Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/5/2005 3:14:30 PM EDT
Does anybody out there own/has anybody shot one of Oly Arms .30 Carbine AR's? I've always been something of a sucker for the little round and think that an AR in the caliber would be pretty good stuff. To me, the little round has always gotten something of a raw deal. In a soft-point loading, it's a great home defense round and certainly more than adequate for the likes of 'Whiley Coyote!' But, I digress! Seems to me it'd also make a great urban patrol carbine. Uses plentiful, cheap M-1 Carbine mags, to boot!

If you have had experience with the thing, pass along your thoughts.

Many thanks.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:28:07 PM EDT
The 5.56 round is more effective. Why go for this now?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:46:48 PM EDT
My father served in Korea 52,53 and he used an M1 carbine in the summer and the garand in the winter because the carbine didnt cut the mustard when used against the enemy wearing heavy padded clothing.5.56 is way more effective.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:53:27 PM EDT
My advise is shop around and get a good surplus military (as opposed to comercial) GI M1 carbine.If you keep away from the true collectable ones and concentrate on a good honest shooter you are going to be spending lots less $ than an AR.
If you ever need to sell it off the M1 is going to appreceate and the AR in 30 carbine will be looked at as an oddball piece.
30 Carbine is a cool cartridge in itself but lacks the power,flat shooting of the5.56 and costs more to boot.

Of course we are in this gun thing for fun,so knock yourself out if it is what you want.

I have reasoned the .22lr conversion or drop in to be great blasting fun,the 9mm also has a lot going for it (mostly cheep ammo) I have both and love them.
If I was a hunter I would have to look at some of the heavy stuff (Beauwolf ect) but unless you have a good reason they are pretty costly to buy and shoot .

On the other odd stuff such as the 6.8 whatever I have little use and can't justify the cost as there is so many other guns thet I need to buy first.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:37:21 PM EDT
It's a nice weapon and much underrated. It's light & handy and it's hard to hang a lot of usless crap on it.Dr. Gary Roberts, who is probably in the forefront of current terminal balistics rates it above the AR for distances under 100 yds when proper (Remington SP) ammo is used.

Unfortunately, Dr. Roberts only had a brief presence on this forum. He gave up early after being attacked by the tactical teen-agers in residence here.

It's probably a better choice than an AR for home defense and <50 yard work. Among it's many problems is ya can get the carbine and everything ya can hang on it for about $600.

If ya want to get some factual data on the effectiveness of the carbine, try the search function on Tactical Forums (Terminal Effects Forum).
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:26:01 PM EDT
Anyone who thinks the .30 carbine round won't penetrate thick clothing needs to take a long look at the Box o' Truth
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:34:29 PM EDT
Yeah, the same people who say it has lousy penetration adore the 45ACP. I guess they figure that a wider bullet with less energy will penetrate better...
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:38:34 PM EDT
I am saddened to see this thread.

I adore and love my newly acquired M1 Carbine, and now I have to buy an AR in the same caliber, same mags.

Thanks for the direction.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:46:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2005 5:47:48 AM EDT by model927]
Lousy penetration is right.My father used one for real and although light and handy it sucked against the mass infantry assaults of chineese and north Koreans wearing lots of layers.Any of you naysayers use it in Korea in the winter during combat? so the "box of truth" in my case is coming from a man who carried it and fought there.He used it in the warmer months but like most others used a garand in the winter and hes not the only vet who says this about the M1s effectiveness against thickly clothes layered oponents.My father 24th infantry 34th regiment pusan and other placesand he also carried a 1911..he loved it in any weather and now although modifed from wilson combat it sits in my concealed carry holster.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:04:11 AM EDT
M1 Carbine always reminded me of the little Daisy BB gun I carried around when I was a kid,IBMs are going(when one is around) around $1100 here!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:22:30 AM EDT
Who really cares if the thing has any useful purpose anyway. 99.9%+ of all shots fired from a civilian gun are just for "fun" anyway. I think a more relevant question is whether or not the 30 Carbine AR would be fun to shoot. If so, then it is worth buying in my book.

Some of my most useless, purposeless guns are the most fun to shoot.

If every gun you own is for a particular purpose (or so you have convinced yourself) then you obviously don't have enough guns. ;-)

Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:17:04 AM EDT
Word of mouth really means nothing, Just because 'your dad' or anyone says it would not stop the enemy really means little. First, the carbine was for short ranges, was he trying to shoot the chinese at longer ranges than the carbine was ment for? Also, you do know that the chinese use to wet and freeze the front of their quilted jackets as quasi body armor during the winter, which will also effect it's terminal ballistics. The M1 carbine was ment to be a PDW NOT a replacement to the Garand, so it is not to be compared to the Garand but rather the 1911 pistol.

Stange is the the Nazi loved this little carbine which fit their tactics better of fast attacks at close range. I personally love this little round it is really fun to shoot.

I have to also agree that your money may be better spend on a M1 carbine than a upper for an AR. Better deal for the money, holds value better. Sights are not too dissimilar. The only benefit I could see from a AR upper would be assessory rails, but there are assessory rails for the M1 carbine as well.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:35:56 AM EDT
If you want to .30 Carbine shooting rifle, get a M1 Carbine! Not an AR that shoots the round.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:47:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:08:57 PM EDT
Personally, taking away the M1 carbine removes all the appeal of the 7.62x33 round. With a FMJ bullet, its not exactly god's hand...I don't feel that the cartridge got a bad rap. I feel like it deserved any critiscism it received as it offers very poor lethality with a FMJ bullet, as used by the military. The M1 carbine was one of the first "patrol carbines" and were used by many LE agencies, including the NYPD. It just offers poor terminal ballistics with the FMJ bullet and has a large potential to over penetrate.This round excedes the potential of the .357 magnum, so its certainly capable given a decent JHP of defensive work. Loading some 7.62x33 rounds with Speer Gold Dots or Hydrashoks would make for an excellent defensive or hunting round. Even loaded

with a decent JHP its potential pales in comparison to the 5.56. I love the M1 carbine and like the 7.62x33 round but I can't imagine one without the other. 30 carbine ammo isn't cheap or effective enough to offer any advantage over other AR calibers. IMHO, there are many other "alternative caliber" ARs to consider over the Olympic .30 carbine...like 5.45x39. If you like the M1 carbine I suggest you buy one. They are awesome little weapons. They are light, reasonably accurate/reliable and point very well. Just be careful not to buy a junkie repro or a USGI weapon that has been destroyed fighting commies. I am looking for an IMI carbine or perhaps I will spring and buy a Fulton Armory model. My .02: If you want to shoot 7.62x33 use an M1 Carbine.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:26:28 PM EDT
I wish I would have 600$ at the last gun show I went to. There were 5 or 6 real military m1 carbines. They looked rough but I'd really like to have one. I almost bought a universal but decided against it.

They are sweet little rifles. My grandfather he shot them a lot when he was in the airforce. Then he purchased one whenever he got out. Had that and a real Garand and various other guns. They were all stolen from his house

Not to hijack but what are the m1 carbine paratrooper models worth? They had one at that show for 1495$
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:28:04 PM EDT
Here's why I'd like a 30Carbine in an AR15...

Light weight target barrel with a free float config. Load the 30Carbine with 110grn Hornady Vmaxes or 125grn Speer TNTs and have a nice little short range varmint cartridge. 30cal. splat with a lower velocity shorter range round.

Oddball, yep, but probably interesting to play around with.

My handgun would be a 30Carbine Taurus 8 shot revolver with moon clips.

Only problem is making sure that you can seat the spire point bullets to mag tolerant lengths.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:05:06 PM EDT
Thanks for all the insights and opinions. They are appreciated. Sorry for not replying back sooner, but other things in life often take priority over the fun to be had here!

A couple guys suggested that I might be better served by getting a real, live M-1 Carbine. Been there, got one. I love the thing. Easy shooting, accurate, lots of fun! And, out to maybe 75m, fed the right fodder, it'll 'do the deed' quite nicely. But, as several folks have pointed out, the mere fact that it's a gun...a sort of COOL gun...is all the reason one might need to get one.

Now, to the folks spitting & howling about just how impotent the little .30 is, well...there are a lot of Japanese soldiers & Imperial Marines, along with quite a few Viet Cong & NVA types who can give mute testimony to the contrary! Up close and personal jungle warfare is where the little 'War Baby' shone! And, as for those Chinese soldiers in Korea, well, let's think! Scrawny, tough as nails little dudes at long(er) ranges. Does this sound familiar? Repeat after me: "Somalia," "Afghanistan." And I thought they were acting as if the 5.56 was right next to the Hammer of Thor! Add to this the fact that those quilted Chinese jackets sucked up any lost blook like a Kot...Oh, you get the idea!!!

Reality check, folks! Every caliber has it's limits. The 5.56 with a 62 gr. bullet out of a short barrelled AR gets too slow too fast to work well at longer ranges. The 7.62X51 is a great round, but it's possessed of significantly more recoil, uses a heavier rifle (not real handy at CQB distances) and the ammo weighs A LOT more! The .30 Carbine with a FMJ bullet, schlepping along at 150m is, again, going too slow, not to mention, is a FMJ bullet, to do great things on a tough, determined enemy! On the other hand, fed a nice, JHP or SP projectile, and kept to reasonable distances, the little thing will put down a bad guy with authority. The round packs the energy at 100m of a 125 gr. .357 Mag at the muzzle! Say whatever you like, that's nothing to sneeze at & this is one old fart that isn't volunteering to get in front of either one!

So, the 'Cliff's Notes' version: I think the AR in .30 Carbine is cool and possessed of a certain charm. The round is accurate and easy to shoot. It'll do the deed on a bad guy, ferrel cat or coyote, should the need arrise And, IT'S ANOTHER AR for the collection!!! What's not to love?!?!?!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:00:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By model927:
Lousy penetration is right.My father used one for real and although light and handy it sucked against the mass infantry assaults of chineese and north Koreans wearing lots of layers.Any of you naysayers use it in Korea in the winter during combat? so the "box of truth" in my case is coming from a man who carried it and fought there.He used it in the warmer months but like most others used a garand in the winter and hes not the only vet who says this about the M1s effectiveness against thickly clothes layered oponents.My father 24th infantry 34th regiment pusan and other placesand he also carried a 1911..he loved it in any weather and now although modifed from wilson combat it sits in my concealed carry holster.

I too love 1911, and if I had to choose between an M1 carbine and a Garand in combat, I would definately go for .30-06 baby!!! I don't fault your uncle at all for his decision. It's easy to say what is good or bad, but when your life is on the line, that's a different story.
Remember, the M1 carbine was only meant to be used for support personnel, it wasn't designed to be a "Front Line Weapon"
I own a Garand, and a 1911, and I love them both. But I will honestly say, if the SHTF, I will reach for my AR.

It has worked wonders for the US military for 30 + years, I figure it will work for me too!!
Top Top