Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/21/2005 10:24:33 AM EDT
MY buddy purchased a new post-ban Colt match target HBAR (with sear block in place). After the first few mags, the trigger pin would walk right ot of the receiver. We finally ordered some anti-walk pins from DPMS and thought that this would fix the problem. However, after installing the pins, we couldn't charge the rifle (i.e. the bolt carrier would not travel forward fully. It appeared to be hanging up half-way into the forward travel.

So, we opted for a set of KNS precisions pins, same problem. After a few hours of dicking with this thing, we determined that the notches int he top of the hammer  were hanging on the edge of the firing pin.

Ok, now this is where I got a case of the stupids, I filed down the notches on the top of the hammer, forgetting that the purpose of the notches was to allow the half-circle bolt carrier to reset the hammer.

Now the F&$#@ng rifle will only shoot one round, has to be manually charged in order to shoot another round.

So...................any ideas, do I just need to get another hammer from a Colt Sporter and return the rifle to it's original condition and then figure out how to keep the pin from coming out?

Anybody got a hammer from MT6601 they wanna sell??

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:27:41 AM EDT
[#1]

Next time stop and think before you do something drastic.  Better yet, ask someone here what to do before hand.

ETA:  Don't know what to tell you about the fix.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#2]
www.del-ton.com

buy a standard hammer from them.

Or else look for "upgrade" hammers
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I would replace the hammer and then send it back to colt if it is a new rifle...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#4]
The trigger pin is held in place by the hammer spring legs resting on top of the trigger pin with one leg in the pins groove.
Make sure the new pins are the correct size for the type Colt lower you have and also the new hammer needs to have the size holes required by the type lower.
If you file to much from the top of a hammer the carrier will not push the hammer down far enough to catch on the disconnector or the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Next time stop and think before you do something drastic.  Better yet, ask someone here what to do before hand.

ETA:  Don't know what to tell you about the fix.  

+1  

just order a new hammer and make sure its installed like in the tacked threads above. the spring legs hold the pins in place so check to see if the springs are lined up and if the pins are in correctly.

but since you have the kns pins then you really dont have to worry. just get a replacement hammer
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#6]
You can replace the hammer then figure out what is wrong with the pins.  You can put the whole thing in a box (in the condition it is in now) and ship it to Specialized Armament in Arizona.  They specialize in COLT rifles. I'm sure they'll replace the hammer and figure out what is wrong with the pins.

www.specializedarmament.com
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top