Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 9:30:56 AM EST
OK I searched (here and else where) looking for user information on Olympic lowers.
I realize most think there full rifles are dogs, but what about NEW made this month (July 2008) lowers - no parts just the bare gutted lowers?
I find no real reviews or opinions on the empty lowers for building your own rifle.

My dealer is an Oly dealer and has them for a very good price, he'll sell me for $90 ea he will allow me to choose sequential serial numbers (which is cool to me) I was going to get three of them.

I was thinking a stag parts kit and Stag upper on them.

Thoughts on the empty NEW Oly lowers?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:46:09 AM EST
You may be the point man on that. I'd be interested to hear if they're decent.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:22:36 AM EST
Make sure your mags fit into the magwells. $90 bucks is a great price, but if it were me, I'd spend extra for another maker.

Been burned by bad Oly lowers back in the ban era. They did make it right afterward, but I'm in California and am now stuck with what I've got. Wished I would have spent an extra $20 per lower for a Bushmaster or Armalite.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:41:25 AM EST
Not sure how many folks you're going to find that have weeks old Oly lowers here but my 2005 manufacturer Oly lower is g2g even with my Pmags.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:38:32 PM EST
Take a USGI mag with oyu and try inserting them in each of the lowers you want to buy. That will give you a good indication if they are worth investing in. Oly mag wells are cut to the very tight side of the specs and have a reoutation for tight mag wells.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:37:26 PM EST
I would check an upper on them and make sure the front and rear pins line up. Also I would check the hammer /trigger holes on the bolt catch side of the lower to make sure they were correct size.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:04:48 PM EST
Used one in 2007 and it was as good as anything else.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:27:05 PM EST

Originally Posted By RTFM:
OK I searched (here and else where) looking for user information on Olympic lowers.
I realize most think there full rifles are dogs, but what about NEW made this month (July 2008) lowers - no parts just the bare gutted lowers?
I find no real reviews or opinions on the empty lowers for building your own rifle.

My dealer is an Oly dealer and has them for a very good price, he'll sell me for $90 ea he will allow me to choose sequential serial numbers (which is cool to me) I was going to get three of them.

I was thinking a stag parts kit and Stag upper on them.

Thoughts on the empty NEW Oly lowers?

From all that I have seen and been told about in reference to Olympic Arms rifle lowers of late is that there good to go,

Mater of fact they have some of the best shooting long lasting barrels on the market with there bull Bbl's that are SS.

Even some of the other company's have had tight lowers from time to time when comes to P-mags not being able to drop free just look up the thread on the P-Mags from about 1-1/2 months ago.

I would check every lower period ! That could be before buying it regardless of manufacturer.

Good luck,

yls
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:00:37 AM EST
I got a good oly stripped lower, Pmags drop fine too!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:12:47 AM EST
I built on an Olyin 2006... it was gtg
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:09:42 AM EST
I have one from 2007. It is great. All mags i have tried including USGI, DH Industries, P-mags, USGI, Colt, all drops fine. Also marries well with different uppers.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:47:54 AM EST
bought one of the complete oly k16s about 6 months ago. ran 2000 rounds through it with only 2 FTEs, no FTFs, and it was probably because i was shooting reloads and had some brass that wasnt perfect. i think theyre decent guns, and i paid $600 for mine brand new. its a hell of a bargain for a new complete gun.

here's the downside. . . the lower was out of spec. mags dropped like they were supposed to, but i checked the upper and lower at the TD pin areas and the front was about .005 out of spec. it wobbled like an SOB on right to left transitions. . . to the point of making a knock noise. i put a accuwedge in the back, and that tightened things up a bit, but it pissed me off enough that i sold it and am building something else from scratch instead. i think the olys are a good bargain gun, but no better than a cheap kit gun, which could be built for about the same price.

it was accurate though, i have to say that. mine had the 16" bull barrel, and with my eotech or iron sights, i could consistently ring the steel at 200yds without even trying. i did have to rotate my gas block just a hair to get my flip sights to line up perfect so my rear windage wasnt totally out of whack, but after that it was all good.

i probably should have kept the upper.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:03:38 PM EST
I would get something else just so it would have a better resale value if my interest changes in the future.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:56:46 AM EST
Thanks for all the input everyone, I "bit the bullet" so to speak and put two of them behind the counter to pick up mid august.

When I do - I'll snap some pics and post them just for S&G, I guess the important part (for me at least) is that I now have a starting point BEFORE the next election.

Will report when they come home.

R
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:03:33 AM EST
im a fan of spike's and tactical innovations lowers. theyre good.
Top Top