Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2010 6:17:09 PM EDT
hey guys i've been a AK fan for a long time,  but lately i have been wanting a AR to add to my stock pile.  I have the chance to pick up a new Olympic arms plinker for $629.  what are your guys thoughts on this.  I tried to do a search but i could only go back 30 days.  If i want this i have to leave at 6 am tomorrow morning so i can be at the store before they head to the gun show.  they also have a DPMS sportical for 659.

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I would take just about anything over the oly. The DPMS would be a better rifle then the oly. That being said, I've owned a couple of olys and haven't had any issues with them, but alot of other people have. Enough to make me think twice before getting another one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I've come across two of them, both purchased by friends who didn't know much about guns and didn't research their purchase. They (the guns) were both craptastic.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Well worth spending the extra 30 bucks for the DPMS
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#5]
dpms would be the better choice...BUT, after spending another $100 on sights (if it's the one I'm looking at on dpms website) you could just get this

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=113&products_id=387

after arfcom 5% off code, comes to about $750
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I currently own one.  Yes, it's true.  I bought it during the Obama scare for an unbelieveable price and figured WTF.  I was not impressed.  Decent exterior fit/finish, but the BCG was ROUGH, staking looked like it was done by a monkey with a screwdriver and his palm, the M4 feed-ramps looked like the same monkey dremeled them in, the FSB was off-center and the machining looked unfinished, or the tooling was worn-out.  After a couple range trips with sporatic FTE's and double-feeds, I took it home, stripped it down and de-burred, dremeled and polished everything.  After that, it ran pretty good.

In my opinion, in today's market, I'd NEVER buy another one.  There are too many other AR's out there offering a FAR better product at approximately the same price point as the Oly Arms.  You can get a LOT more gun for your money, like the current offerings by Spikes and M&P.  Personally, I'd go for the Spikes ST-15 M4 LE.  For a little over $100 bucks more, you're getting a real, SERIOUS AR-15.  The Oly "Plinker" things are as basic as you can get.  A1 upper (forget optics), fixed A2 stock, "long life bore"?, etc.  You can get better parts for less money with a Del-Ton kit.

Just my opinion, though.  If you like it, buy it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#7]
ok  now if i go with the DPMS Sportical.  is it going to be a problem that it doesnt have a Shell deflector, forward assist, and a Dust cover?   only have 6 hours till i have to make up my mind.   i looked at the spike but the wife aka gun control,  said i cant spend that much for the gun even though i explained that if i bough the DPMS i would have to buy a scope.  how some women minds work i'll never know.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Do not get an Oly.  You'll thank us later.

My advice would be to wait and save up a little more money to get an RRA, Bushmaster, or S&W.

Or, save up a tad more, and get a Colt of course.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:40:10 AM EDT
[#9]
oly owner here... I know its a little later for your request but wanted to give my 2 cents.

model is the PCR (or pollitically correct rifle) 16 inch heavy barrel.
this part makes a big difference from what I have heard...is when the rifle was made...mine was made in 03 so a lot of the issues and problems were a thing of the past.
from what I gathered the earlier olympic rifles were junk! all kinds of problems etc..plus crappy customer service and major quality control issues.
nowadays I think they are getting better. most would agree that their barrels are some of the best out there.

so with that being said. I bought mine like a lot of buyers when the O got elected I didn't know that much about the AR's back then plus this was the only one I could find on the shelf around here that wasn't jacked up to 2 grand! (rock river's at the closest shop were 1800 and his colts were 2000!!! and you know what I have not gone bcak to that shop in almost 2 years!)
I bought it, shot the hell out of it, changed a few things on it( had to make it tacticool), love it! put a couple hundred rounds thru it and havn't had any issues with it what so ever...
only issue I have ever had was with the adjustable trigger (jard brand) it was too light for me so I switched it out for a dpms kit. I did put a flat top upper on it for a scope.

If given the choice between the DPMS and Oly I would probably choose the DPMS and if there is only a few dollars difference between them you could probably talk the owner down to the same price.

dont get me wrong I love my olympic but thats only because mine has run flawless..and if I had known back then about their reputation I would not have bought it..do I regret it nope!

another thing you want to consider is resale...you will have a harder time re-selling the oly vs. the DPMS..
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:01:07 AM EDT
[#10]
The poster above is the first time I have ever heard that an oly actually runs fine.  I'd go with something else if I were you.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:06:40 AM EDT
[#11]
had a bad experience with an Oly barrel. i would stay away.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#12]
If you want a SHTF M4

Save your money and buy

Noveske N4
Colt 6920/6921or LMT M4
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:44:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The only good thing about an Oly is it's barrel. Explain yourself.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#14]
The market is flooded with EBRs. Take some time and look around,you can find better than the plinker for that amount or slightly less.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Isn't Olympic arms now owned byt Armilite???? In my book it's not about looks.... it's in the function.

Impala
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#16]
For that price range, I would recommend an Del-Ton kit and getting a stripped lower and putting it together.  You would not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Isn't Olympic arms now owned byt Armilite???? In my book it's not about looks.... it's in the function.

Impala

Thats the first I have heard that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I have several Oly AR's...all are very nice rifles with no problems...Oly is NOT in any way with Armalite or any other co.  Their customer service has also exceeded my expectations, I will buy more of them and shoot them proudly...as well as my DPMS rifles....as a matter of fact, I think I will run my K3B in a 3 gun shoot tomorrow morn..you all have just inspired me!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I have one recent production Olympic 16" medium barrel, carbine hand guards & gas system length, with A1 rear sight and standard front sight, and I like it a lot. Accurate, reliable, excellent fit and finish, and not expensive at all. I added an EMOD stock, Hogue pistol grip, Trijicon rear aperture, and TruGlo TFO front sight. Very nice, light, handy, reliable, and accurate carbine.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#20]
as good as a Colt

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The poster above is the first time I have ever heard that an oly actually runs fine.  I'd go with something else if I were you.

Mine runs great.  Thousands of rounds through it.  Of course it was purchased in '90 or '91.

J
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
...   i looked at the spike but the wife aka gun control,  said i cant spend that much for the gun even though i explained that if i bough the DPMS i would have to buy a scope.  how some women minds work i'll never know.

Here's the proper technique for dealing with this:

1. Buy a better/more expensive gun.

2. Lie to the wife about the cost.

3. Destroy or hide all evidence (reciepts, tags,  etc)

4. Live happily ever after with happy wife (ignorance is bliss)  and good rifle!

Thats what I always do...    

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...   i looked at the spike but the wife aka gun control,  said i cant spend that much for the gun even though i explained that if i bough the DPMS i would have to buy a scope.  how some women minds work i'll never know.

Here's the proper technique for dealing with this:

1. Buy a better/more expensive gun.

2. Lie to the wife about the cost. Just don't tell wife what it cost.

3. Destroy or hide all evidence (reciepts, tags,  etc)

4. Live happily ever after with happy wife (ignorance is bliss)  and good rifle!

Thats what I always do...    

Fixed it for you. I don't lie to my wife I just don't talk about it to her.
My wife has no idea how many ARs are in our house or how many firearms I own, period.
I would never ask her permission to buy anything and I wouldn't expect her to ask my permission if
she wanted something.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#24]
let us know what you purchased and a pic w/ range report

welcome to the BRD
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#25]
That's too high a price for a plinker.  Some dealers will seel you oly's top of the line
k4m3b or similar for same price.  I owned one of these, it was ok for $600 ar.  I wouldn't buy a plinker, period.  You'd be better off slapping a delton kit on an $80 dollar lower.  You can achieve same quality as oly at home with no tools.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I've had an Oly for about a year and a half and haven't had any problems, not even a FTF or FTE. Granted, mine was built by a guy that works there, so I don't know if that matters. Paid about a grand for it and so far it's been great. But they seem to have a bad rap around here. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Sorry guys that it took so long to get back to here.  I got up at 5am this morning so i could be out the door by 6am.  9am i was still sitting here looking at reviews on both rifles.  Called up my local gunsmith and asked his thoughts.  He told him that he has seen every brand come in for problems.  He also gave me some insight on the rifles.  most of the forging for these rifles i think he said the lower recivers, is done about 20 mins from where i live.  to name a few colt, bushmaster, dpms, del-ton and there were some others too.  Anyways  i asked him out of the 2 i was looking, which one he would get.  He said in that price range he would go with the DPMS over the oly.  i trust is opinion b/c i've spent a lot of time in his shop and has yet to let me down.  so i spent the rest of the day hunting for the panther.  Most have called 60 stores with n the state only to find it a mom and pop gun store that only stocks hunting rifles,  they said they had a guy come in last month and order 1 and they went ahead and ordered 2.  it was sitting in the back room since 8-24-10.  they said they just havent gotting around to putting it on display.  i got it for a good price and there threw in a box of Remington ammo in with the deal.   I'll be taking it to the range tomorrow,  just finished lubin everything up and putting a scope that i had on one of my AK's.

I will keep you guys posted on the range report.

href=http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae324/sealpup31/th_200.jpg" />
href=http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae324/sealpup31/th_202.jpg" />
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Place I work used to sell Oly's all the time.  They rarely came back with issues.  One thing my boss DID have happen a lot was that people would bring an Oly in for warranty repairs, then my boss would call Oly to setup the shipping and everything.  Oly would then tell him the gun he's calling on was sold as a stripped receiver––not a complete gun.  He said this happened a few times.

He doesn't stock Oly anymore––mostly because of the reputation.  He'll sell the parts, and he'll order a gun if a customer wants it, but he won't stock them anymore.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't buy one.  I'd save until I could get a decent gun.  (And I realize the OP has already purchased the DPMS––this is just a general response.)
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:21:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Just my .02 Too much drama with the Olympic.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I have never had a bad experiance with an Olympic barrel or rifle. I own several and have sold more thatn I can count.
Actually I just ordered a new 20" Ultramatch broach cut bull barrel upper receiver assembly from them. In my opinion their broach cut barrels are some of the most accurate out there.
Oly guarantees .5 MOA at 100yds with their Ultramatch rifles, and I have never owned one that didn't live up to that claim.
I know that my oly (1999) Ultramatch will out shoot my LaRue stealth, and the whole Oly rifle cost less than the LaRue upper.
I also have no doubt that this new barrel will give me great accuracy. I have faith in the brand and will continue to have that faith until I experience what some of the othere here have.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#31]
stay away from Oly's...our dept. has a few and they all suck.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:44:25 AM EDT
[#32]
avoid olympic. their barrels are ok but the complete rifles are not.
had to remove an lapped key to bolt carrier and ejector spring is short by 3 coils. had to change it
before it finally ran reliably. then just sold it after around 2K rounds.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:06:34 AM EDT
[#33]
and that guy from olympic, tom spit...something(forgot his last name) will not admit about
their rifles' defects. he will just say that they"make everything up to spec". i suggest you just uiol your
own rifle
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a couple that work like a charm.  Oly barrels = accurate.  I wouldn't relly on their BCG for a hard charging gun, though.  Change the BCG and you should have a decent defense gun.

Their castle nuts are not staked - at least use blue loctite if you are going to use it as a defense gun.  I find that the mag well on both guns to be very tight for 20 rounder Colts (won't drop free).

But after you upgrade the gun with a new BCG, then you'll spend just as much money as getting an RRA or a Spike.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:24:41 AM EDT
[#35]
My first AR was an Oly K3BM4. I put a few thousand rounds through it with no problem. I was sent to Blackwater's (name at the time) HRT/HRW school and took it along just in case my duty Colt went down. Didn't have any problems with my duty weapon but another guy's carbine went down and I lent it to him. It was on the second day of a five day class and he ran it the rest of the week. We shot frang and ball during the class and he had absolutely no problems.  Other than keeping it lubed and punching the barrel he didn't clean it till the end of the class. Figure about 1500 rounds over a 4 day period. Also I have no idea what his duty carbine was so no bashing on any particular brand here. I put over 2000 rounds through my duty Colt and cleaned it twice. Before the class and after the class. Did keep it lubed and punched the bore every night though.

P.S. if you go to BW/USTC always take an extra 1000 rds. of rifle and an extra 500 rds. of pistol. You will definitley go well past what they list on their equipment check list. Awesome training though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:38:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
dpms would be the better choice...BUT, after spending another $100 on sights (if it's the one I'm looking at on dpms website) you could just get this

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=113&products_id=387

after arfcom 5% off code, comes to about $750

Yes, go with the Spikes.  If you order today and enter the coupon code mil-spec, you get 10% off.  But the sale ends today.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#37]
My first AR was an Oly PCR carbine.  I've had it for 11 years now and it's been great.  But with that said, there have been more than enough reports from others to indicate that Oly quality is a crapshoot, and it's just smart to spend money on a better rifle.  Let's put it this way:  despite my good experience with one, I wouldn't buy another.  Aren't the S&W carbines super cheap these days?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#38]
I picked one up from a friend for $400 dollars about five years ago. It ran fine but it had a heavy barrel on it. I sold it to a buddy of mine. He had the barrel profiled and shortened. he shoots the hell out of it. It still runs great.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only good thing about an Oly is it's barrel. Explain yourself.

chamber was just a little to big and would leave a bulge at the bottom of the brass kinda like a glock does. It didn't matter the ammo brass or steel cased it did it to every piece, which really sucks when you reload.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#40]
24 year old Oly here. Best gun I own.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#41]
My 1st was an Oly.  Horrible rifle.  Couldn't make it thru a whole mag with out jamming.  Finally gave up sold it at a loss.  Now I run a BCM and will never look back.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
24 year old Oly here. Best gun I own.

+1 my Oly's are my favorite AR's, yes better than my old issue Colt!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:16:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Seems to be 2 extremes here, kind of weird.  Either it's the "worst rifle ever" or it's "best rifle I own."  No middle ground.  hmmmm.  Not sure what to take from that except bad QC at the factory?  Sounds like when they are at the top of their game they are good, but when they aren't, they pretty much are crap.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#44]
A friend of mine has an Oly Arms AR. He's had it for many years....basically as long as I have known him. He's had good experiences with his. That being said, he is the only person I know who owns one. I've run across a couple other guys who have them, but never got the chance to chat about it. Apparently Oly makes some really good barrels. I thought Oly made some really nice ARs based on my friend's experience with his gun. And I was interested in getting one, just because they are a local firm. After digging a bit,  I've found they have an iffy rep for their rifles, but a solid rep for their 1911 pistols. I think those are made with different production facilities and gunsmiths.

I can't bad mouth them too much, as I have no other direct experience with the maker, except for my friend's one rifle. Any good maker can turn out a bad gun from time to time. Conversely, even a junk gun manufacturer can turn out a gem every once and a while.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#45]
I have had no complaints about my Oly's over the past 14 years. My Super Ultramatch is the most accurate rifle I own. It outshoots rifles that cost 3 times as much. Nothing but faith in OLY's barrels.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#47]
OLympic's are bottom of the barrel.As far as the good ones,even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#48]
I have an Oly k16 and in stock condition there have been zero issues after about 500 rds, I recently have gone through an entire overhaul with it though and basically itt is a top of the line Spike's with Oly markings and currently trigger. It was good before, now its indestructable
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top