Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/10/2005 9:14:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2005 10:38:15 PM EDT by goodoleboy]
Any unbiased opinons on olympic arms plinker plus rifle? This rifle has the forged reciever bay lug, and flash suppresor. Im not a heavy use shooter maybe 100-500 or even 1000 rounds a year for plinking..
I might a buy scope that can use both iron sights and scope at the same time.How much would a scope setup be for this rifle? Im not looking to put alot money into this rifle so Budget minded items recommendations would be great.

thanks

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:26:01 PM EDT
It should certainly stand up to that kind of abuse
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:32:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By luckypunk:
It should certainly stand up to that kind of abuse

I would think so too.

I think they also come with a Lifetime Warrantee.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:59:05 AM EDT
regardless of what some of the kool-aid drinkers will tell you the oly pp is a great rifle.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:31:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:13:52 AM EDT
Not for my money. I saw the barrel seperate from the receiver on one.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:21:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 7:22:48 AM EDT by Variablebinary]
My Oly has taken more abuse than any of my AR's and it's held up strong, never a jam, FTE or anything. And I'm taken hard living here: dropped on rocks and sand, used a walking stick, hammer to stake tents, rained on, and everything

Blemishes: few
Function: perfect
Accuracy: 1.5MOA at 150 yards with irons after 5000+ rounds or so

I have the CAR97-M4, which isnt the PP, but I'm sure it will serve you just as well
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:40:33 AM EDT
JUST SAY NO. Oly quality sucks. Other than Hesse, I believe OLY quality to be the worst available. But to make up for thier quality problems, they have trained their customer service reps to be worthless.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:43:46 AM EDT
Oly Arms are good rifles I have had 2 of them still have 1 left... for some reason some people don't like them here like Team member markm he has a problem with them and not sure why.... The price is right and quality is there...

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:16:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Aimless:
I'd look for a used Bushmaster/RRA/Armalite and pass on the plinker. A plinker will probably be just fine for "knocking over soda bottles once a year" but it's not, in my opinion, equal in quality to the other brands mentioned above. I'd rather have a good, used gun than a cheap, new gun.

If you do get a plinker make sure it's a "plinker plus" The older plinkers were cast, not forged, the newer production plinkers are forged (stronger).

The only Oly plinker I ever saw broke it's bolt just about the first time the guy shot it, Oly did replace the bolt.

+1 !!!! My first AR was a cast Plinker and I broke the lower receiver in front of the pin that is in front of the Buffer & spring. That gun was a $600 mistake... Thank goodness for RRA's and Bushmasters.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:34:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 8:36:00 AM EDT by _DR]
Not bad for the money.
I have an Oly that has a fairly high round count (9,000 or so) and it still works reliably. I did replace the unlined barrel with a USGI chrome-lined model, but that was because I want 1/7 twist also.

Makes an OK first AR, but as others have suggested I would still recommend saving up more and getting a Bushmaster, RRA or Stag chrome lined model. For a few hundred more, you get a lot more features that you will appreciate later. Aimless' assessment is pretty much on the money.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:36:50 AM EDT
I think this rifle will be great for your intended use. I've got an OLY that's 4 years old now. Lots of rounds and abuse and it still functions perfectly. With the lifetime warrantee you can't really go wrong. It's not a PP so I can't attest to that model but as far as Oly quality goes, they are very underrated by most here.

Yes, you may hear from a few people that had problems with an Oly that they bought. I know several people who bought Bushies and had to send them back for repairs/replacement shortly after their purchase. Doesn't necessarily mean that the product is "junk". I personally know a few other guys that have Olys that are very satisfied with thier rilfes as well (they are also very hard on thier rifles). I would suggest looking around and handling several different brands and pick what you like best for the money. For your intended use I'm not sure that spending an extra few hundred dollars will be worth it. After you get your rilfe you will still need to get extra mags, ammo and optics. It adds up really quickly.

Good luck with your purchase.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:34:24 PM EDT
I've got an Oly K4B, 20"A2 rifle that's been great, it was $200 less than an identical Bushmaster at a gun show a buddy of mine and I went to. I bought the Oly and he bought the Bushy. I've yet to see any significant difference between the two (well, to be honest the Oly has a little "shake" between the upper and lower and the Bushy doesn't but the Oly is also slightly more accurate). I've had it for about a year now and have probably put a couple of thousand rounds though it, some WWB and XM193, but mostly Wolf and Silver Bear. I've never had a single malfunction of any kind and the gun is the most accurate AR of the three I own. Fit and finish is well above average. One of my other AR's has an Oly FIRSH floating handguard, bolt, bolt carrier, folding stock and charging handle. I've had not a single problem with those Oly parts either. Recently my buddy bought another AR, this time he bought an Oly K3B carbine and it's as nice as my K4B rifle.

I'm willing to believe that Oly made some crappy stuff at one time, but I sure don't see it in any product they've made in the last couple of years. If my Oly is crappy then someone will have to explain to me just how that is, cause I've compared it side by side to several other "premium" brands and it makes a good showing every time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:42:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 4:48:40 PM EDT by _DR]

Originally Posted By 3rdpig:

(well, to be honest the Oly has a little "shake" between the upper and lower and the Bushy doesn't but the Oly is also slightly more accurate).

The "shake" or looseness between receivers you speak of is normal. My Colt LE carbine has some slack, as does my DPMS and Stag carbine. I have had plenty of M16s issued to me in the service that had some looseness, some new ones as well. It's normal. Many who are not familiar with the AR15/M16 platform believe this to be a deficiency and want tight receivers because most civilian rifles are "tight". In fact, some looseness between the receivers is normal, don't count this as a negative.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:45:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:03:25 PM EDT
Don't know if it makes any difference to the original poster, but you should know the Plinker(Plus) uses the older A1 style sighting system on the rear sight.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:09:51 PM EDT
Oly is pure junk. Tomorrow when I get to my other PC I'll post a quote from a dealer on this site that sums up OLY's Shitty quality, and even Shittier attitude on customer service.

Would you buy a YUGO just because you only drove 1000 miles per year? FUCK NO!

So why would you waste money on an OLY? I know money is tight for everyone, but no one here has ever regreted spending the EXTRA money to get a rifle from a Decent Manufacturer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:21:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:24:35 PM EDT
You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:36:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 7:38:45 PM EDT by WIgunnut]
My very first AR during the AWB was a All Cast Oly Plinker
It has seen plenty of ammunition and is the only AR I own that I can bumpfire all 30rnds every time
If I knew then what I know now, I probably wouldnt have purchased it due to the much higher quality offerings available.
My best friend put some money towards it as a wedding present for me.

So Id have to say this if the PLinker plus is in the $650 area youd be better off spending a little bit more and getting something real nice

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:11:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 11:13:18 PM EDT by gmtmaster]

Originally Posted By ldawg:
JUST SAY NO. Oly quality sucks. Other than Hesse, I believe OLY quality to be the worst available. But to make up for thier quality problems, they have trained their customer service reps to be worthless.

I have an Oly and I really like it.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:31:59 PM EDT
Wow! Some pretty strong opinions.

I think Oly made some pretty good stuff in the early 90's, got hurt after that by The Ban and The Fire and The Competition. They floundered for several years.

The rifles I've seen from the last year or so compare very well with anything Bushie or other good companies make; very, very nice. They are trying very hard to get back to the top in the game. The next couple of years will tell.

There are some who will tell you that only "Colt" or other companies make worthwhile rifles. Not true. Having said that, there are some that are more proven than others and while Colt fits the bill, Oly has yet to make the cut. I would go on a rifle by rifle basis right now.

BTW, I have a 1994 Oly PCR SUM 1:10 that has been very reliable and delivers sub 1/2" groups consistently. It has an early forged receiver and is a little rough but very good overall.

I am also happy with my RRA, and Pre ban Colt CAR.

The AR has changed a lot over the past 10 years or so and each rifle should be considered on a case by case basis, even Colts. I have seen some slapped together rifles from Colt lately, and some with their usual quality. PS They don't sell to "civilians." Thus my transferred loyalty to RRA.

Regards,

Rick
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:36:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Clayfish:
regardless of what some of the kool-aid drinkers will tell you the oly pp is a great rifle.

Notice that it's not the kool-aid drinkers in this thread trashing Oly

My one and only Olympic was a well made, dependable rifle. It must have been one that ARF.com staffer Tweak put together That being said, mine wasn't a plinker plus-and it had a forged receiver.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:19:58 AM EDT
My first AR was a forged Oly . I beat that gun
like an unruly step child and the only part
that wore out was the bolt cross pin and that
was around 20,000 rounds .

Here is something you may find interesting from
the oly website :

Ser # V0001 - V0716 , 12/02/1986 to 10/01/1987
These receivers were manufactured
for Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:37:47 AM EDT
Put this in your OLYMPIC ARMS CRACK PIPE and SMOKE IT!

Originally Posted By Banzai:

I USED TO SELL OLYMPICS.

I also stock Colts, BM, RRA, and AR.
Wanna know what the #1 most repaired AR15 in my shop is? OLYMPIC.
I don't sell them anymore.
Wanna know what the most repaired AR15 in my store is now? Still the OLYMPIC.
Wanna know what I've had to send Olys back for? You name it.
Wanna know how hard it is to get repair parts/replacement parts/financial reimbursement for shipping NEW guns back to OLY for warranty work as a gun dealer? IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!

Several distributors have even stopped carrying Olympic rifles because of the high reject rate once they get to the dealers.

They might, sometimes, take care of the individual owner, but as a dealer, I believe that they have a black list, and if you're on it, you're screwed.

I've actually had OLY on the phone with a customer in my shop, and they have actually told the guy that there was nothing wrong, and if he shipped it back, they would not fix it. The rifle had a broken bolt. Sheared off 2 lugs, broke at the cam pin hole, and damaged the bolt carrier.

I fixed it, with BM parts that were available to me at the time. I sent the bill to OLY, never got a response. Sold the debt off to a collection agency, along with all the other repairs that I had to do on OLY guns. Now, if an OLY comes in for repair, I advise the individual that it will cost them an open ended amount and get them to sign the estimate before I'll even touch it.

SHOT show 2002 I took them a box of the parts that I had replaced from their guns that I could not get reimbursement for.

I'll guarntee I've owned/handled/shot more OLYs since 1999 than you ever will, unless you work at Oly or a gun store.

There is, at best 15% profit in retail guns. Olys eat up my 15% on repair parts/shipping/gunsmith time almost as soon as they get unpacked. No more!

Now, about their issues, still "Pretty sure they have been resolved by now" ?????

Or is my post worthless, too?

Tom

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:54:56 AM EDT
my friend really enjoys his - however he does not "tear it up" as much as me and my other friends
all forged 1/9 barrel (non-chrome). Fit and finish were online with our Colts/BM/DPMS
shoots as good as as the shooter

i'd say that for the price of the complete rifle, it is a good starter.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:26:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By markm:
Put this in your OLYMPIC ARMS CRACK PIPE and SMOKE IT!

Originally Posted By Banzai:

I USED TO SELL OLYMPICS.

I also stock Colts, BM, RRA, and AR.
Wanna know what the #1 most repaired AR15 in my shop is? OLYMPIC.
I don't sell them anymore.
Wanna know what the most repaired AR15 in my store is now? Still the OLYMPIC.
Wanna know what I've had to send Olys back for? You name it.
Wanna know how hard it is to get repair parts/replacement parts/financial reimbursement for shipping NEW guns back to OLY for warranty work as a gun dealer? IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!

Several distributors have even stopped carrying Olympic rifles because of the high reject rate once they get to the dealers.

They might, sometimes, take care of the individual owner, but as a dealer, I believe that they have a black list, and if you're on it, you're screwed.

I've actually had OLY on the phone with a customer in my shop, and they have actually told the guy that there was nothing wrong, and if he shipped it back, they would not fix it. The rifle had a broken bolt. Sheared off 2 lugs, broke at the cam pin hole, and damaged the bolt carrier.

I fixed it, with BM parts that were available to me at the time. I sent the bill to OLY, never got a response. Sold the debt off to a collection agency, along with all the other repairs that I had to do on OLY guns. Now, if an OLY comes in for repair, I advise the individual that it will cost them an open ended amount and get them to sign the estimate before I'll even touch it.

SHOT show 2002 I took them a box of the parts that I had replaced from their guns that I could not get reimbursement for.

I'll guarntee I've owned/handled/shot more OLYs since 1999 than you ever will, unless you work at Oly or a gun store.

There is, at best 15% profit in retail guns. Olys eat up my 15% on repair parts/shipping/gunsmith time almost as soon as they get unpacked. No more!

Now, about their issues, still "Pretty sure they have been resolved by now" ?????

Or is my post worthless, too?

Tom

Smoked it... Sorry no buzz.. I still like Oly.
Top Top