Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2005 1:43:27 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me the history of the early Eagle Arms J-15 Carbine?   This has a 4.5 inch screw-on flash hider which is mostly barrel extension on the otherwise short barrel (Approx. 11.5) making it 16.1 inches.   It has a sliding stock, and field sights.  Is it any good ?  Bad?  Let me know.

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The J-15 is Essential Arms, not Eagle Arms. The lowers are cast. Essential Arms never sold complete weapons, only lower receivers.

That's all I can tell you.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's a J-15, it's not an Eagle Arms

It's an Essential Arms (E.A. CO>  KR. SPR. LA)

Out of business for quite a few years, Mine have served me well.  I believe they are cast lowers and all were made before the start of the Ban.

Your upper probably is some other brand, as I beleive Essential made only lowers.

Btw, If you want to sell that upper, give me a shout!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
You are right, it is an essential arms frame.   All I saw was the E.A. part.   Another friend of mine told me it was "Eagle Arms", his mistake.   The upper looks okay, cant say who just yet, will take off the handguards and maybe the barrel is stamped.   I'll let you know, thanks
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually, closer inspection shows it is a E.A. Frame.   The upper is is marked only with the letters "C" and "H" on the right side in the indentation of the upper receiver about 1 inch from the field sights.   The barrel is actually 10.5 inches, no marks whatsoever on the barrel.   It appears to be a heavy barrel under the handguards.   The flashhider, if one can call it that,  is 5.5 inches long and looks more like a barrel extension.   The last 3/4 of an inch being the slits for the hider portion of the hider.  I looked inside, this is not an older moderator like on the XM series of 16's the military had.   The bolt is marked "MPC" and the carrier is marked the letter "C".  

Any ideas ?

and thanks for the insight.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Out of business for quite a few years,

Have never been out of buisness. Just quit making lowers for a while but they are selling them again now and have a web site.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's E.A.s web site www.essentialarms.com/
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#7]
bolt and carrier sound like Colt parts.  Not positive but I think you can check them out over at www.biggerhammer.com   I used to have one of these lower recievers then ended up trading it for a SGW/Oly forged lower.

CD
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, they quit making receivers way before than '94 ban until here recently.  At $62.00 for a stripped lower, I know where I'll be buying receivers for my next build(s).
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Here's E.A.s web site www.essentialarms.com/

That's the beauty of this great site, no matter how much you think you know, someone always knows more - thank you

X
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:21:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Actually, closer inspection shows it is a E.A. Frame.   The upper is is marked only with the letters "C" and "H" on the right side in the indentation of the upper receiver about 1 inch from the field sights.   The barrel is actually 10.5 inches, no marks whatsoever on the barrel.   It appears to be a heavy barrel under the handguards.   The flashhider, if one can call it that,  is 5.5 inches long and looks more like a barrel extension.   The last 3/4 of an inch being the slits for the hider portion of the hider.  I looked inside, this is not an older moderator like on the XM series of 16's the military had.   The bolt is marked "MPC" and the carrier is marked the letter "C".  

Any ideas ?

and thanks for the insight.  

Bolt and carrier are Colt (maybe M16). I don't know enough about upper receiver forgings to verify its manufacturer.

A couple more things:

Is the flash suppressor permanently attached, and does entire barrel length with it exceed 16 inches?

Also, check to make sure that there are NO M16 parts in the lower receiver. Surplus M16 parts were easy to come by back when that rifle was probably assembled, but you cannot even have one in there now. You should be alright if you have an M16 carrier in the upper though.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#11]
The hammer is M16, but the top end which is caught by the auto-sear has been filed off.   Th erest of the parts look semi-auto.  The barrel extension is threaded and easily removable making the barrel only 10.5 inches.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The barrel extension is threaded and easily removable making the barrel only 10.5 inches.  

It will need to be permanently attached in order to bring the barrel up to the legal 16" limit. Right now, you are in possession of an illegal short-barrel rifle (SBR).
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks to everyone for all the input.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top