Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2005 8:11:17 AM EDT
I've got a couple of cans of Alumahyde II that have been sitting full and unused for a couple of years and when I went to try to use them, they acted like they didn't have any pressure in them any more. I shook them for several minutes, but nothing. It's like there's no pressure in them at all. I'm guessing the paint clogged things up really good while sitting all that time. Does anyone know if there's a way to get these things to work, or do I need to trash em and buy new?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#1]
SHoot at em..youll know if there is any pressure left.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Order the correct cleanout valves from Brownells, its a very common issue, and they should be able to help you out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep working with them.  I've used about a dozen cans of Alumahyde II, and they were all a complete pain to get working.  I found that turning the can upside down and banging the nozzle on a hard surface works better than any other method I've found.z
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:05:16 AM EDT
[#4]
You may also try (along with Stickman's recommendation) putting the can in a pot of HOT water for a few minutes before trying to spray it; this'll thin the paint's consistancy a little bit.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:36:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a few of Brownells replacement nozzles if that will help.
Send me an IM with address & I will mail ya a couple.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:59:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies. I've tried different nozzles/valves, but no luck. I really didn't think that was the problem to start with though, 'cause I've never used these two cans at all. There's never been any paint sprayed from them, and the nozzles are perfectly clean. I did try a clean out nozzle just for the hell of it, but nothing happened. I think I'll try zardoz and zoom's methods next. If niether of those work, I'll try die-tryin's method.

If anyone can think of anything else, I'm all ears...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Its not the nozzle that is clogged, its the tube inside.  The Brownells replacement nozzles are designed to blast the tube clean, they are not simply replacement nozzles, and they can not be used to spray a finish.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Its not the nozzle that is clogged, its the tube inside.  The Brownells replacement nozzles are designed to blast the tube clean, they are not simply replacement nozzles, and they can not be used to spray a finish.

Right. I ordered some of those when I ordered the paint a couple of years back. I *think* I tried one the other day and didn't have any luck. Then again, I suppose I could have accidentally picked up a regular nozzle since I threw them all in the same little tray together. I was kinda ticked at that point and can't say that I was paying a lot of attention. I'll go try that again and make sure of which one I'm putting on there. I'll update you on the results later...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Update (already):

You were absolutely right. I guess when I did it the first time I must have picked up another regular nozzle instead of the cleanout one. Either that or? Anyway, that got them working. Thanks again!!!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top