Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2005 1:15:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2005 7:30:51 PM EDT by gaweidert]
Yesterday I was at a local gun show and decided to get an Olympic K3B (M4) with an A3 style top and 16" barrel and an adjustable stock.  I got the rifle and the handle.  With all my expenses the last six months I decided to go the inexpensive route to see how these rifles perform for me.   I can alway trad it on something else if I decide I don't like it.

Broke it down last night to clean and lube it.  Definitely not as smooth as my Bushmaster., but fit and finish were very good.  Today I took it to the range.  Only problems were with the new mags I got form Cheaper Than Dirt..   The Colt and Bushmaster mags I have worked fine.  The cheap mags worked if I loaded 18 rounds instead of 20.    These mags loaded the last few rounds very tight and I was concerned about them before shooting.  I am going to modify them a bit.

I fired 210 rounds through it.  The seller said that  the barrel on this rifle would hold 1/2" at 100 meters.  I have to say I tend to agree with him.   I put an el-cheapo 4 x 30  NcStar scope on it and let her rip.  As the range is covered with wet heavy snow and I was only there to break the rifle in anyways, I took no targets with me.  I took a shot at 50 yards and looked at the hole in the snow.  Took another shot and used this to adjust the scope.   Once I got it sighted in the hole in the snow just stayed the same size.    Took a few shots at some targets that were left there by previous shooters and every shot went to point of aim.  Don't know if this is just a really good barrel or what, but I am very pleased with it's accuracy.

I got two different brand or mags from CTD.  The ones that caused the most problems were  the ones listed under the catalog number MAG-063.   These are all 20 round mags.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:20:05 PM EDT
I thought NY state had some goofy AWB of their own, is that just NYC?  

Either way, congrats on your new carbine!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:05:08 PM EDT
I bought the same rifle and just put the same scope on it last week ! !

I don't have anything to compare it to as this is my first AR, but I like it just fine.

I had the same mag problems with Cheaper Than Dirt steel mags. I returned them and bought USGI aluminum mags at the FtW gun show two weeks ago.

I have yet to buy anything at CTD that was cheap or quality. T'hell with that place.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:53:20 PM EDT
gaweidert,
Stand by for the Oly bashers to tell you it was a waste of your money, etc.  Don't get wrapped up in what others tell you.  Go off of what your observations are.  I would suggest that you get a bunch of USGI 20 and/or 30 round mags for that Oly.  The EE is a great place to start looking.  I tested out a K3B a couple of months ago as well.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:27:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gaweidert:
Yesterday I was at a local gun show and decided to get an Olympic K3B (M4) with an A3 style top and 16" barrel and an adjustable stock.  I got the rifle and the handle.  With all my expenses the last six months I decided to go the inexpensive route to see how these rifles perform for me.   I can alway trad it on something else if I decide I don't like it.

Broke it down last night to clean and lube it.  Definitely not as smooth as my Bushmaster., but fit and finish were very good.  Today I took it to the range.  Only problems were with the new mags I got form Cheaper Than Dirt..   The Colt and Bushmaster mags I have worked fine.  The cheap mags worked if I loaded 18 rounds instead of 20.    These mags loaded the last few rounds very tight and I was concerned about them before shooting.  I am going to modify them a bit.

I fired 210 rounds through it.  The seller said that  the barrel on this rifle would hold 1/2" at 100 meters.  I have to say I tend to agree with him.   I put an el-cheapo 4 x 30  NcStar scope on it and let her rip.  As the range is cover with wet heavy scope and I was onlyyhere to break the rifle in anyways, I took no targets with me.  I took a shot at 50 yards and looked at the hole in the snow.  Took another shot and used this to adjust the scope.   Once I got it sighted in the hole in the snow just stayed the same size.    Took a few shots at some targets that were left there by previous shooters and every shot went to point of aim.  Don't know if this is just a really good barrel or what, but I am very pleased with it's accuracy.

I got two different brand or mags from CTD.  The ones that caused the most problems were  the ones listed under the catalog number MAG-063.   These are all 20 round mags.  

WHAT, NO PIC?!?!?!?! Come on man
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:21:16 PM EDT
The AWB is still in force in the PRNY.    Bushmaster wouldn't send me any mag because I live in NY.  I was able to get a six pack of Colt 20 round mags recently and picked up four more 30 round Colt mags at the show today.    I am going to play with the CTD mags to see if I can get them to work.  Nice winter project.   I figure that if I shorten the spring a little, they will work ok.   If not, they should make great 200 yard targets.  

As to what people may think about my purchase, I could care less.  The day after Kent State, I walked onto the campus where I went to college in my ROTC uniform.  

Now, as to pics, I don't have a digital camera.  While photography has been a hobby of mine for over 30 years, I just can't bring myself to go digital.  To much exposure to fixer fumes I guess.  Kind of funny considering I make my living serviceing high end digital equipment  in the printing industry.    If you have ever read Whitetail magazine, perused Sports Illustrated, Newsweek, Time, or the Cabelas catalog, the printing plates for those publications are exposed on our equipment.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:01:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gaweidert:
Only problems were with the new mags I got form Cheaper Than Dirt..    

Told you not to buy those crap mags, but did you listen? noooooooo of course not.

Glad you like your Oly. I like mine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:34:46 PM EDT
Muchos Congrats,, I got my k3b from oly's retail outlet,3 weeks ago i live like 30 mins away, and i am very impressed with it,, not nearly as bad as the haters would have you beleive,, it is now my # 1 range special, shoots nice and tight groups, and contrary to what some say thier customer service is great and they stand behind thier product!
Top Top