Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/10/2003 2:55:37 PM EDT
I was just wondering if yall could give a young buck, like myself, some good info on Olympic Arms. Like whether or not to buy one, I was looking at the Oly Car-97 or the PCR-5.
Thanks Alot.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Oly is up there with the rest of em..i have an Oly lower on my frankin-AR..it does what its suppose to..i have a bushy dissp. model and i feel the trigger is smoother on this as well as the action..but ya really cant go wronge with any AR ya get.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a PCR-5 that is a great rifle. I've had Colts and Bushys too, as well as a Mini14 and an FAL and the Oly is the most reliable, well made of the bunch. It is more accurate, just as reliable, and has a better trigger than the Colt or Bushy. The overall fit and finish is also better. They also have a lifetime warranty and excellant customer service.They are the only AR maker that manufactures all of their own parts and have supplied triggers to Colt and barrels to Bushmaster. I would recommend Olympic to the exclusion of any other brand, regardless of price.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got an Oly preban lower mated to an RRA upper.  Very tight fit, almost perfect match.  I would recommend an Oly to anyone interested.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I purchased an Oly Ultramatch several years ago. When the rifle arrived its barrel had head spacing issues and it bulged factory ammo brass, The free floated handguards were not tightened all the way. The bi pod stud hole was drilled 20 degrees off. I was told to send back the upper. It took them over a year about 14 months to be exact to get the barrel replaced. They lied to me several times when I called to check the status on my rifle. At one point they said I had a special barrel and I would have to wait for the next batch to be made. They graciously offered me a cheaper barrel with no refund in the cost difference. How nice of them. Anyway after being told my upper was in the mail or it was almost done several times. 14 months had passed when it finally arrived. After shooting it for 1000 rounds or so the trigger started to double. I called oly they said the trigger was put in by a sub contractor and I would have to contact them.

I washed my hands of that rifle at a huge loss. They have the worst customer service out there and they make some of the worst kitchen table gunsmithed AR15's out there.
PAT
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]
well with the exception of the last guy i guess i will go ahead and order the pcr-5. thanks for the help guys, and if anyone cares i will put a pic up when it comes in.
[USA] [sniper2]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#6]
THAT WILL BE YOUR LOSS BUDDY.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Oly is making good weapons right now and on new equipment.  Most of the bitching is from older models or people repeating rumors.

Mine work great.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:17:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Dude, I've bought two Oly's in the past several months.  Listen I have had no problems with mine and I know several others that have them and they like them too.  Some people don't like them but as with everything you may get a lemon.  The warranty and customer service is great.  If you call them they will be more than happy to talk to you.  By the way, both of my Oly's are PCR 16 and PCR 5.  Now....if I can figure out the picture thing I would show them off.  Good Luck, they make a great product.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 12:56:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Stickman when did Oly improve? My experience took place in 1997.
PAT
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:15:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've got a PCR-5 that is a great rifle. I've had Colts and Bushys too, as well as a Mini14 and an FAL and the Oly is the most reliable, well made of the bunch. It is more accurate, just as reliable, and has a better trigger than the Colt or Bushy.

Ok, no you can't go wrong with Oly, I have a preban that I've had forever and when it's clean with the good mags I have, it never jams and it's super accurate. In my opinion, Oly's and Bushy's are better than Colts. However, it is nowhere near the FAL, not even in the same universe. The FAL is the finest, most reliable, best designed most accurate rifle ever (arguably). Try out a DSA FAL and the AR-15 will seem irrelevent. I absolutely love AR's, don't get me wrong but I must defend by beloved FAL, the FAL is the finest rifle ever made. If I had to go to war and was given the choice, I would never ever ever opt for any AR or M16 over a FAL, no way never ever. I say buy your oly, then go get a man's rifle from DSA.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:33:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got a 1978 Colt SP1 and recently purchased an OLY "Plinker" and have put a few hundren rounds thru it already. I think the Cast receiver is catching a bum rapp.  I eyeballed the Plinker against my SP1 for workmanship and accuracy and the plinker came out just fine in the comparison. The plinker will outshoot my SP1 hands down and performs perfectly, fit is as good or better than my SP1 (96% condition).  The only minor difference is the finish due to its being cast, has the feel and look of a fresh parkerized finish.  I like the SP1's chromed bore but the enhanced accuracy of the plinker makes it a good trade-off. Should I ever have a problem with the OLY I can send it back with the lifetime warranty, the SP1 will be my problem.  I suspect most who bash the plinker and oly arms in general never owned one and feel a little insecure about the AR15 they did purchase. My Colt 3X Scope is on my "plinker" not my SP1.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:04:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I just bought my first AR after months of reading on here.  Initially I was considering an Oly because I have heard lots of good things (as well as bad).  What it came down to is there are other manufacturers at similar prices with almost no bad comments to be found.  I went with a Rock River M4 which is priced similarly to the Oly and also has a lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:12:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
PAT
View Quote

Tell us about your defective trigger in your Armalite AR-10. Then tell us how Armalite refuses to fix it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
PAT
View Quote

Their facility burned a few years back and they basically had to start over with a lot of their equipment.

Your customer service complaints really baffle me, as I have heard nothing but good things about their service. I have had very good experiences with them myself. I recently bought another Oly, used, from a guy that had lost some of the smaller parts. I called Oly to order some replacements. They sent me the parts free of charge, no shipping charges, and they arrived from the other side of the country in 4 business days. That is spectacular customer service.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had nothing but good experiences.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had an OLY Plinker for about a month now and can see building another AR from the ground up in the future.

My only complaint, let me rephrase this, my only part of the plinker I don't like is the butt stock. When shooting in a T-shirt the butt pad has rough edges that are a little uncomfortable. But I fixed this by going to the local military suplus and bought an M16 butt stock that looked like new for $3. Yes it was only Three Dollars. Now I don't have any problems whatsoever with my OLY Plinker.
[^]     [snoopy]     [sniper]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Tell us about your defective trigger in your Armalite AR-10. Then tell us how Armalite refuses to fix it.

END

Why are you trying to start stuff. That thread has been talked to death. Yes Armalite makes a crappy trigger for their AR10T. Yes it still doubles. Yes I will be installing a KAC trigger in it when it arrives. Yes Oly was 20 times worse than Armalite. Armalite lied about refunding me the shipping cost. They said they would but never did. Thats one lie. Oly lied nearly every time I called the.

Armalite had my rifle back to me in about 4 weeks while Oly took 14 months. Armalite had one problem with the AR10T and one problem with the AR180. Oly had a huge amount of problems.  The only companies I have had 100% good luck with are Colt and Bushmaster.
PAT
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:20:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I had one and i end up trading for a ak-47 after i found out how bad oly customer service was.
After i wait several month for a bolt catch,that i have to order from another manufacture,they want me to ship them the rifle back,can you believed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#19]
 Olympic Arms,  Yeah, I remember them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a newer SUM 1/8.5 upper and it punches one hole all day long with a variety of handloads. Never a prob. They are pumping out the most accurate bbls to be had now if you ask me.
   Im a FAl man all the way. .308 is the only serious round IMHO. I bought 2 new ar10T carbines last year.SS nice green fibre hgs and the Armalite brake. Really awesome looking.
Couldn't hit the same area twice. I tryed 10 different ammo varieties also. Junk. I took both guns back that day and got a refund. The Dude didn't even ask why.My 40 year old Handbuilt FAl wasted the Armalite. By far.
    I thought being a good Co. and newer designs and SS,it would have to at least hang with the FAl. Wrongo LOL    jerryboy
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I have the PCR-5 and it's a great rifle.

Mine came just the way I like 'em; used and abused, dirty, rusty and inexpensive.  It cleaned up real nice and with a new set of springs will put UMC into 2" at 100yds.  A couple of USGI mags and a case of Wolf and this rifle will deliver lots of smiles.

Are there better rifles out there?  Yes.

Are there better "ready made" rifles for the price?  I don't think so.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Buy OLY and you buy junk, generally speaking.  People love their OLY's like they love there KIA's or Yugo cars.  They got screwed into buying one because they did not have enough money for a real one and they make like its a good thing.

Go to a real high power rifle match or real three-gun competition and you won't see one.  They are good for a few rounds of trigger slapping or a nice 50 yard group.  I have seen the OLY warranty in action and it is as shitty as anything I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Love my Oly and have experienced their customer service and was very impressed with it.  Their rifles have a lifetime warranty regardless of whether you are the original purchaser or not.  This means that should you purchase a used rifle and it needs fixin', their warranty still applies.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top