and in my opinion, the Oly is on par with any of the other brands.  There will be some that will tell you they are "junk", but you will usually find they have never even owned one, but their brothers's wifes cousin did.....

My Olympic has been problem free for thousands of rounds, as were most of my other AR's, except for a Bushmaster that I had to send back...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Olympic will be just fine.  I currently own a plinker plus and have owned other AR's in the past, Olympic, Bushmaster, Colt, etc and in my opinion, the Oly is on par with any of the other brands.  There will be some that will tell you they are "junk", but you will usually find they have never even owned one, but their brothers's wifes cousin did.....

My Olympic has been problem free for thousands of rounds, as were most of my other AR's, except for a Bushmaster that I had to send back...

My oly is my "beater".  It eats cheap wolf ammo like candy and I've NEVER had a problem with it.  It seems that Oly has a bad rep from some quality issues a few years ago, but those have since been corrected.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:37:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I will second that, I have absolutley no complaints.  Go for it
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:45:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Wheres the cheapest online dealer for these olympic M4's?

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:13:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Since you sold Colt ARs, you are likely aware of the advantage they have over the so-called clones.

The gap between Colt and the others has narrowed -many believe disappeared- so there are viable options from Oly, RRA, Bushmaster and Armalite plus a plethora of other specialty houses

If it were me, I'd go with a Bushmaster, Colt or RRA, since the money is essentially the same.

If you could save $200+ on an Oly......go that way

Otherwise, you will be compromising on some critical areas.

Does it  matter? Only you can answer that.

welcome to AR15.com!

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:41:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, guys.  I think I can get the Oly M4 A3 for about $760 from a guy I know still in the biz.  I've always felt stung a little because at the time I could have bought a case of the Colt H's for 500 each, but I was busy spending my paycheck on antiques ( Octogon 94's in 30 WCF, 30/40's, big handguns, etc.).  How was I to know that the Liberal mentality would be "if it's black, ban it!"? I was alot younger then...

Lake City was cool.  So was Radford.  AMAZING "kill you now and take down your building" tank rounds being produced there.  I scored some manufacturer's books (from the 40's through the 70's) identifing cartuches, ammo head stamps, true ballistic data, etc.  

Anyhow, if I can get this AR scratch itched, I can move on to the MIA NM that's been ticklin' me.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top