Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/7/2006 4:06:36 PM EDT
Here goes nothing. I've lurked on this BB for some time now trying to learn what I could about AR-15's. I bought my first one this week. It's a DPMS. I know you always ask for pictures so here's my attempt;

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5678/dpmsar155wb.th.jpg

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Darn, that's small. I went through Imageshack. I'm not sure how to make it bigger. h
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Darn, that's small. I went through Imageshack. I'm not sure how to make it bigger.

When you click on the thumbnail photo above, it enlarges.

Welcome to the site. You're never too old to be an AR-15 owner.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome.  Although (slightly) younger, I too recently purchased my first AR (Bushmaster SL) and will be taking it out to the range for the first time this weekend!  One nice thing about shooting sports, you really can't be too young or too old to enjoy...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#4]
One more time I'll try to make the origional pic a little larger;

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/1825/dpmsar150lr.jpg
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Oh well, as you might have guessed by my username, I'm old - 60 to be exact.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you POPS but you're just too old to start!! For your safety, and the safety of others, you must send me your new AR as soon as possible. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

BTW, Welcome.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey - that's better. I'm a retired postal worker and ex Viet Nam vet ( Military Police). Thanks for the welcome. I know I've already learned a lot of good stuff here. I don't normally post a lot but I read just about every day.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Better late than never. Sweet rifle also!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe I'm second oldest? I just bought my first AR (DPMS A3 20") on Feb 25. Last shot an M16A1 in 1981 courtesy of the USMC. I am now 46, and just now got bit by the dread BRD!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Maybe I'm second oldest? I just bought my first AR (DPMS A3 20") on Feb 25. Last shot an M16A1 in 1981 courtesy of the USMC. I am now 46, and just now got bit by the dread BRD!!

Beat you!

I'm 47 and got my first AR in January (Colt LE6920).

When the SHTF, we'll be protecting the homefront from our rocking chairs; ARs across our laps.
The young wipper-snappers here can do the recon work.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#10]
60?  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............................................I can barely remember being 60.  Ah, to be young again.    

Welcome to AR's.

Cheers,

Phil
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome aboard sir.  Your service to our country is greatly appreciated.

Nice looking rifle.  If you are really coming down with BRD then it won't be your last.

CSP
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't have a dog in the Age fight here (pesky 19 year old)

Nice rifle and welcome to the site

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beat you!

When the SHTF, we'll be protecting the homefront from our rocking chairs; ARs across our laps.

heezing
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Welcome!  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Welcome!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Your off to a good start . Now go to the range thats when the fever really kicks in !!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Welcome to the disease
so when you buying your next
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:42:42 AM EDT
[#19]
That might be your 1st but it will not be your last if you come around the boards very often

welcome,
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:57:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:09:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Welcome!

+1 Welcome!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:30:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Pops, you'll always be a vietnam vet; not an EX vietnam vet. Thanks for your service.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:08:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Hey - that's better. I'm a retired postal worker...

You're a retired postal worker and you are just discovering the AR?!?!?

Sorry, just couldn't resist!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#24]
WELCOME!

Two bulls are stading on a hill,
Young bull says, hey let's tun down there and f$#k us a cow!
Old Bull says nah, let's walk down there and f#$k 'em all!!!!

Youth and vigor are no match for age and treachery!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Welcome!

And thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Hello to all
I have been a lurker here as well for a while, reading and learning about AR's
I thought that I might be the "oldest newbie" at 42. I will have to settle for fourth.

I recently bought a new Bushmaster carbine 16" HB with removable handle, 6 pos stock.

Have not shot it yet but I already purchased some extra mags from 44mag.com, plus ammo from ammoman.com, plus a can of canned heat from Georga arms not .com(they were at a gun show in my town a few weeks ago).

Still looking for a sling (I'm considering one of those single point deals) also an EOTech later down the line. I plan on learning the IRONS first and see how that goes. I'll get to shoot her soon. Still trying to put my house back together after suffering 6 inches of flood water from Katrina. First things first. Thanks for this site, I have learned a lot.
Later on, Doug
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beat you!

Wheezing Geezers on patrol

Wheezing Geezers have a tendancy to shoot people when ticked off or threatened. I believe they have less to loose and don't get hung up on legal mumbo jumbo. They've lived long, got used to it and intend to keep doing so. Have you ever noticed home many of the self defense stories in American Rifleman are from Geezers!!

Oh and welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Welcome POPS.

Were you around when they started building the Pyramids?
Owning an AR at your age is a good thing, if somebody kicks your walker out from under you, you can use your AR as a cane.

I'm 47, so I can do the "old joke" thing.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Welcome to the site Sir.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow.............. a pair of noobs, but both with nice rigs!

Way to go, POPS and Dagwood!

'bout time you guys chimed in!

Interesting choice POPS with the M4 barrel and fixed A2 stock. But around here being different is worth extra style points.

welcome aboard.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Welcome both of you and nice rifles. I was 59 last year and bought my first AR,a Bushmaster.
I have that disease and had to buy another,bought a POF mid-length 16". Thinking about
my next one already.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Hi Pops........I lurked on here for a week or so and bought my first AR about two weeks ago....bought another one last Friday........born in '43.......gun lover since early fifties......had the disease for longer than I can remember....presently culling the gun safe to see what I can trade for AR "stuff".
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Welcome aboard sir.  Nice rifle!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for all the warm (and not so warm) greetings. he.  Redfisher - the choice of the M2 barrel and A2 stock was my choice. It origionally came with the adjustable stock but I had my friend switch stocks. I prefer the stability of the fixed stock myself. More like the M16 I shot in the service I guess.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Another geezer here 46. I now have 2 AR's and am working on a 3rd. Welcome aboard nice to see and hear from others in my age catagory. Strike force Geezer out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#36]
One more popped out; I'll be 61 next month! Still playing gigs on sax, too, as well as loading and setting up the equipment. Just retired from my day gig, so I have a lot more time to play with guns! You may experience initial disappointment with the groups (patterns?) you get with the short barrel and short sight radius. Sight it in at 50 yds instead of 100, and use the small aperture on your flip sight. You may find that 55 grain ammo (M193) works better. Also make sure you get your nose right up to the charging handle. I found it was more comfortable for me to get the right shooting position with a collapsible M4 stock, and I already had a short M16A1 fixed stock on it. That 50-yd zero is from the 'Improved Battlesight Zero' (IBZ) and requires re-setting the rear sight to 2 clicks below 800/300. The how-to is linked here on the site somewhere. What it does is it provides point-blanks at 50 yds and 200 yds with a flatter trajectory. When the range is known to be 300 or greater, you just click the rear sight to that range. Most of us will not be taking shots over 200 with 16" barrels, some of which actually have much shorter rifled bores (M4 barrels with permanent attachments to get legal length), so the IBZ would seem to be just right for our carbines.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beat you!

Wheezing Geezers on patrol

Boy, you sure got that right! But remember this: "Old age and trechery will overcome youth and skill everytime."  

We'll cover you kids' backs from the comfort of our rockers!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#38]
welcome to your new home
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Welcome, Sir.

I got my start with the black rifle at age 15.  BRD kicked in at 18 when I could start buying my own stuff (promptly purchased my 3rd AR), and I think I started using the site at age 19.  I guess I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:37:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Welcome aboard! Congrats on the new tool. I hope you have a nice sized retirement check, because alot of it will go towards the cure for your disese your new hobby.  

Gene
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey - that's better. I'm a retired postal worker...

You're a retired postal worker and you are just discovering the AR?!?!?

Sorry, just couldn't resist!

Welcome to the boards! But I have to ask, why have a full stock on a shorty when the ban is gone?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Geez...at 50, I thought I was the old one around here.  Working on my third AR as well.  You young whippersnappers had best show your elders some respect.  I'm not too old to put a whuppin on ya! Hear?

dvo
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#43]
WELCOME!  NICE AR

GOOD AMMO ALSO

BTW dont buy MICROTECHS they are kinda like AR15 BUG
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Welcome! ..and Congrats on your new AR!
Good Luck with it and Good Shooting!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll turn 56 years next Saturday (03-18) and just bought my first AR last month: Bushmaster XM15-ES2. Here's some early tips for us old Jarheads.

The last time I had fired an M-16 in anger was in 1969 as a USMC grunt dodging AK rounds and Chi/coms near Khe Sanh. The next time I shot it was all pleasure and brought back some good and bad memories.

The "new versions" of the AR seem to have more power and are a bit louder than the M16 with the old fork FS that kept getting stuck in the vines in the bush. This one has a welded, Izzy, whatever the fuck that is.

Am getting a lot better with it already, shooting tight groups indoors. Will be plinking in some canals and bayous this weekend down here in Louisiana.

Only two minor gripes: the stock trigger is awfully stiff and causes a little trembling on long-held shots; and its hard to focus on the iron sights because of aging vision. Took care of the vision problems with a S.P.O.T. red dot sight (fabulous) and next week I'm having a JP adjustable trigger installed. I figure the groups will improve.

I also helped my shooting with the iron sights by adding a fiber optic Sightlink front post which ain't as sharp to my eyes as I'd hoped but it helps out a lot in picking up the front sight upon target acquisition.

I also pushed in the adjustable stock one stop last weekend and got a better feel for the rifle.

My biggest trouble, above all right now and haven't been able to correct it, is all the fussing by my wife the over amount of time and money I'm spending. I've got about 1,000 rounds stashed around the house now and have another 2,000 on backorder from various places (you young guys buy it all out real quick, don't y'all). Also have 13 brand new Bushmaster and D&H mags (but ordered Magpuls for all of them just tonight).

Sorry, I'm jabbering on like some old fool. But I got news for you, 56 ain't that old and all the plumbing and erectors sets work just fine.

Semper Fi all you old Nam buddies and sand Marines. hug.gif
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I'll turn 56 years next Saturday (03-18) and just bought my first AR last month: Bushmaster XM15-ES2. Here's some early tips for us old Jarheads.

The last time I had fired an M-16 in anger was in 1969 as a USMC grunt dodging AK rounds and Chi/coms near Khe Sanh. The next time I shot it was all pleasure and brought back some good and bad memories.

The "new versions" of the AR seem to have more power and are a bit louder than the M16 with the old fork FS that kept getting stuck in the vines in the bush. This one has a welded, Izzy, whatever the fuck that is.

Am getting a lot better with it already, shooting tight groups indoors. Will be plinking in some canals and bayous this weekend down here in Louisiana.

Only two minor gripes: the stock trigger is awfully stiff and causes a little trembling on long-held shots; and its hard to focus on the iron sights because of aging vision. Took care of the vision problems with a S.P.O.T. red dot sight (fabulous) and next week I'm having a JP adjustable trigger installed. I figure the groups will improve.

I also helped my shooting with the iron sights by adding a fiber optic Sightlink front post which ain't as sharp to my eyes as I'd hoped but it helps out a lot in picking up the front sight upon target acquisition.

I also pushed in the adjustable stock one stop last weekend and got a better feel for the rifle.

My biggest trouble, above all right now and haven't been able to correct it, is all the fussing by my wife the over amount of time and money I'm spending. I've got about 1,000 rounds stashed around the house now and have another 2,000 on backorder from various places (you young guys buy it all out real quick, don't y'all). Also have 13 brand new Bushmaster and D&H mags (but ordered Magpuls for all of them just tonight).

Sorry, I'm jabbering on like some old fool. But I got news for you, 56 ain't that old and all the plumbing and erectors sets work just fine.

Semper Fi all you old Nam buddies and sand Marines.

Oooh rahhhhh and Semper Fi old buddy!! I missed the Southeast Asia War Games by a couple of years, but our gear was the same as you remember! Good old M16A1, OD 782 gear, ALICE pack. The only diff is my dogtags don't have the notch in them.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top