Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 7:27:01 AM EST
If i want to put a different upper on my Bushmaster, what are the pros and cons of using the same bolt and carrier in 2 different uppers. Good idea? bad idea? I have no idea.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:38:04 AM EST
The military says it's a bad idea. Without getting too technical, you basically want the upper and the bolt to "wear" together. Don't be a cheapskate and spend the extra $110 on a new RRA bolt carrier group from Adco. You'll thank yourself in the long run.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:16:34 AM EST
That's what I thought would be the case. I know it's true with all bolt actions, and I could not think of any reason it would not be true with an AR, but I figured it can't hurt to ask.

Anyone else have a openion or knowledge to Add?

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:39:19 PM EST
This comes up all the time.

As long as you have two in-spec barrels.... you can swap bolts/bolt carrier assemblies without issue.... as long as you have an in-spec bolt.

Best to have dedicated bolts.... but NOT necessary, as long as your parts are in *known* good condition.

Of course, this is true even if you have *dedicated* parts.... and yet most dont have headspace gauges... they just assume when they buy a new barrel and a new bolt/bolt carrier assembly, that they are in spec and will wear together.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:24:24 AM EST
As has been said, best practice is to get a new bolt and bolt carrier. I've done this a couple times, and the new upper always seems to sprout a new lower within a couple of months. After all, at this point, you're only $140 or so away from having a complete AR. hug.gif
Top Top