Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/15/2003 12:39:44 PM EDT
I bought a Bushmaster and really like it. I have a deal that could come through but I am curious as to how good Olympics AR's are. ANy problems, any complaints, or any praise?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 12:58:47 PM EDT
The had a problem with tight mag wells on some of their earlier rifles. It was a real pain trying to get my pre-ban CAR to take Orlite mags. I've heard they fixed this awhile back though.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 1:14:14 PM EDT
Here we go again. *Sigh* I love mine. I have a Preban Olympic Ultramatch with a Kahles scope. It has run without a hiccup and places 5 shot groups of Lake City ($3.25/box) under an inch at 100 yards all day long and bullet holes from handloads touch eachother. Warning: Bad press on the way- Enjoy your post. Damian
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 1:17:56 PM EDT
Didn't mean to cause a riot. Just wanted some opinions... But you know what they say: "Opinions are like a$$holes, everyones got 'em and most of 'em stink!"
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 1:25:22 PM EDT
I have had a few over the years and have had great sucess. I currently have a PCR4 and enjoy the hell out of it. It works flawless. You just have to ignore the negative comments. Some people just can't be satisfied.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 1:27:22 PM EDT
My Oly won't take thermolds, the ridge hits the bottom of the mag well before it locks in. Oly will remake it, but it's NBD for me. Works fine with usgi mags, has been a great rifle.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 1:29:27 PM EDT
PCR 16, with a EO-TEC on top. Thousands of round down range. Not a problem. great 3 gun match rifle.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 1:56:15 PM EDT
They all have there little quarks, Bushmaster, Colt, Etc. My best weapon is an Old Olympic SGW with a Old Olympic A1 11.5” upper. Never a problem and I have shot thousands of rounds through it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 3:07:43 PM EDT
Their Stainless Ultra Match barrels were very good. Have been using one in Service Rifle competition with good results. It shoots better than I do. Was trying to get another for a varmint rifle but was told that their rifling cutter was TU and no telling when (if ever) it would be up and running again. I looked a some of their cast receivers at the gun show. They had lots of pin-holes and other tiny flaws. Wasn't very impressive. From what I have seen, Olympic has chosen to move into the inexpensive blaster market and leave the precision market to others.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 3:17:56 PM EDT
I had a olympic arms and loved it. I never had a problem with it, but had to sell it a few yrs ago in a money crunch.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:18:32 PM EDT
I bought an OLY preban gun sometime ago and had nothing but problems with it. I think they are OK now, but I would highly recommend you getting a forged receiver instead of a cast one. In some cases, OLY uses cast receivers. I know their Plinker product uses cast. Their web site has some pages about the differences. D.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:58:46 PM EDT
I have three and they all work fine ... if you do a search, you'll see this topic was covered ad nauseum very recently.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 9:20:34 PM EDT
I have a 24" SS varmint that shoots 3/8 groups and I love it. Problem is I need to sell it to pay for other toys. [url] http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=171568[/url]
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 9:40:26 PM EDT
I don't have a olympic built rifle, but have a ultra match barrel and a couple of their 9mm uppers. no complaints here.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 10:16:16 PM EDT
2 of em. Zero Problems. _Excellent_ Accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 11:03:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By smooth_pilot: Their Stainless Ultra Match barrels were very good. Have been using one in Service Rifle competition with good results. It shoots better than I do. Was trying to get another for a varmint rifle but was told that their rifling cutter was TU and no telling when (if ever) it would be up and running again. I looked a some of their cast receivers at the gun show. They had lots of pin-holes and other tiny flaws. Wasn't very impressive. From what I have seen, Olympic has chosen to move into the inexpensive blaster market and leave the precision market to others.
View Quote
Cast recievers look like crap? No kidding! Thats why they are so cheap. Look at the decent ones and you will find they are nice. Spend the extra $20 and quit being so cheap. I'm not sure who you talked to about the SUM barrels, but I just had one custom made in 5.56 without any problems. Where are you getting your info from?
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 3:22:49 AM EDT
I have 3 and love them. People will always find problems with a product. That's human nature, never satisfied with what they have. I have looked at their new PCR rifles and they are clean and feel well made. If I did not have several bushmasters, rock river, eagle arms, and olys, I would of bought it already. Just get the forged receiver and enjoy. Max [marines]
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:59:53 AM EDT
Maybe you should post this in the industry section of the web site. [;D]
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:19:43 AM EDT
Oly doesn't have a section like Bushmaster or Colt in the Industry section...[:|]
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:25:53 AM EDT
I'm shocked. Is Glockfan on vacation? [peep] Another Oly owner. PCR 16. Hundreds of rounds, not a single hiccup. Solid rifle. Big smile.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:32:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Aristotle13: I'm shocked. Is Glockfan on vacation? [peep]
View Quote
My thoughts exactly!
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 3:48:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/16/2003 4:02:33 PM EDT by _DR]
Originally Posted By Stickman: Cast recievers look like crap? No kidding! Thats why they are so cheap. Look at the decent ones and you will find they are nice.
View Quote
All Olympic rifles come with T3 forged receivers except their lowest priced rifle, the 5.56mm "Plinker" ($599) which has a cast receiver to keep cost down. I have an postban Olympic Carbine with a forged receiver, and have had zero (0) malfunctions in 900 rounds fired (Lake city XM193 ball, always). Olympic is also one of the few manufacturers that offer a forged Titanium receiver as an option. Their black-Tac coating technology appears to be superior in trials to chrome-plating for the bolt group. It seems AR owners either love or hate Olympics. Personally I love mine, and I also own a Bushmaster. The only issue I have ever had with my Oly was the mag well was a bit tight with Bushmaster mags, but perfect with USGI, Orlite and UK made SA-80 mags. OK, Flak jacket and helmet on, ready for flames by Oly Haters........
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 3:59:46 PM EDT
Does Oly offer a chrome lined bbl? I have no objections to buying an Oly as I have several friends owning their rifles with no complaints. Karl
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 4:01:36 PM EDT
No, chrome degrades accuracy very very slightly (that's why you see few if any DCM competition rifles with chrome bores). I don't believe they offer that.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 4:40:45 PM EDT
krazy_karl, Why would you want a chrome-lined bore unless you are headed to Vietnam? If you check around you will find that none of the serious competition barrels are chrome-lined. If corrosion is your concern, get a stainless barrel - they will last a little longer, as well.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 3:13:32 AM EDT
See my thread on the Service Match review. I only have 70 rounds through it so far. I am very pleased. I own a Bushmaster, carry Rock Rivers and Colts at work and am a Colt Armorer. These new Olympics look very good.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 9:41:31 AM EDT
smooth pilot, I love all of my Olys, but I still wish they made a chrome lined barrel. Most people on this board will never shoot well enough (with open irons) to know the difference between chrome and non-chromed. However, everyone on the board can tell the difference in how well and quick they clean up. There is a time and place for everything. My SUM barreled AR is used for different purposes than my M4 and AR15A3. There is nothing wrong with a non-chrome barrel if you know why you want it. For general shooting, I would still go chrome.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 12:23:04 AM EDT
I have converted two Oly cast lowers to full -auto and they spit out the lead just as good as the forged ones... Oly SUM barrels for the dollar are EXCELLENT deals. This is commonly said/known, even on AR15.com! :-) Oly had problems years ago, but has relaly gotten their act together and producing an awesome product. As I have always said, when buying an AR from the top 5 or 6 manufacturers look at: 1) Price 2) Warrenty 3) Customer service
Top Top