Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/11/2006 7:56:58 PM EDT
I was wandering the local pawnshops today and I saw a new-ish looking postban configured Olympic Arms 16" carbine in 7.62x39 for $600.   I have always sorta wanted a 7.62x39 AR, and they aren't real common around here.  I have a .223 oly carbine that I love, and have had no problems with [unless you count it eating gas rings].

How does the  7.62x39 shoot in an AR?  I have had AK's and SKS's before, but only .223 ar's.  
I know OLY dosen't have the best rep on the board, but I like mine so for that part I think I am willing to give it a shot.
Are there any known problems with 7.62x39 ar's?  
What about magazines?  
Ammo problems/restrictions?

I'm on the fence here, convince me...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Barry, my father used to have a Colt in that caliber, 16". Shot anything you wanted to feed it, relatively accurate. All the mags that were with it worked. Mags are the weak link with this combo, the best are "frankenmags", AR in the magwell welded to AK mags. Can't help ya on Oly's though.

Nick
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The mag issue is the biggest problem and that was mentioned already.  The bolt is the same, just milled out a little larger on the face for the larger 7.62x39 case to fit.  Unfortunately that means that you might break a lug a little more often.  Other than those two things (and maybe all the razzing you will get for not having a 'real' AR) I can't think of a reason not to get one.  Maybe another would be that the variety of loadings for 7.62x39 will not be as good as 5.56, but the ammo is cheaper that 5.56 (or at least it used to be until the latter part of 2005 when it started becoming scarce online).  I don't see it as ever replacing a traditional AR, but they are fun to shoot and if you just have to take an AR hunting then you can do it legally with the 7.62x39 upper.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:54:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, I have to admit, this will be #5...

I have an oly CAR15, a RRA 18", a RRA NM 20" and a BAR-10 already.  I also have a RomAK and plenty of 7.62x39..    I was just looking at it cause it's odd...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top