Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 9:03:39 PM EDT
I recently purchased an Oly Arms Post Ban Plinker model AR15 from a friend who bought it several years ago and never fired it.
I have taken it to the local outdoor range three times and can honestly say that I have put approximately 1,000 rounds through it.
after the second trip and 600 rounds I noticed what appears to be slight blistering on the 4140 chrome molly barrel.
Then on the last trip out it started to rain. Needless to say, I now have rust on the barrel as well.
I have two questions.
1) Has anyone experienced the same blistering?
2) What is the best way to treat the rust in an effective manner?

And one more thing.
I have used several different types of .223 ammo and now have noticed some nicks on the finish of the upper, some deep enough to reveal the base metal.
Needless to say, I will never use the Wolf brand russian ammo.
Any way to repair the nicks and scratches?
thanking everyone in advance for all the great advice I know I will get
Joe
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:39:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Needless to say, you need to start taking better care of your weapon.  

There is no excuse for rust on the barrel.  Chips, marks, scratches and other blemishes on the receiver are fine, but rust is a big no-go.  Not to berate you, but you need to pay more attention to whats important.  After shooting, you clean, and part of that is giving care to the parts that may rust.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Oil+ steel wool works wonders.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Stickman,
I clean the rifle after every use.
I know rust is a no-go, that is why I am asking for the best solution to a problem.
I am not asking to be berated.  I am here asking for specific instructions on how to stop and repair rust on the barrel due to unexplained blistering.  Does a thousand rounds in three hours normally cause the coating on the barrel of their Oly Arms to blister and peal off? Thereby exposing the base metal and cause oxidation?
If so, can someone with experience tell me how to correct this problem?
And Again, what is the best way to effectively repair the nicks and scratches on the upper caused by ejected cartridges?
Combat_Jack, thanks for the visual.
After steel wooling the area, is there a spray on cover I can use or do I need to take it a step further and use a cover up produc that requires baking it as well?
NOTE: I had a Bushy XM15 and a RRA on the same trips to the range and the Oly is the only one having problems.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Thereby exposing the base metal and cause oxidation?

its still an issue of lack of maintenance. I carry a Sig P220 everyday as a LEO. Rain, sleet, snow or su. The bluing in about 60% gone, and the "base metal" shows more than it doesnt. Guess what? I have NEVER had rust on this gun. A little bit of oil goes a long ways.

BTW, Id just Kylon it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#6]
That humidity in IL will rust metal not well oiled.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am here asking for specific instructions on how to stop and repair rust on the barrel due to unexplained blistering.  

I don't know what is causing the blistering - talk with Oly about that.  But Breakfree CLP and a little elbow grease has always cleaned up surface rust for me.  It's also the best thing I've found to PREVENT rust.

And Again, what is the best way to effectively repair the nicks and scratches on the upper caused by ejected cartridges?

Birchwood Casey makes these 'pens' (acually more like markers) of Alumnablack.  Get the 'flat black' version.  Clean the nicks with some kind of degreaser (like alchohol), dry, then use the marker.  Works pretty good at cleaning up cosmetic scratches.

Don't worry about using Wolf ammo - jeez it's a firearm not a Hummel.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks to all. The advise is excellent!
Forrest and David Hineline, I appreciate your helpful advice the most.
Breakfree CLP worked great on the barrel and the alumnapen in flat black was worth every penny  for those scratch marks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#10]
You can also try Birchwood Casey AlumaBlack on your upper and lower....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top