Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 10:00:16 AM EDT
Hey guys,

Is the plinker an ok rifle? Do you guys think it would be ok as a first AR-15 rifle to use to hunt coyotes? Will it accept a standard rifle scope? Thanks in advance.

Harley
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:00:56 AM EDT
The original Plinker sucked because it had cast uppers & lowers. The newer Plinker plus has forged uppers & lowers though. They come with A1 sights & do not have chrome lined barrels otherwise they are ok if you don't plan on mounting optics.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:14:15 PM EDT
jt352i -

Thanks for the info. Can the A1 sights be removed or replaced later? Do you think a barrel thats not chromed lined would be an accurate long lasting (hunting) rifle out to 300 yards, if taken care of? So is it NOT possible to mount a regualr scope on one of these? Can you tell me why it won't mount that way I will know what uppers to stay away from when I am looking for my rifle or kit?

Thanks a lot, this has held me out. I am determined to build me one of these AR's. I am trying to make every extra dollar I can to help me get the money by Saturday for the Indianoplis gun hsow.

Harley
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:37:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2005 3:39:07 PM EDT by Boom_Stick]

Originally Posted By harley72:
jt352i -

Thanks for the info. Can the A1 sights be removed or replaced later?
No. The A1 sights are part of the upper.
Do you think a barrel thats not chromed lined would be an accurate long lasting (hunting) rifle out to 300 yards, if taken care of? Sure, but the chrome lined barrel will outlast a non-chromelined barrel, but both will go many thousands of rounds. Standard 4140 steel is just fine though
So is it NOT possible to mount a regualr scope on one of these? You can mount a scope to the carry handle but it will sit above the iron sights. A flattop (A3) is better for mounting optics

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:45:11 PM EDT
Hey thanks a bucnh for that info. I am finally starting to learn some stuff. Sounds like I need an A3 upper and I need to find a complete A3 upper with no sights or atleast removable, a 20" barrel and I am yet to figure out what all the forstocks are so I don't know about that yet. I think I like the standard A2 butt and the pistol grip that has the more round fat bottom. As soon as I find out what the names of the different parts are I will be able to hunt for my parts. I would really like to just find a complete upper with 20" barrel and bolt and then build my lower. Any advice guys?

Thanks

Harley
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:52:31 PM EDT
My first AR was an Oly plinker. Olympic getsa bad rap from a lot a people. Theres nothing about this gun that I have to complain about, never had any big problems with it yet. I would suggest visiting www.model1sales.com. A kit might be the way to go. Choose what you want, get what you pay for. You can buy a receiver of your chooosing and assemble a rifle built to your needs for a price comparable to the Plinker.
Top Top