Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2003 6:38:33 AM EDT
I see that Oly has a lower that has a "Max Hard" coating or something. Is that any better than any other company's forged lower? I'm wondering if it's nothing really that special, but just a marketing ploy and something that all forged lowers have, just that not all company's advertize it. So is it worth it to get?

I noticed that DPMS has a teflon coating and others don't say that. Any other suggestions on which lower I should buy for a first time builder? Help me figure out which one I shoud buy. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#1]
The Max-Hard coating is probably over kill, but it certainly is nice.  It is not something that other lowers have.  If you are familiar with Tennifer, it is similar, but on Aluminum.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:37:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Please be careful. I know it is samantics, but Maxhard os not a coating. It is a hardening process that is surface penetrating, not a surface coating. I agree though, for the average Joe, not a big deal. But for on e who wants to build a match gun and install a $300 trigger, or retail that new tight fit, Maxhard is the way to go. The Army has been testing this Maxhard flat top uppers for the M4's that have been "ovaling" at the mouth. It has solved their problem, but it is always hard to get DoD to bite of on new technology.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:49:51 PM EDT
[#3]
It is a coating in the same way that Tennifer is, in that it extends several microns into the surface.  I understand the difference, and I sure you do as well.  Is it a coating in every sense, no.  Does it harden only the outer surface, yes.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top