Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2007 7:33:29 PM EDT
Well, I'm still trying to plan my first build and still going between RH, LH

I asked this wayyyyy down the thread so I'm asking it again.

From my research any lower will work, just get a "both ways" safety

the upper reciever will need to be left handed, as well as the bolt carrier...

Thats about all I know, What other parts are left handed specific??  I'm new to the black rifle (in case you have not noticed)  But I do have years of rifle and shooting experience, I have built partially or fully every bot action I own, and my 1911 (I know different, but I'm savy to know what to do and what to let a smith do)       At this point planning on piecing my projet together, unless I go "right" then just getting a completed upper, and just building my lower.

so if anyone could break it down, I'd really appreciate it!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#1]
There are ambi magazine catches as well.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#2]
the barrel extension is ambidextrous, with beveled lugs on both sides.  Right handed extensions are beveled on only one side.   Nobody other than Stag makes chrome lined barrels with ambi extensions, and the Stag barrels only come in 1:9 twist.  Thats something to think about if you want a chrome lined barrel that is different specs than the Stag.  Many people say a barrel with a normal extension will work fine, but if you want it the right way, you should have the ambi extension.  I've been trying to get someone to make me a chrome lined barrel with ambi extension for over a year now.  Plenty of promises, but nobody will deliver.

the other ambi parts are bolt, carrier and upper receiver.  Bolt catch and selector are optional.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 10:41:15 PM EDT
[#3]
if you were on a battlefield there wouldn't be any left handed AR's
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:03:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
if you were on a battlefield there wouldn't be any left handed AR's

It all depends. I buy left handed ARs just to ensure that a right handed person will die in a battlefield pickup situation.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:23:27 AM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:
if you were on a battlefield there wouldn't be any left handed AR's he
Take it easy-n-at,
Jeff
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:27:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I shoot strictly off the left shoulder. On my ARs, the cases eject to the right.
My safey/selector is a DPMS ambi safety, and my mag release is a Norgon mag release.
It makes the lower ambidextrous.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:29:42 AM EDT
[#7]

What has worked for me, is an extended bolt catch ( can lock the bolt with your trigger finger ) and a tach latch. I had an ambi safety at one time, but never found my self using it, so I never bought another.

Only pic I could find that showed both......and no comments on the magwell hold, that's for the other thread..
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Stripped upper+ejection port cover, Stripped bolt carrier, stripped bolt body. Pretty much all else the same. Even the port cover I wonder about. As mentioned, a regular barrel will work too. Did I miss any?
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 12:25:36 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're trying to piece together a lefty the parts you need to buy that are different are:

Ambi-selector: doesn't matter to me I still operate it on the left side.

Norgon ambi-catch: mag release, still not that big of an issue to me.

LH UR, BC and Bolt: the most important to me, SAFETY, shells eject away from me and the safety features built into the rifle actually protect me Vs. target me.
If you look at pics of an AR that has had a KB you'll see that most of the shrapnel comes out the magwell and ejection port.
Same thing with any gas or debris propelled by a blown primer.  The vent holes are where on a RH AR?

I have yet to see a malfunctioning LH AR because of a lack of an Ambi-extension, but if you can get one on your barrel get it just the same.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys, that makes everything alot clearer.

I'm going to build a left handed on, I'm going to be the only one shooting it, may as well make it mine. and it will cost me a bit moe too!!

Left handed uppers are hard to find (non- A2), dpms has a high rise, no forward assist, no cover.

stag makes a flatop with forward assist and a brass deflector, little more ???

Would the addition of a foward assist and brass deflector be worth the extra??

And did I miss anyother left handed uppers??

thanks again!!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Get the Stag; it is a true LH that uses the LH carrier, bolt and upper.  The DPMS is really only a RH upper that has the ejection port cut out on the left side.  The bolt carrier is still a RH one and because of that it dumps the gas from working the action inside of the upper on the right instead of out to atmosphere.  I have both and there is no doubt in my mind that the Stag is the best way to go.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top