Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2004 7:32:24 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I have the chance to buy an Oly Arms PCR01 with serial number KX88**  for 600 dollars... do you think this is a decent deal or not, and is it a forged receiver?  I know plenty about bushys, RRAs, and Colts, but I can't figure this little bugger out as I am not familiar with them... thanks for any help you might give... Later
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The PCR1 is very accurate, but I would want to shoot and make sure it is still sub moa and reliable before forking over any hard earned cash on a used rifle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Your rifle was made between 07/20/2001 and 04/03/2002. This means it was built on CNC machines after the fire. These are normally fairly high quality. Its comes with a well tuned trigger, probably not as good as some of the aftermarket ones, but better than average. The PCR1 is an accurate rifle, some shoot a quarter of an inch. This is a pretty good deal. BTW, it is a forged receiver. If you want a precision AR, and dont need all the bling, go for it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Its a buddy of mines and I have seen groups that it shoots... it is super accurate, but I am wanting to also put a 16 inch upper on it and I am wanting to make sure that it is a forged receiver (which I THINK it is but am not positive) so that I can have a good base of a gun to have a 20" coyote gun and a 16" shits and giggles gun on.  the way it is set up now its just a standard PCR -01 with a bayo lug and vortex on.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the reply Combat Jack... just what I was wanting to know, the only other thing was I don't have the original bolt and bolt carrier, but when my buddy had it I don't think he was using the original to get the groups that he was getting, so is there anything I should look for in a bolt that would apply other than high quality?  I really appreciate the quick answers by the way as this is a time sensitive issue...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Check Olympics website.  They have a section on how to tell a forged from cast reciever by looking at it.  I'm pretty sure all their PRC-1's are forged.  Only their Plinkers are cast.  And even those are forged now.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#6]
For your purposes, I think you ought to just get an Olympic bolt and carrier. LMT or Colt would be better, but as this is more of a precision gun and not a self defense gun, you probably wont use it as hard or be in as much danger should it fail.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Recent Oly bolts should all be fine, but any bolt will work.  The PCR 1 should work well for you.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Is it a PCR1 or does it say PCR01 on the lower?  $600 for a PCR1(ff, SUM bbl and set trigger) is a damn good deal.
PCR01 just means that the lower was manufactured in 2001.  Then it would depend on how it is set up.  Type of bbl, sights, hand gaurds, etc..
If it's anything more than a standard configuration, then it still wouldn't be a bad deal.

Steve
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#10]
It says PCR01 on the receiver and it has the free floated barrel with the aluminum tube upper.  The Barrel says SUM 556 and the gas block is just the tube and no a frame or weaver rail on it except it has a bayo lug on the bottom.  the upper also has a slightly elevated flat top. The gun has one of the open front vortexs on it .  I did manage to find that part of Olys website and it is obviously a forged receiver.  its also in pretty good condition and has a nice trigger but the safety is a little "sloppy/gritty" feeling.  I think my buddy said it has about 2k rounds through it.  would a RRA star safety clean up the safety a bit and drop right in with the trigger as the trigger has a weird rod that the safety contacts to make the gun safe?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Does the barrel say SUM on it? And how did he get preban features on a PCR, did he have them installed or what?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top