Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2007 7:48:14 PM EDT
Ok first of all a while ago i went out and bought a WASR. It was cheap and satisfied my semiauto rifle (AK/ar) desire. Now I am wishing I had saved that money and put it towards an AR.

So heres my situation...Next summer I have been invited to stay with a friend out in Montana. They have around 300 acres and a prairie dog infestation

It would be cool if I could put a varminting system together before that time.

I was looking at the Delton rifle kits. And I would like an ok optic for about 100m or so.
Any reccomendations for a lower? I'll be checking gun shows for a lower.

The kicker is I'm entering university this fall. I'm conserving my funds and would like to put this all together for not tooooo much money. If necessary I will sell my wasr and ammo stash to finance this project.

So are the delton kits a good balance of quality and low price? Anyone reccommend a lower?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep your eyes  on the equipment exchange, you may find a good deal on a used one.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Keep your eyes  on the equipment exchange, you may find a good deal on a used one.

Should I go with buying a whole rifle? Best bang for your buck?

Also can you enlighten me on how to buy a gun over EE? Give local FFL as shipping and transfer from him?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#3]
check the EE/Ind board for great deals, dealers, and options; lowers can be had from ~$75 (Essential arms i believe) to ~$100 (Stag, DS, Superior arms, etc) to ~$135 (DPMS, RRA, MEGA< etc) and above

delton offers great kits for the price imo; just to be sure, you are looking for a varmiter style setup (vs a carbine/rifle)?

as to optics, the RRA or  Armalite 1-piece scope mounts are tough to beat for the price (rock solid, stable); optic wise, well, do you want a variable or non-variable, or it doesnt matter? how much do you want to spend on optics (and the AR total)?

the SWFA Super Snipers are tough to beat for the price and quality; Bushnell and Nikons are also pretty good for the price, as are the older lower end Leupolds (Vm II)

Swift, Muller, and the lower end Bushnells and simmons, and Redfields are also others that ok for the price; imo, avoid those by Barska, BSA, and other chicom brands
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Should I go with buying a whole rifle? Best bang for your buck?

Also can you enlighten me on how to buy a gun over EE? Give local FFL as shipping and transfer from him?

it depends on "building" vs "buying" whole; w/ building, you can allocate funds once in a while vs buying which you will have to pool your cash; also, sometimes, if you look around, you can save cash by building it piece by piece (esp if you look for used, kits, or deals)

"you can get things 3 ways: Fast; cheap; or in good condition--pick 2"...so its all a trade off

buying a firearm off the EE or anywhere else online is pretty simple:
--find the firearm online; pay and talk w/ that seller, who will ask you to send em a signed FFL copy (snail mail or fax)
--find a local dealer who will do FFL transfers (you can simply check you phone book and call each shop--pawnshops, gun stores, smiths, etc)
--once you find em, tell em you want to do a transfer--(keep em up to date on shipper, shipping from, and expected arrival date, etc--constant communication is key to ensuring that your FFL gets the firearm and knows its yours); prices usually range from $10-$35 per transfer (avg: $25, can be as high as 10% of the value of the fireram being transfered!)
--once either your FFL or you get the copy to the seller, the seller will mail the firearm to the FFL
--the FFL will then process the firearm, charge you to do the background check/transfer, and then its yours

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I have built most of mine due to cost. I can usually find all my parts pretty cheap on the EE but it takes some time. Not only that but you get EXACTLY what you want, and do not have to jack around with changing things around right after you get it to get it how you want it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Really I am looking for just a range rifle. I just kinda got carried away thinking about those prairie dogs, I will not be shooting varmints that much really, but i want that capability!

I can choose 2 out of Fast, cheap and good quality?

I choose cheap and good quality

I do not NEED this gun until next summer, so I can build over time if that is the way to go?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Really I am looking for just a range rifle. I just kinda got carried away thinking about those prairie dogs, I will not be shooting varmints that much really, but i want that capability!

I can choose 2 out of Fast, cheap and good quality?

I choose cheap and good quality

I do not NEED this gun until next summer, so I can build over time if that is the way to go?

if thats the case, imo, i'd do a semi build (say build the lower, which is real easy and requires no special tools) along the way and perhaps buy a nice upper down the road when you save up a few hundred or find a good deal; any extra money that you "save", you can put to ammo, mags, a trigger upgrade, optics, or other more custom options, etc

as to a "rifle that will do it all"...well that kinda selection can either get kinda pricey or a tough decision (b/c there are so many options); what, primarily do you want your AR to do (ex: defense, plinking, target, varmiting, etc)?

i'd at least look into: 16"-20'' bbl; A3/A4/Flatop upper for optics mounting; a bbl twist of 1-9, 1-7, or 1-8; 5.56 or .223 wylde chambering; either a quality SS, CL, or CM bbl; decide on a stock setup (collapsable vs fixed, etc)--these are just rough, general options that are utilitarian and commonly availability (so cheap)
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Primary role would be a plinker/target maybe, but since I don't want to shell out too much cash I'm probably going with mainly plinker. I'd like to think the rifle would still be accurate enough to smoke some prairie rats though right?

So, when it comes to lowers, does manufacturer matter that much?

I think I'm going to look into a 16" CL bbl w/ 1:9 twist and I would like a collapsible stock. And flat top upper.
Does any of that match up with me wanting a rifle for plinking/target? Lol I am a newbie to this system.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:12:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Primary role would be a plinker/target maybe, but since I don't want to shell out too much cash I'm probably going with mainly plinker. I'd like to think the rifle would still be accurate enough to smoke some prairie rats though right?

So, when it comes to lowers, does manufacturer matter that much?

I think I'm going to look into a 16" CL bbl w/ 1:9 twist and I would like a collapsible stock. And flat top upper.
Does any of that match up with me wanting a rifle for plinking/target? Lol I am a newbie to this system.

most quality AR base bbls are good enough accurate; expect ~2 MOA w/ surplus ammo, maybe ~1 MOA w/ quality ammo from a good Chrome Lined bbl at 100yrds; a match/.varminter SS or CM bbl can attain as tight as 1/4 MOA (i'd say the avg @ 100 is ~ 1/2+ MOA) w/ good ammo at 100yrds

best accuracy potential for the price is gained from a quality, match grade Chrome Moly or Stainless Steel bbl (bull/varminters are usually the most common for a good price--they are accurate enough); CL bbls tend to have less accuracy potential, but can be accurate enough for varminting, depending on the other factors (including range) and they will last longer (longer bbl life), more corrosion resistant, and easier to clean

of course, a good bbl is only one factor; other main ones will include: ammo, trigger, shooter, optics, etc

as to lowers, i'd stay away from cast and carbon lowers (hesse/vulcan is one brand to avoid); most other brands (forged, 7076-T6 aluminum lowers) are usually good to go

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, can you recommend a complete upper with those features? Or should I still go with the Delton kit and select the CL feature? Also, should I get a 20" bbl? How much difference is there?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ok, can you recommend a complete upper with those features? Or should I still go with the Delton kit and select the CL feature? Also, should I get a 20" bbl? How much difference is there?

RRA has some nice varminter and std uppers for a good price (check the RRA dealers, ADCO, eaglefirearms, legal transfers, RBPrecision, etc in the EE)
Stag makes a great quality upper for the price (aimsurplus, etc)

the delton kits are good; J&TD also has good kits

as to Chrome lining vs SS/CM...well, i'll have to leave that up to you b/c i really dont know what kind of accuracy YOU want in the end; imo: match SS for accuracy; CL for SHTF/duty

the 20" bbl offers about the most velocity w/out the bulky length for 5.56--great for those distance shots ballistically; what kinda of difference are you refering to?

also, i'd definitly read around and use your 'search' feature--get more opinions and ideas from other, previous topics
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 5:12:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Build one. A Delton-Stag can be had for about $700 and you can have the other $300 you were going to tack onto it for a new one to buy a Leupold 3x9x40.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:31:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Build one. A Delton-Stag can be had for about $700 and you can have the other $300 you were going to tack onto it for a new one to buy a Leupold 3x9x40.

I see what you're saying, but for 700$ I can buy a slightly used Bushmaster in the EE, still is building my own better to ensure condition and quality of rifle?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok I've pretty much decided on a 20" Delton rifle kit. I'll put that on a Stag lower.
Is it recommended that I go with the Chrome Lined Barrel Selection?
Also I plan to shoot mostly irons until I scrounge up enough for a sight, if I add the detachable carry handle that has the rear sight right? I don't have to order that sight separately  do I?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:45:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Just my opinion: for your first AR go with a complete rifle. It will come with a lifetime guaranty and in RRA case a MOA guaranty. Pete will walk you thru the entire process and he is honest enough to let you know if you would be better served else where (you won't) Legal Transfers
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Any opinions of the Bushmaster XM-15E2S w/ 20 inch barrel?
There is a used one I may want to get!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top