Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/1/2006 1:09:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/1/2006 1:12:38 PM EDT by guns762]
I have had a hard time justifying the mony required for the puchase of a Surefire flashlight. I mean, come on, it's a flash light..........

Wow, I was so wrong!

I know it is just the tip of the iceberg, but I just received my first Surefire G2 last night, and I am shocked at how good it is. This is going to go on my mid-length build. It is brighter than I had ever imagined. I read on this site that for every "Lume" that the light puts out, it will light up one yard. So the G2 is what, 65? something like that? I was thinking "no way it was going to light 65 yards."

OH Hell Yes!

And then some! I'm surprised my neighbors didn't call the popo last night for me shining the light on their houses. I live about 100yds from the stop sign on my street. I could easily light up the darkened entry way of the house that sits next to that stop sign, even with the street light on the opposite side of the house. There is a darkened area between two houses across the very wide street from me. It was easily lit up with the Surefire. I would guestimate that it is about 50yds away from where I was standing.

The G2 was well worth the 30-40 dollars that they cost.

To those of you who were/are still on the fence about getting a Surefire...you won't be sorry.

I'm getting another one, maybe two.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:38:38 PM EDT
And so it begins. Once you start, you can't stop.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:43:01 PM EDT
Just wait until you start getting into the $140 Aviator or the $160 LED series...... Then there's the Executive lights....and let's not forget the M500 series....

It doesn't stop. Ever.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:25:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By guns762:
SNIP

HAHAHHAHAHA

You're preachin' to the choir.

If i could make a recommendation.....

And the following is SERIOUS.

Don't spend your money "working up the ladder". TRUST ME ON THIS.

Purchase a 9 volt series weapon light, WITH a turbo head; something like a 971XM07. THEN buy a surefire M6. You will then have one of the brightest, longest throwing weapon lights, & one of the BRIGHTEST most awesome, handheld lights you can own.

See... this way... you wont spend money working up the ladder: surefire M3, then an M4, then the M6... you will just start out at the top.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:48:11 PM EDT
Congratulations.........
The G2 at 60 lumens is nice, but wait till you see one that pumps 500 lumens out the front.

I built up a Mag 2D light that runs off of 7 rechargable NiMh AA cells that makes my G2 look like a birthday candle. All for under $100.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:16:10 PM EDT

I built up a Mag 2D light that runs off of 7 rechargable NiMh AA cells that makes my G2 look like a birthday candle. All for under $100.

Details and instructions please!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:39:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/1/2006 4:39:36 PM EDT by mayassa]
candlepowerforums.comwww.candlepowerforums.com
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:50:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mayassa:
candlepowerforums.comwww.candlepowerforums.com

How did you quess?

That's where I've been hanging out lately, and that's where all my damn moneys been going.

They know flashlight stuff like we know AR stuff.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:01:09 PM EDT

I read on this site that for every "Lume" that the light puts out, it will light up one yard. So the G2 is what, 65? something like that?

You did not hear that on this site. Lumen output has no corrolation to how far a flashlight will throw. The P61 lamp for your G2 is 120 lumens and has ZERO additional throw over your current P60 lamp. The beam is wider, not more intense. It is possible for a light with half the lumen output to have twice the throw if the beam is focused tighly enough.

Also how far you can light things up is relative. The brighter your surroundings the less throw your light will seem to have as your pupil becomes constricted and the bright foreground makes dark recesses harder to see. In the dark desert on a moonless night your light will seem to light up a good 70 yards. In an urban setting 40 yards is pushing it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:03:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By macros73:

Are you serious?

It's not all easy drop in stuff, there is some light soldering and other stuff that requires a bit of work. And it's kind of a limited market for the parts, gotta' buy a battery adapter from one guy and a glass lense from another. You must have a high degree of patience to wait for all the parts. I've been waitng for an aluminum reflector for 6 weeks from one guy. They're custom made in limited batches. The stock plastic lense and reflector will melt from the heat generated from the bulb.

Go to the Candle Power Forums and look around for awhile. If your still interested, drop me an IM for more details.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:17:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/1/2006 8:18:15 PM EDT by Stainless]

Originally Posted By macros73:

He was right by saying it is kinda complicated.

BUT the absolute EASIEST way to get lots of light is the following light.....

Buy a Maglite Magcharger... and then replace the stock bulb with a Welch Allyn 1160 bulb.

Thats all you have to do... and you will get between 400-500 lumens.

Now... if you want the brightest... build a Mag85

Take a 3d maglite. Then a battery holder that holds NINE AA batteries (rechargable) in the place of three D batteries. Then replace the reflector with an aluminum one. Replace the lense with a glass one. Finally add a potted Welch Allyn 1185. or just run a bi-pin 1185 and replace the stock mag switch with the switch from the magcharger.

this will give you 1234 bulb lumens or around 800-900 lumens "out the front"
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:19:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/1/2006 8:21:48 PM EDT by MEI2757935]
I'm an idiot...

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:02:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:57:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/2/2006 8:00:23 AM EDT by guns762]

Originally Posted By Stainless:

SNIP

HAHAHHAHAHA

You're preachin' to the choir.

If i could make a recommendation.....

And the following is SERIOUS.

Don't spend your money "working up the ladder". TRUST ME ON THIS.

Purchase a 9 volt series weapon light, WITH a turbo head; something like a 971XM07. THEN buy a surefire M6. You will then have one of the brightest, longest throwing weapon lights, & one of the BRIGHTEST most awesome, handheld lights you can own.

See... this way... you wont spend money working up the ladder: surefire M3, then an M4, then the M6... you will just start out at the top.

I don't think I"m going to get anything larger than the G2. I don't like a lot of stuff hanging off of my ARs or shotguns, and the G2 fills the need that I forsee. It is more than adequate, in my mind, for CQB in and around my house. In my uninformed opinion, it fits the role with out the weight and size of many of the larger lights.

Even with street lights, it lit up areas between 70-100yds.

That is all I'm looking for, and I'm happy.

Oh, and I know all of you are in the "know" about these lights. I posted this for the lurkers, like myself, who have always considered a light, but had a hard time justifying the expenses.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:30:27 AM EDT
guns762,

Your G2 should serve you well for your purposes.
I have more powerful lights, but my G2 will be mounted on my AR eventually.

My advice is don't even look at more powerful lights, it'll only ruin it for you.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:31:31 AM EDT
If you are that impressed with a G2, you will be blown away by the nicer SF's like the "M" series.....never say never.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:52:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By thezman:
My advice is don't even look at more powerful lights, it'll only ruin it for you.

OUch.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:18:03 AM EDT
Welcome to the club, man.

I drink the kool-aid, too
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:31:39 AM EDT
I just got a G2 last week and I was impressed as you are. Puts my 3 D Maglight to shame.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:34:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Steve6:
And so it begins. Once you start, you can't stop.

Amen. Three dedicated AR forends, two 870 forends, a handfull of X200s, and Lord only knows how many handhelds...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:18:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bushwacker85:
I just got a G2 last week and I was impressed as you are. Puts my 3 D Maglight to shame.

I think that may have been the reason for my surprise also. I just couldn't imagine that much more light coming from that little light compared to my 3D maglight. Unreal.
Top Top