Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 10:39:24 AM EDT
This is common, I have heard.  Mine broke at the milled out area on the extractor and from that point forward, is completely missing.  Funny thing is the gun kept running fairly well after it happened.

Oly tells me that they no longer mill the outside of the extractor, but mill a recess in the bolt carrier and this no longer happens.  I have to send in my complete upper for the repair.

I was just hoping they would send me an extractor.......  Gotta do without this toy for a while.

FYI, it took at least 5000 rounds for this to happen, no Wolf ammo involved.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#1]
My Oly extractor broke on a 45 upper. I have no idea how many rounds it had fired before the break. I sent my bolt in and they fixed it for me.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I called Oly today.  My bolt did have the latest revision.   They said the extractor must have caught on something and that it was probably not set up right from the factory.

I call BS on that.  I think it would have taken less than 5000 rounds for that to show up.  

It doesn't take an engineer (I am one) to know that the thing broke right at the counterbore for the extractor spring for a reason.

They even argued with me when I ordered a spare extractor and spring.  

I ain't complaining, there is an easy fix for this, they just have to change a couple parts.  As long as I get at least another 5000 from the new part, I will be pleased.

I also ordered a spare extractor and spring for my .45 upper.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#5]
The carrier is relieved, but the extractor is still bored for the spring and that is precisely where it broke.  

At least the repair was free and I won't have to ship the entire upper back if it happens again.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#7]
9/21 and they still haven't returned it.....
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
On the unit I had I got really tired of the broken extractors, you can fasion an extractor out of a std. .223 extractor.   Cut it short right behind the pivot pin position,  drill the relief hole in the extractor, basically weaken it yourself, and grind ever so little off the front of the extractor hook so it is flush with the front of the bolt.  Make yourself a couple spares then when it breaks you can pop in a new one ready to go.

In the end I got totally tired of these breaking,  I milled the extractor recess in the bolt back so a sull extractor would fit,  This aligned the original spring hole exactly across from the cam pin that holds the bolt in place, but does not cam in the 9mm,  I ground the cam pin to a taper so that as I inserted it, it tensioned the extractor pin against the extractor.  It never caused a problem again and now the unit took std. .223 extractors.

Do you have a photo on the sull and your mod?  

I did get my PCR9 upper back Thursday 9-22.  It runs again.  I ordered a couple spare extractors, but they are pricey, $38 for two.  I had to fit one of them, the pivot pin would not insert.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:42:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:05:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top