Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/13/2004 8:02:39 PM EDT
Saw an Olympic Arms today thta was called the Plinker II that has a forged receiver.  What is a good price for one?  

Would love ot hear the pro's and con's of the Olympic line.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine has been a very reliable rifle, but I changed out the barrel for a chrome-lined one, didn't care for the unlined barrel, just not resistant enough to corrosion. other than that, no problems.

Not the best, but not the worst either.

Plinker should be about $599. I paid $699 for my PCR7 Dissy.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
sumoj275,...i picked up one of the first model plinkers about a year or so ago..At that time the plinker was Cast upper and lower receiver and A1 sights.... finish wasnt that bad and the price was decent, i havent had any problems with it exept for having to smooth out the feedramps due to a few burs. i have a bunch of rnds through it and she hasnt failed me..Olympic got a bad rap long ago and some still dont like em much less endorse anything from them. Personally id possibley buy from them again..this time maybe a carbine in .45acp..Anyhow i think the new plinker II is about $600 give or take.Totally up to you but look around,(equipment exchange always has tons of great stuff) you can put one together with the options of your choice for about the same price OR add another $200 and get yourself something of another make completehmaster,Colt,RRA,
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The Plinker model is their "low" end, no bells and whisltes carbine.  I wouldn't buy one, but not because it's an Oly.  I have an Oly (PCR-5) and absolutely love it.

However, the plinker is very low priced.  If thats all you can afford, it's better then nothing.  I would however recommend saving for another model.

Rob
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Great rifles, except the plinker.

The Plinker is the 'Kia' of AR-15s, it is designed to serve the cheapest-rifle-possible market-segment, something none of the other major makers even bother with...

Get a PCR series rifle, and you'll get a gun that is AT LEAST equal (in some cases better) than any of the other makers.

While they don't chrome-line, they do offer stainless steel if you're concerned about corrosion...

You can build your own Oly PCR-series 20" rifle for around $580, less if you want a carbine-length rifle...
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#5]
THe plinker was a very low cost rifle with all the pitfalls that come with a cast reciever.  You are talking about the new plinker with a standard forged reciever.  I have an Olympic AR and a seperate Olympic Upper.  I have been extremely satisfied with bot of them.  Very accurate and totally reliable.  I would not hesitate to buy another Olympic and I would think that their new Plinker should be a fine entry level AR.  I would prefer one with a flat top upper, but as is it should be a good buy, and that seems to be a decent price.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#6]
The new one with the forged receivers should be a decent rifle. Avoid the cast one - had one of those and the fit and finish was piss poor.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:34:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Save a little more money and get a OLY PCR.

I have both a Olympic PCR-5 and a LTM4, have had zero problems. Next on my list is a OLY PCR-8.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:53:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the CAR97-M4A2. Not a single problem...... Olympic Arms makes quality products. Everyone is right though. Save a up for a PCR rifle and get some A2 sights if you are on a budget
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:27:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I helped my son build a PCR-4 about 2 years ago. Between the upper kit direct from Oly and a forged stripped Oly lower from our local dealer, it came to about $600. She went together in under  two hours using the lower assembly instructions here on AR15.com. Added a couple of USGI mags and he was good to go.

Rifle has over 6,000 rds thru it, hasn't skipped a beat in 2 years, and is very accurate.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:38:49 AM EDT
[#10]
My experiences are a third of the way down the page.

Not good.  I wouldn't touch their bottom-of-the-line model with your 10-foot pole.

Glenn R.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:21:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I loved my PCR16, Had to trade it due to a deal i could not pass up. I traded for a Armalite AR10 A2, new in box... SWEET DEAL.  I will own another Oly.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I own a couple of their products and have never had any problems. Just make sure you buy the forged products and not the cast products. Also they have a lifetime warranty.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top