Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/4/2004 8:59:10 AM EST
Just ordered one up, wondering how reliable it is with their modified 45 Uzi mag...

What about a mag block that will eliminate that welded on adapter to the mags...?

GG/M3 mag conversions?

I just CANNOT handle that magazine modification, going to have to find some way around it.

Thanks for you replies!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:38:13 PM EST
I have run about 2 cases through my Olympic Arms 45 since I got it. It'll run all day as long as I keep it fed. I have modified the lower to accept GG mags but it is now a dedicated Pistol caliber lowerhttp://bsumner.photosite.com/45CaliberARProject/Picture_001.html
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:39:14 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:26:31 PM EST
I have the .45upper, or rather Cav arms has my upper.... I built a set of blocks using the Mk2 lower receiver and M3 greasegun mags. It ran great but after about 1K rounds my lower broke in half. Cav arms replaced the lower and is currently testing my upper/blocks with a new buffer to correct the problem. Hopefully they'll get it worked out and it'll run. The advantage to the Oly mags is that they're relatively light. Disadvantages are cost, holy crap they run over $70 for a 16 (only holding 15)shot mag vs $15 for M3 mags holding 30 shots. M3 mags fully loaded with 230gr ball are HEAVY, you could use them as baseball bats. I built mag blocks myself using some aluminum stock, they're not pretty but would look alot better if I had a milling machine instead of a vise and angle grinder ;) Feedramps are available for the conversion or you can buy a set of 9mm mag blocks and grind away until they fit. I will say 30 rounds of .45 out of the AR is a kick and much quieter than the .223 I dont imagine it's gonna disturb anyone more than a couple hundred yards out.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:31:44 PM EST
I shot mine today for the first time. It ran fine with four types of ball ammo. I only had time to run about 100 rounds through it. I was making easy hits out to about 80 yards with open sights. My only complaint is the mag. I only have one 10 round mag and it was damn near impossible to get 10 in it. I usually stopped at 8. My thumb is still hurting! Hopefully I will have some other type mags soon. I think that with some higher cap mags it could be my favorite plinker.
The fit and finish is pretty good but the flash suppressor has a somewhat home-made look to it.
Oh, and it bump fires really good!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:16:13 PM EST
Normal mags are 16 (though I can only fit 15 :) and should be available after a while. I have one old Dalphon too, which is a crushed G3 mag, holds 28.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:21:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2004 7:22:07 PM EST by usamark]
Oly 45 uppers run great in general - almost as fast as a Mac 10 in FA. All the mooshed GG mags I've ever seen work great. One guy even had one welded up and it holds over 50 rnds.

Here's another way around the magwell problem with a 45 upper...make your own.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:46:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2004 3:48:49 AM EST by Mr45auto]
WTF exactly is this ? It looks like an uzi mag welded to an M3 mag?

Also curious if anyone's experimented with any other mags? I've thought about peeling the welded on section off a M3 GG mag to see how much narrower it will get but I just hate to ruin one. Even at $15 each it's a shame to ruin a good mag.

Also anyone seen any deals on the Uzi 41/45 mags? I'm looking for unmodified ones to experiment with.....cheap of course.... I'm wondering if they'll be imported again or maybe manufactured here??
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:57:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By Mr45auto:
Also curious if anyone's experimented with any other mags? I've thought about peeling the welded on section off a M3 GG mag to see how much narrower it will get but I just hate to ruin one. Even at $15 each it's a shame to ruin a good mag.

Also anyone seen any deals on the Uzi 41/45 mags? I'm looking for unmodified ones to experiment with.....cheap of course.... I'm wondering if they'll be imported again or maybe manufactured here??

Vector has 10 round Uzi 45 mags, $19 each.

Myself, I want someone to make a dedicated mag that looks like a normal AR mag. I'd also like one that has a bolt hold open.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:23:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By Mr45auto:
Also curious if anyone's experimented with any other mags?

Well, sicne I sucessfully experimented with .45ACP Madsen mags, I thought I'd take the opportunity to re-post my .45ACP AR here again, since the old one has scrolled off. Here is a re-run of the old material:

For this .45 project, I started out again with a two-piece Colt mag block. The front block looked like this:

And now it looks like this:

The rear block originally looked like this:

I modified it to look like this:

Notice that I had to mill a little trough to make room for the nipple on the back of the magazines I used. Which magazines did I use? Madsen .45 ACP mags. Here's a pic of one, notched and ready to use:

I found two dozen of these magazines at a gun show several years ago. I have never found any more since. (And sorry, none of the 24 I have are for sale.) The Madsen submachinegun was chambered in .45 ACP in Brazil from 1950-1953. It was also called the INA MB50 and the INA M953. A picture of one can be see on page 409 of Ezell's Small Arms of the World. The magazine is a double-column single-feed affair, and holds 30 rounds. Yes 30 rounds of .45ACP!

The Madsen .45 magazines are larger than the standard AR15 magwell by about 65 thousandths of an inch. So, I took my dedicated lower receiver, and had it hogged out to fit the Madsen mags. The lower magwell now looks like this (both sides are shown):

After milling, the thinnest part of the magwell wall can be seen in the picture directly above this text. The measurement at that thinnest spot was just about 40 thousandths.

I then installed the modified blocks into the lower. This is what the completed lower looks like:

Fortunately, I did not have to mill out the whole area (vertically), but was able to leave a reinforcing "lip" at the very top of the magwell--where the metal is thinnest even on an unmodified lower. You can see the "lip" in the pic below:

This lip does not only act as a reinforcement. It also acts as a stop for the magazines. They cannot be over-inserted because the lip stops them. I also installed the front block about 3/32" lower than flush with the top of the magwell, so that the little "ledge" on the feed ramp of the front block could act as a magazine stop as well. So the mags are being very securely held between the mag catch, the feed ramp ledge, and the magwell reinforcing lip.

Here is the completed and assembled receiver, showing the mag inserted with a round ready for stripping and feeding. As was the case with the 9mm STEN project, I found the extra distance the cartridge travels to get to the Oly Arms forcing cone to be a non-issue. Feeding has been completely reliable.

Needless to say, I am VERY pleased with how this project worked out. The followers in the Madsen mags even hold the bolt back!

Originally posted by Mr45Auto:
I've thought about peeling the welded on section off a M3 GG mag to see how much narrower it will get but I just hate to ruin one. Even at $15 each it's a shame to ruin a good mag.

I have some decapitated M3 GG mags (just the tops) that I'm going to mess with sometime, in an effort to make a 50-round drum, when I get the $$ to buy the drum. I'll let you know when I get moving on this project...

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:31:25 PM EST
Mr45auto,

That mag is just what your thinking about experimenting with. Way back, Olympic used to remove the welded on section just as you mention then they'd smoosh it just a little. It fits in the magwell great. The pic is one of those modified grease gun mags with a second grease gun mag welded to the bottom to make it a 50 rnd mag.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:12:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By usamark:
That mag is just what your thinking about experimenting with. Way back, Olympic used to remove the welded on section just as you mention then they'd smoosh it just a little. It fits in the magwell great.

Actually, those smooshed mags were made by another company called Dalphon. They are long gone now.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 2:21:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By Corvus:
Actually, those smooshed mags were made by another company called Dalphon. They are long gone now.

http://www.dalphon.com/index.html

I remember them doing a close-out sale a year or two back, but their site is still around. Not sure if they're still out there or not.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:03:58 PM EST
I have one of Dalphon's fine lowers. None of the fire control holes are drilled straight and every part had to be filed off center to fit. I wonder if they were acquired by Hesse?

I peeled one of my M3 mags apart....a beautiful blued one. Mangled it a bit. What's the least destructive way to get the spot welds apart?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:35:21 PM EST
Sten mags work great in my Oly 45.You have to grind the feed lips down a bit so you can get a 45 in it.Then you cut a U shape in the front & back so the bolt won`t hit the mag.I use the same Socom mag block that I use for my 9mm.It catches on the metal part on the back of the mag.You can only load 16rds, but for $6.00 ea its a lot cheeper than $65.00 UZI mags.Better get you a sten mag loader,they are hard to load.I have done over 50 of them & they all work.Better buy LOTS of ammo.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:39:39 PM EST

Originally Posted By colt1911s:
Sten mags work great in my Oly 45.You have to grind the feed lips down a bit so you can get a 45 in it.Then you cut a U shape in the front & back so the bolt won`t hit the mag.I use the same Socom mag block that I use for my 9mm.It catches on the metal part on the back of the mag.You can only load 16rds, but for $6.00 ea its a lot cheeper than $65.00 UZI mags.Better get you a sten mag loader,they are hard to load.I have done over 50 of them & they all work.Better buy LOTS of ammo.

Pic of mag please.....
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:21:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2004 7:22:39 PM EST by usamark]
Mr45auto,

Dalphon or Olympic or whoever did mine used a regular 1/4" end mill and dropped down on top of each of the three spot welds. They also took a pass across the bend at the base of the feed lips. The feed lips still have the outside part of that cover plate.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:13:55 AM EST
Oly here Use 45 cal uzi mags with block welded on, and I can also use the 9mm Sten mags with the block welded on.

Top Top